Not Scheduled Question on Ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question on Ovaries Question on Ovaries

Unread 06-09-2021, 08:53 PM
Question on Ovaries

Hey everyone.

I’m new. I’m not scheduled yet. The Dr needs to work with my insurance but he says I have a good case. I am 35 and was diagnosed with adenomyosis after my third child a few years ago. He suspects I have more than adeno going on in there.

My MIL is a RN. She suggested that I ask the dr to take my ovaries to prevent cancer. She said I should do this even if it doesn’t run in my family. She’s seen cases of ovarian cancer after hysterectomy. She herself has had a full hysterectomy including ovaries.

What do you think?

In the long run I don’t want to deal with a period anymore. I’ve had so much trouble for so long, I just want it all out. Lol
But then I hear about the ups and downs with hormonal therapy. I feel like that’s what I am dealing with now, so how hard could it be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2021, 10:29 PM
Question on Ovaries

You should definitely get an opinion on the ovaries. I am 40, lost my ovaries at 39 from endometriosis. I am on hrt which so far is working wonderfully. I dont feel any different and i am happy that I no longer have to worry if my ovaries will cause problems. Losing ovaries is a big deal tho, my dr wanted to save them or at least 1 but she couldnt. It all worked out tho, i am happier than ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassgib View Post
Hey everyone.

I’m new. I’m not scheduled yet. The Dr needs to work with my insurance but he says I have a good case. I am 35 and was diagnosed with adenomyosis after my third child a few years ago. He suspects I have more than adeno going on in there.

My MIL is a RN. She suggested that I ask the dr to take my ovaries to prevent cancer. She said I should do this even if it doesn’t run in my family. She’s seen cases of ovarian cancer after hysterectomy. She herself has had a full hysterectomy including ovaries.

What do you think?

In the long run I don’t want to deal with a period anymore. I’ve had so much trouble for so long, I just want it all out. Lol
But then I hear about the ups and downs with hormonal therapy. I feel like that’s what I am dealing with now, so how hard could it be.
Unread 06-10-2021, 03:48 AM
Question on Ovaries

I agree that you need a second opinion on this. Arguing for removal of your ovaries because "they could become cancerous" could apply to almost every single organ in your body, and without any concrete risk factors, this argument simply does not hold water. You didn't mention your age or where you are relative to menopause, but even after menopause, the ovaries continue to produce small amounts of hormones that are vital to your heart health, bone strength, and overall well-being, and as many sisters have found, HRT is not an equivalent substitute. I kept my ovaries at age 48 because my surgeon and I agreed that the benefits of their continued hormone production outweighed the cancer risk; I did have my Fallopian tubes removed, because recent studies suggest that ovarian cancer often starts there, so that's something you might want to consider. Best wishes for whatever you decide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2021, 07:11 AM
Re: Question on Ovaries

there are so many benefits to keeping your ovaries, please get a second or third opinion. removing them will put you in surgical menopause and you don't know how your body will react to that. HRT is not the same as your own hormones. you get so many benefits from your ovaries, even small amounts after menopause. do a lot of research. I personally would never let a dr remove my healthy ovaries.
Unread 06-10-2021, 05:02 PM

I agree with the great advice you’ve received here. Please get other opinions that take your overall health and family health history into consideration. If my ovaries were healthy, I personally would have fought to keep them too.

Please check out this article (and those to the right of it offering additional articles:

Reasons to Keep Your Ovaries

Should I Keep My Ovaries

Do your own research and decide what is best for you!

We are here for you on tur journey.
Unread 06-10-2021, 07:29 PM

Hi Cassgib to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

If you ovaries are healthy, you may consider keeping them. At age 35, you are young to lose them. I lost everything at age 46 - no choice for me. Surgical menopause for me was MISERABLE. My GP at the time put me on HRT and it gave me my life back. But, it is not the same as my own hormones. If I could have, I would have kept one or both ovaries.

Beyond the articles from (((Marciamae))), here is some additional information:
25 Health Risks Related to Oophorectomy and Surgical Menopause
HRT, Heart Disease, and Surgical Menopause

In addition, you may consider keeping your ovaries, but having your Fallopian tubes removed, as studies have indicated that ovarian cancer starts there:
Fallopian Tubes and Ovarian Cancer

Talk to your doctor about the pros and cons of keeping your ovaries, given your specific medical condition. Get alternate opinions from other doctors. Do research, and make the best decision for you.

Unread Yesterday, 03:53 AM
Question on Ovaries

I was doing some thinking since my earlier posting, and I realized that it's your MIL, a registered nurse, who is recommending that you have your ovaries removed. As much as she has a right to her opinion, attempting to influence your medical decisions falls outside the scope of her nurse's licence, and you could legitimately file a complaint against her with whoever regulates nurses where you live. The next time she brings up the topic, I suggest telling her that while you do understand her concern, the final decision on this is strictly between you and your surgeon, and if she persists at pushing her opinions on you, then you will file a complaint. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register