Upcoming hysterectomy 6/13: Can you do this without pain medication? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 6/13: Can you do this without pain medication? Upcoming hysterectomy 6/13: Can you do this without pain medication?

Unread 05-29-2018, 06:08 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 6/13: Can you do this without pain medication?

My surgery is quickly approaching and the nerves are setting in. June 13th is my date for a total hysterectomy laparoscopic. My question to you ladies is can pain be managed with just over the counter pain relievers? I have had 2 c-sections and my gallbladder removed and each time I had to just take large amounts of ibprophen. Prescription pain meds make me severely nauseous even with anti nausea medication.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2018, 06:26 PM
Re: Can you do this without pain medication?

You may need a prescription NSAID with more oomph to it than OTC ibuprofen. I've heard of people doing this with just Toradol (keterolac), which is an NSAID, and acetaminophen but without any narcotics.

I was only on narcotics (Dilaudid) for two days after surgery. After that I was fine on OTC "extra strength" (400 mg) ibuprofen.
Unread 05-29-2018, 07:15 PM

i honestly don't know. i had IV pain meds for the first 48 hours and then i was fine with OTC. if my dr. had sent me home the day of my surgery as planned, i would have probably used just prescription strength motrin and tylenol. if you've done it before, you probably can do it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2018, 07:31 PM

I was given toradol and Tylenol in my iv after surgery, but once they took the iv out that evening, I never took anything else, not even otc nsaids, I really didn’t have much pain to speak of. I think it just depends, wish you the same easy recovery that I had!
Unread 05-29-2018, 07:43 PM

I don't like narcotics and I did it with only toradol iv and tylenol, and ibuprofen at home. I had a davinci with 5 small incisions plus a planned 5 inch bikini line incision. Worst pain was the first 24 hours, but after that it got a lot easier. I used ice pack a lot of the time. Definitely talk it out with your surgeon and anesthesiologist before so they know what you want. Good luck!
Unread 05-29-2018, 08:07 PM

Hi blkinard -

Pain after surgery is different for everyone. Some women have little to no pain, while others have high levels of pain. I had moderately high levels of pain that was controllable with narcotics alternating with Motrin. I was on narcotics only for the first 5 days. After that, I was on Motrin only.

Discuss your problems with narcotics with your doctor. S/he will hopefully be able to prescribe something for you that will work. And hopefully you will not be in much pain when you wake up from surgery:
Communicating Pain after Hysterectomy
Pain Management after Hysterectomy

Unread 05-30-2018, 04:02 AM

My prescriptions for pain medication included Oxycodone, prescription strength naproxen - an NSAID like ibuprofen - and prescription strength acetaminophen. I have poor stomach motility, and I found out the hard way - by throwing up on day 3 - that I shouldn't have been taking the Oxycodone; fortunately, I found that I was okay alternating the other two. The naproxen was upsetting my stomach, and I found I was better off taking it with food, and cutting the pills in half, taking them twice as often; not all pills can be split, so check with your pharmacist when you fill your prescription. Keeping your pain under control is paramount, so I would suggest discussing your concerns with your surgeon. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register