Looking for advice, info, direction, support, etc...(pregnancy & children mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Looking for advice, info, direction, support, etc...(pregnancy & children mentioned) Looking for advice, info, direction, support, etc...(pregnancy & children mentioned)

Unread 11-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Looking for advice, info, direction, support, etc...(pregnancy & children mentioned)

Hello Ladies!

I hope that this doesn't get too long winded, but I'm very excited to have found this site! I'm very sorry, but this post will mention children, miscarriages, and a little tmi. My apologies in advance!

I had my daughter in '99 via c section (due to placenta previa).

I had a failed miscarriage in '03, requiring a d and c.

I had an ectopic pregnancy a few months later, and was given meds so that my body would absorb it.

Had another ectopic 4 months later, requiring laproscopic surgery. It was then determined that I had developed a large uterine cyst that prevented implantation. My er visit was prompted by running around with my daughter on Halloween..I experienced an unbearable sharp pain. Turned out that the pain was from the cyst rupturing. Dr told me to wait 3 cycles and try again.

Had a miscarriage in early '04.

Dr determined that my issue was never with getting pregnant (always conceived first time). I just couldn't stay pregnant.

Waited 3 cycles. Got pregnant and was put on progesterone for the first trimester. Had my son via c section in '05.

Have had ridiculous heavy periods ever since. Went to the Dr in '07 about it. Dr recommended burning my lining, or a partial hysterectomy, but was put on cyklokapron first. Didn't help enough (relief was very temporary). Told the Dr at that visit that if the meds didn't work, I would opt for the partial. I stopped the cyklokapron after a year - it did not benefit me. However, I am self employed and cannot afford to take any time off of work. Plus, it's a cleaning business that I own, so it involves heavy lifting and being on my feet all day.

So I've put up with slowing getting sicker and sicker. Tired..Exhausted. Depressed. Muscle aches. Getting long winded after doing something as simple as walking a flight of stairs. Sleeping, but waking up feeling like I never closed my eyes. Dark circles under eyes. Pale. The big kicker for me was losing a ton of hair over the last 3 months. That prompted a visit with my GP. He ran bloodwork. He said that normal hemoglobin should be between 80 and 100 (my husband's aunt, a nurse, said that it's not uncommon to see a level of 120). Mine came back at 63. GP seemed very worried and told me to see my GYN asap. I cannot get in to see him until mid December. GP faxed my bloodwork results to my GYN, thinking that my GYN would bump me up. I've heard nothing and it's been over a week. I'm not sure if I should be getting a transfusion, or getting surgery asap...I have no clue.

I know I'll be getting the partial hysterectomy..just don't know when. My GYN said that he'd remove my uterus and cervix. I have no idea how long I'll be off of work or just how immobile I'll be. It's one thing to be off of work without pay. It's another to try to recover at home while your kids and husband tear your house apart. I know (especially with having my own cleaning business and being a neat freak) that feeling so helpless in my own home will drive me crazy. But I know that this is the right thing to do. I've had issues with my reproductive system for over 11 years..I'm just desperate for it to be over, and would love your input and advice on anything I've mentioned. I would give anything to have someone say that they understand or have gone through something similiar.

Thank you so, so much for taking the time.

Kimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Re: Looking for advice, info, direction, support, etc...(pregnancy & children mention

I can definately say that I have been there. I had 4 miscarriages before I had my daughter in '05. I have had endometriosis since I was about 14 years old and had my TVH/BSO just a few months after my 30th birthday. I did not have much trouble walking and moving around after the first week, but my lifting was restricted for 8 weeks and after that it took me another couple of weeks to get back to where I was before surgery. I wish you the best and please call your GYN back and push the issue with them if you need to. Your hemoglobin is WAY to low. Just remember that you are your own best advocate and you cannot be faulted for doing what is right for you. (((HUGS))) to you!
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Re: Looking for advice, info, direction, support, etc...(pregnancy & children mention

Doc says he'll be taking the cervix? Then that's not a partial, thats a total hysterectomy. The partial is leaving the cervix. A good option in terms of hysterectomy is Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy. The recovery time is less than with abdominal or vaginal surgery, plus no stiches are required inside your vagina.

This seems like a slow, chronic condition from the way you describe it, and you don't mention fibroids or what exactly you have now. Last scan was in 07? Sounds like you need to start from square one, get scans done, discuss ALL options which would also include hysterectomy. You do have to allow for a minimum 2 week recovery time (best case scenario) and there's no lifting for quite some time.

The only urgent matter is your iron. I can't really tell how low it is from those numbers because I'm used to grams (13, 14 being normal range). But it sounds like yes, you are very anemic and you should be on iron supplements. Before my surgery, I was taking feosol 65mg, for example, which is sold in the drug store. (I was anemic at 5.5 hemoglobin). There are also injections that can increase your iron level quickly, available thru your gyn, and also there is prescription iron available thru any doctor. In addition, your gyn can give you hormonal injections to stop/slow your periods to buy you some time to examine your options and schedule your procedure of choice.

Another short term option, is to just literally walk in any ER, have them draw your blood and determine you're anemic, and admit you for outpatient blood transfusion that very day. I know docs are careful about transfusions, but I've had several myself and the benefit to that is instant energy, strength and cardiovasular fitness. Your cheeks will be rosey, you will be able to run up and down stairs, and the strain on your heart, which you have now, will be reduced. Once you have blood on board though, make sure you don't waste what you just replaced - you would have to follow up with the gyn and be put on iron pills and/or hormones to stop/slow your period.

If you're feeling really, really bad, honestly, then just walk into an ER. Because frankly, if it's really low, it's not safe, and even if you did see your gyn he/she would be faced with the same issue - how best to raise your iron level as quickly as possible.

As far as appointments with the gyn, they often have cancellations, so it's just a matter of being diligent and calling to keep pestering them. Don't rely on them to call you.

If you're still unsure of what to do, call the gyn, talk to a nurse, explain the situation, and ask them, based upon the lab results faxed to them, are you at a critical level and should you go to the ER, and see what they say.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register