24 hr bowel prep plus clear liquid at 48 hours ! Anyone ever starve before? Help... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

24 hr bowel prep plus clear liquid at 48 hours !  Anyone ever starve before? Help... 24 hr bowel prep plus clear liquid at 48 hours ! Anyone ever starve before? Help...

Unread 08-31-2004, 07:11 PM
24 hr bowel prep plus clear liquid at 48 hours ! Anyone ever starve before? Help...

I am on a low fat low fibre diet 48 hours pre surgery (ie no red meat, no fuit, no veg, no brown bread, no rice, no cheese/milk), - but I can eat white bread with no butter - yay!

A bowel prep that starts at 7.30 am the day before, with a 'top up' at 3.30pm (like I'll have anything left) as well as a clear liquid diet only that day (not even white bread!) but I have to drink heaps - black tea, clear juices, lucozade, and as a special treat, I can have hard lollies. Then nothing after midnight!

Has anyone ever starved beforehand? All tips would be greatly received......before I fade away.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2004, 07:35 PM
24 hr bowel prep plus clear liquid at 48 hours ! Anyone ever starve before? Help...

Hello There!

I am one who (obviously, since I am here!) didn't starve to death before my surgery! Your post caught my eye, because I just recently replied to a LIW who is due for surgery tomorrow, who was stressed out about the fact that she was supposed to go out for a meal with her family, and she was so nervous that she feared she couldn't eat! It all goes to show how different we are! Fear makes some of us ravenous, and some of us...not!

For me, the pre-op fasting was not bad at all. Truthfully, I was too jittery and preoccupied to enjoy a meal anyhow. Your restrictions start sooner than mine did, however. But....you sound like a strong Sister to me, I think you'll do just fine.

Best Wishes and Many s to You!
Unread 08-31-2004, 08:43 PM

i had a few days the week bfore surgery of clear liquids (i had an ivp scheduled etc). it was easy for me because my appetite went to nearly zero before surgery. i lost 10 lbs from the anxiety! then i had 2 days of clear liquids after surgery because they wouldn't (couldn't) give me any food until i farted! i like jello, sorbet is nice. those are both considered clear liquids. i am not a big broth fan, but if you are you can have broth. i could have tea, but not coffee. sherbet is allowed as well. so, you won't starve, but not fun! juice and seven up/ginger ale/sprite are ok, dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2004, 11:11 PM

I had colon surgery a year after my hysterectomy. For that one, my bowel prep lasted two days and consisted of antibiotics and clear liquids both days, plus Fleet Phospho Soda both days, followed by nothing after midnight the night before surgery, not even water.

By the time I got to the castle, I wasn't hungry (too nervous) but was dehydrated. I was feeling weak and shaky. The DR had anticipated this, and had me arrive an extra hour or so early so they could put in the IV and get me on IV fluids before the actual surgery.

I had an NG (nasogastric) tube after surgery. It was a couple of days before I could even have ice chips - got everything from the IVs. Finally I got solid food four days after the surgery.

Yes I was starving! But not right away. The hardest part was the first couple of days after surgery.... my mouth kept getting dry. The hospital had these little lollipop looking things that consisted of a piece of sponge with some kind of moistening, freshening substance in it, on a stick. I lived for those, and did get kind of cranky.

But, starving for two days prior to the surgery wasn't really all that hard. I had chicken broth, gatorade (clear flavors, like Lime Ice), light colored jell-0, very light jasmine green iced tea and of course lots of water.

You can do it! Good luck with your surgery, I hope everything goes well.
s,
-Linda
Unread 09-01-2004, 12:47 AM

Thanks Ladies - I have just scoped the supermarket shelves - seems that every soup oozes its creaminess, which normally I would like. I did find chicken consomme which is a soup base - I guess thats as good as I can get?

Surferbabe - you have had some experience at all this - hope you are getting on top of your health problems now. Best wishes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register