Colon Blow Muffins | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > Sisteritaville: Hyster Sisters Cookbook > Post Op Prunes and Moving Dishes

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Colon Blow Muffins Colon Blow Muffins

Unread 01-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Colon Blow Muffins

My very good friend passed this "keep things moving" staple that I thought I would share. I'll be baking some of these up this weekend before my surgery so I'll be ready!

1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ cups KELLOGS* AL-BRAN* cereal
1 ¼ cups milk
¼ cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup molasses
1 egg
½ cup raisins (we like dates too)

1. Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside.
2. In large bowl combine cereal and milk. Let stand about 5 minutes until cereal is moistened. Add oil, molasses and egg. Mix well. Stir in raisins.
3. Add flour mixture just until combined. Portion batter evenly into 12 lightly-greased or paper-lined 2 ½ “ muffin-pan cups.
4. Bake at 350F 20-22 minutes or until firm to the touch.

YIELD: 12 servings
VARIATION: Add 1 tsp ground cinnamon and ½ tsp nutmeg to flour.

PER SERVING: 1 muffin = 180 calories, 4.0 g dietary fibre, 6g fat, 30 g carbohydrate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Re: Colon Blow Muffins

Hi Aerius,

I made these muffins today and loved them! They're healthy and dense. I love the fact that molasses is used instead of sugar. I can't stomach the huge, sugar-filled costco-like muffins

I only modified a couple of ingredients:
*Used 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour because I ran out of all-purpose.

*Instead of the kellogs bran cereal I used fiber one.
After comparing labels of the 2 cereals, fiber one has 3 times as much fiber and does not contain corn syrup.

Next time I'll try adding dates (love em') over raisins, all whole wheat flour and play around with the cinnamon and nutmeg.

BTW: Do you or anyone reading this know of a more healthy oil to use for baking besides vegetable oil? I know it's used in quite a few baking recipes because it works well, but I'd prefer something that delivered the same results w/o all the bad fats.

These will be my breakfast staple!
Thanks again, Here's hoping for a successful BM soon
Unread 09-27-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckllr View Post
BTW: Do you or anyone reading this know of a more healthy oil to use for baking besides vegetable oil? I know it's used in quite a few baking recipes because it works well, but I'd prefer something that delivered the same results w/o all the bad fats.
My sister is a baker - not professionally but she should be! She uses extra virgin olive oil in place of vegetable oil in all kinds of recipes for cakes, muffins, etc. Same measurements - but be sure its Extra Virgin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2011, 04:43 PM

Thanks everone for the fabulous recipes. I can hardly wait to start baking (and eating
Unread 02-14-2013, 08:54 AM

Re healthy oil use extra virgin coconut oil it's healthy and taste great. Do some research on this you will be wanting to eat coconut oil everyday
Unread 09-05-2013, 01:25 PM

These sound great! I am going to bake some up this weekend! And I second the coconut oil! Great flavor and it is really good for so many health reasons. It also does not burn easily so it's great for frying. We like to eat it spread on toast with jelly. In cool weather it is a solid and spreadable and when the weather warms up it turns to liquid!
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:26 PM

In baking you can replace oil w/ no sugar added applesauce...keeps muffins more moist too!..
Unread 09-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Colon Blow Muffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckllr View Post
Hi Aerius,

I made these muffins today and loved them! They're healthy and dense. I love the fact that molasses is used instead of sugar. I can't stomach the huge, sugar-filled costco-like muffins

I only modified a couple of ingredients:
*Used 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour because I ran out of all-purpose.

*Instead of the kellogs bran cereal I used fiber one.
After comparing labels of the 2 cereals, fiber one has 3 times as much fiber and does not contain corn syrup.

Next time I'll try adding dates (love em') over raisins, all whole wheat flour and play around with the cinnamon and nutmeg.

These will be my breakfast staple!
Thanks again, Here's hoping for a successful BM soon
Hey I use coconut oil it's heavier so u use a little less but it works very good and is good for you too
Unread 10-30-2019, 08:46 PM

These are the best. The name sealed the deal for me
I added in some Chia seeds and some prune slices to up the ante, but the original version worked just fine and tasted good too!
Unread 11-03-2019, 05:32 AM

I suggest replacing 1/4 cup of the flour with ground flaxseeds, and adding in half a cup of magnesium-rich dark chocolate chips, which can really help to get things moving!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register