Scheduled TAH How mobile will I be? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How mobile will I be? How mobile will I be?

Unread 05-13-2009, 06:03 PM
How mobile will I be?

What should I expect as far as mobility after my TAH? The doctor says that I'll be in the hospital for 2 days. From what I'm reading on the site, I will be up and walking some, but how much will I really be able to walk? I'm also concerned about stairs. I'll have to walk up a few steps to get into the house, but my bedroom is upstairs. Should I plan on sleeping downstairs for a few days when I get home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Re: How mobile will I be?

HI, yes, you will be able to walk some. I guess how much will depend on how much you were used to doing before. It will not be near as much, but you will get back to where you were before. I had surgery on Friday afternoon and the doctor wanted me to walk through the halls of the hospital at least three separate times Saturday. Follow the signs your body gives you. If you get dizzy, don't walk by yourself or get too far from a seat of some kind. Take it easy. You don't want to have to walk stairs more than necessary. If it were me, I think I would stay downstairs if possible for at least a few days. The most important thing is to take it easy and follow the signs your body gives you. Best of luck.
Unread 05-13-2009, 10:05 PM

I was far less mobile than I thought I would be. I was encouraged to get up & shower in the hospital & walk. But believe the checkpoint item about not being on your feet too long! The most I could handle for the 1 - 1 1/2 weeks was maybe 30 mins at a time....then I needed to nap! I became anemic from the surgery too which I hadn't counted on. Don't push it. You could do serious internal damage. Blessings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2009, 11:01 PM

I had a LAVH scheduled and ended up with a TAH so I have both sets of incisions. I'm pretty healthy and walked a couple of miles a day before my surgery.

I was in the hospital for two nights because of the extra work they had to do. I started walking in the hospital for around 10 minutes at a time.

The ride home was pretty bad. Tell whoever is driving you to make sure you have your belly pillow and to place it on your belly after you get in the car. Buckle the seat belt over it. You'll feel every bump in the road. I also recommend closing your eyes. You have no idea how much your body reacts to the road when your not driving. Make an effort to not pay attention.

I also had to go up 8 steps to get into the house and my bedroom and tv room were upstairs. I didn't have any problems. I took my time and held onto the handrail the whole time. The thought of falling scared me a bit but I kept my eyes up and didn't get dizzy. My nurse told me that you can get dizzy if you only look at your feet so keeping your eyes up may help. I stayed upstairs for a couple of days and then went downstairs once. It made me a little sore so I really limited the trips for the first couple of weeks.

Good Luck!
Unread 05-14-2009, 02:56 AM

I had my TAH six weeks ago, and was in the hospital for four days. I was up and walking the same day. The nurses were great, and had a wonderful suggestion to take the IV pole that was in my room when I walked for balance and support. I used that thing like my life depended on it. Going to the bathroom, walking around the ward. It was a wonderful suggestion. I only walked as much a I could tolerate. Once I had enough, then I quit walking. Listen to your body and don't push yourself. I don't have stairs at my house, so that wasn't an issue for me. But I agree with the pillow for the ride home. It made a very bumpy ride home more tolerable.

Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 05-14-2009, 01:24 PM

I'm scheduled for surgery in 7 days. I also have 2 steps up to the house then a full flight to my bedroom. I asked the Dr and he told me to take the steps like a little child - one foot up then bring the other foot to that level. Same going down. I don't mind snoozing on my couch and being in the thick of things but I want a nice bed for the night time.
Unread 05-14-2009, 03:59 PM

I was up walking the next morning after my TAH. I wouldn't walk without my husband or daughters by my side. Had to hold a folded blanket on my belly. The second morning I was up bright and early walking before the sun was up by myself. It was my day to go home and was Christmas Eve. Like the other ladies said listen to your body. I am a speed walker when I exercise and I had to go at a snails pace after my surgery. As for steps my doc suggested I only do them once a day if I had to. My bedroom is on the first floor though so I only had to tackle the couple of steps getting into the house.
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:26 PM

I am enjoying reading how we all heal different, but some things are the same. Thank you for all your knowledge. I am going to be staying with my sister for about 2 weeks after my surgery. That way I don't have to deal with too much traveling, young kids jumping on me, or the stairs we have at home. Kris
Unread 05-19-2009, 09:05 AM

I had my TAH on a Monday and unfortunatley the surgical floor I was on was really busy and short staffed, the did not attemp to remove the catheter until Tuesday evening and i did not walk until Tuesday night. I dont know if it was because they left me sitting there for so long or what, but the pain and dizziness for me to walk for the first time was horrible. It took my mom and the nurse to get me up and then UH I started to feel like I was going to vomit and of course that made by incision hurt even more. This was horrible. I went home on a Wednesday and the first few days I moved so slowly, I felt like a baby because from reading the other post some women are up and moving almost right after surgery. I am moving at a much better pace now, still not as fast as I use to. Staying with your sister the first two weeks after surgery is a great idea and oh- dont forget the pillow for the ride home it will make all the difference
Unread 05-19-2009, 05:07 PM

2 days till my castle visit. My boss is working the graveyard shift Thursday night (ER Doc) after my surgery. We joked about him coming to the floor where I will be and telling the nurses to get my sorry butt out of bed cause he needed me back in the office by Monday. I told him I expect to see him and hear that he did tell the nurses that.

My goal is to get up a.s.a.p. and I keep praying everything goes as planned - no major issues. I know we need to listen to our body and rest when you need to and get moving when we have the energy. My PT told me that as soon as I can, start moving my feet - pointing and pulling them plus squeeze my butt.

I'm soooo looking forward to getting this done and not looking like I am 6-7 mths pregnant.

All the best to everyone else who is heading to the castle in the next few days.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register