Dr Is Trying to Wean Me Off Progestrone | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr Is Trying to Wean Me Off Progestrone Dr Is Trying to Wean Me Off Progestrone

Unread 07-17-2002, 09:20 AM
Dr Is Trying to Wean Me Off Progestrone

I went in for my yearly pap smear yesterday. I am currently on the Climara Patch and taking 100 mgs of Prometrium to help with my insomnia. My Dr. brought up the studies that were done. He was a little concerned and said he'd like to wean me from taking my Progestrone since the study was done with estrogen/progestin combination. He said there might be some relationship, but the study had all of them on edge. We discussed how after first removing ovaries, your body goes into such a shock. It's been 3 years since my hysterectomy so he thinks that my insomnia should improve. Dr. wrote another perscription for Prometrium and Climara patch. He said he wanted me to try Tylenol PM or Benadril to help me sleep at night instead of taking the Prometrium.

Has anyone tried Tylenol PM or Benadril for sleep with success? My HRT has been working wonderful and I hate to spoil a good thing, but this study has me concerned as well as many of you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2002, 09:53 AM

Maria,

I agree- it is very confusing :confuse: and the truth is no one knows that to do with this new information. My guess your doc is trying the best he can to balance this new information and your need. The studies released recently are just the last in a series suggesting HRT doesn't have as many long term health benefits as we have thought.

With any drug being used for a long period of time, periodically re-evaluating one's need is a good thing. I've been asked to reduce my estrogen over a period of time, and I've also been told to actually take the time and not do anything drastic like stopping cold turkey (unless I really wanted to do so).

My doc did suggest - and order - a full battery of tests first - cardiac tests, bone density scan etc. That way we can monitor what is going on and determine if I need a drug for osteoporosis prevention.

I've cut my dose in half once (from a fairly high dose), and it took a couple of tries, but I'm OK. I'm not doing it again until the hot weather is over. A in 100 degree heat like today is not a pretty sight

Dorrie
Unread 07-17-2002, 02:16 PM

Hi
I had alot of sleep problems after my hysterectomy while on premarin and especially prempro. Once I switched to biest and added natural progesterone, sleep has been great. Yes,I used over the counter products for sleep and also prescription sleeping pills. Nothing worked as well as natural progesterone. It was my understanding that mpa - a synthetic progestin in provera is the reason why the study was halted. Also read somewhere that natural progesterone does not adversely affect the effectiveness of estrogen.
I'm sticking with my natural progesterone for now.
Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2002, 05:16 PM

Because progesterone and progestin are NOT the same, I would stay on the progesterone and not worry at all. Progesterone is a wonderful and protective hormone. Progestin is a synthetic hormone that has been shown even before this latest study that it was dangerous. Why is it doctors will give pregnant women natural progesterone (to maintain the pregnancy) but not progestin? We make progesterone suppositories for these women and they do fine.

There is this theory that women who have lots of progesterone during their pregnancies may have calmer and smarter children. Women who are low may have children with ADD and ADHD. Interesting.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register