Upcoming December hysterectomy: Hospital stay? Y or N and Questions to ask Pre-Op Appt. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming December hysterectomy: Hospital stay? Y or N and Questions to ask Pre-Op Appt. Upcoming December hysterectomy: Hospital stay? Y or N and Questions to ask Pre-Op Appt.

Unread 11-17-2021, 04:35 PM
Upcoming December hysterectomy: Hospital stay? Y or N and Questions to ask Pre-Op Appt.

My uterus’s days are numbered! I have a pre-surgical appointment on Dec.6th, and I was wondering what were some questions you wished you asked. He will be completing it laparoscopically and has given me the choice of a hospital stay or not. What were some of your experiences? Did you wish you would have stayed or did you and was it worth it? We’re you provided a binder or did you have to buy it yourself? Any other things you found were beneficial or wish you had you didn’t? I am planning to return to work after two and a half weeks. Any info or advice would be appreciated!
-Dana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2021, 08:44 PM
Re: Hospital stay? Y or N and Questions to ask Pre-Op Appt.

Hi drohal to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

For your pre-op appointment, make a list of questions on a pad and bring it with you. Also bring another person, family or friend, as two sets of ears are better than one.

Here are articles that may provide information:
Making the Most of Your Pre-op Appointments for Hysterectomy
Questions for Your Pre-Op Hysterectomy Appointment

I had a much different surgery than you (total abdominal hysterectomy with 6-inch incision), so my hospital stay was 3 1/2 days. I will let the Laparoscopic ladies chime in on this one.

Regarding binder. This really is a personal choice. I never had one and never felt I needed one. Some women swear by them. If you think you may want one, talk to your doctor first, as some doctors do not want you to wear one.

Here are 10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy. What I found most useful were the following:
-Meals in the freezer that can be put in the microwave
-Easy foods for breakfasts and lunches
-Loose fitting clothing
-Prepare your recovery corner with pillows and blankets
-Plan entertainment for your brain
-Small pillow to hold against your tummy for coughs and sneezes (or pet visits)
-Super clean your house
-Get your hair cut

Regarding returning to work....
Your time off of two and half weeks may not be enough. You may need more time, so play that by ear. Can you go back part time? Work takes more energy than you realize. Sitting takes more energy than you realize. Be as flexible as possible.

Remember that recovery is not a contest, nor is it a race. It is more marathon than sprint. You need to follow all of your doctor's orders to the letter - no additions, no subtractions. Listen to your body carefully, and do not push yourself too hard because if you do you could damage yourself. You only get one chance to heal right. Here is an article: Too Much Too Soon After Hysterectomy?.

Unread 11-18-2021, 04:02 AM
Upcoming December hysterectomy: Hospital stay? Y or N and Questions to ask Pre-Op Appt.

If you have a smartphone, then I suggest checking your app store for a medication tracker to track your pain medications, a notepad or voice recorder to record your questions and your surgeon's responses, and a few games or puzzles to occupy your brain. A few more helpful items I suggest: a good pair of walking shoes; an easy-open water bottle, peppermint tea, fiber from frozen blueberries and whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran, magnesium from dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds, fennel or coriander seeds to chew on after every meal, and flaxseeds to grind in a coffee grinder to help to relieve post-op gas and constipation; a Squatty Potty or small footstool to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, which can help with those post-op bowel movements by properly aligning your rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly; disposable dishes and cutlery to minimize clean-up work; exension cords for plugging in your electronics; a grabber for picking up small objects off the floor. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register