dVH/RALH 5 weeks post total hysterectomy & BSO: Normal recovery pain? Fed up ☹ | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weeks post total hysterectomy & BSO: Normal recovery pain? Fed up ☹ 5 weeks post total hysterectomy & BSO: Normal recovery pain? Fed up ☹

Unread 06-10-2021, 02:15 AM
5 weeks post total hysterectomy & BSO: Normal recovery pain? Fed up ☹

Hi All I'm week 5 from a total radical laparoscopic hysterectomy..ive been doing well but have found the last two weeks tougher. I'm definitely more tired. I thought I was doing well with pain but the last two days I'm back to week one level of pain. I am definitely moving more now, taking care of family, but no heavy lifting or vacuuming, but I thought I should be at this stage? On Tues I went shopping with my sister but was home and resting after two hours. Had a lot of pain that night. Then yesterday met a friend for coffee and a bit of walk around shops but no more than an hour and for the rest of the day and night I was in agony. I'm just so fed up amd frustrated.. My recovery instructions from hospital say I should be walking a lot more at this stage but if I do the swelling and pain is very bad. Any advice? Anyone else the same? Or have I done some damage? Finding this forum great as I can't talk to anyone else aboit it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2021, 07:18 AM
Re: 5 weeks post total hysterectomy & BSO: Normal recovery pain? Fed up ☹

I'm not sure why you thought you should be able to do heavy lifting and vacuuming at 5 weeks.. The vast majority of us have those restrictions for 6 weeks, and even after we're cleared, we're advised to resume gradually - and you've not yet been cleared. With both of my surgeries, there was no way I could have lifted 30# boxes at 5 weeks without hurting. It was more like 10-12 weeks. Keep in mind, it's major surgery. The only thing "minimally invasive" about robotic or laparoscopic surgery is the incisions, but internally you've had 5 sets of ligaments, many blood vessels and connective tissue cut as well as organs removed. Anything which was bleeding from the procedure has been stitched or cauterized. All that takes healing, and the process takes many weeks. In your case with a radical hysterectomy, you had more tissue removed than most of us did.

In my recovery (kept both cervix and ovaries), I was cleared earlier than most, but I still got swelly belly daily through 8 weeks, and dull cramps whenever I'd do more than my body was ready to do. I can remember specific instances at 8-1/2 weeks, 12 weeks and 5 months where those symptoms would revisit.

Your level of pain seems to be more than it should be, but the reasons could be anywhere from a complication of some sort... to doing too much for where you are in healing. What would you say your pain level is on the scale in this article? (That makes sure we're on the same page.) If you're moving around more at home and two outings on two consecutive days put you under, too much activity may be the case. Have you tried pulling back and resting, really resting, for a day or two to see yow you feel? Our article Can I Rush Hysterectomy Recovery? covers all this well.

The article does suggest that if you start having more lousy days to give your doctor's office a call, and it sounds like you're at that point. You might be asked about your activities, so be open and honest about them. You don't mention any other symptoms which would indicate something else is going on (more than a low-grade fever, abnormal discharge, warmth, bruising or redness around your incisions). Your doctor may echo that you're doing too much, but upon talking, if it's suspected something else is going on, you'll have a head start on getting an answer.

Remember, healing takes many weeks, you're still under a doctor's care in the process, and it's not necessarily a straight line feeling-better-every-day. The goal is not to get back to normal activities as soon as possible, but to heal properly for however long that may take...and you get once chance to heal properly. Be kind to and patient with your body, it's been through a lot.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register