Big Decision Time: Remove Ovaries or Not - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Big Decision Time: Remove Ovaries or Not Big Decision Time: Remove Ovaries or Not

Unread 03-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Re: Big Decision Time: Remove Ovaries or Not

So, my surgery is THIS Tuesday march 15 and I am still undecided about taking my ovaries. Does your age play a big part in decision making? I am going to be 52 years old in May. Should I just have them take my ovaries. How much longer will they even produce estrogen? I already have been experiencing the hot flashes and now I have been experiencing some of the night sweats. Do I risk ovarian cysts or even worse ovarian cancer for a few more years of estrogen in my ovaries or should I keep my ovaries? i just can not make up my mind and i am running out of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2011, 05:31 PM

None of us can decide for you but we can tell you what our decision was. Mine was to keep my ovaries. Like you, I am 52 years old, have been peri-menopausal for a couple of years (hot flashes and irregular periods) and I decided to keep mine. I did not want to get thrown into surgical menopause. My doctor wanted to remove my ovaries as a preventative measure against cancer. I refused. When he pushed, I told him that "Okay, how about we remove my legs, my arms and my breasts! Let be really preventative!" He got the point that I didn't want them out. So when he found superficial endometriosis on my ovaries, he and his resident discussed taking them out but thankfully, they left them in because I was so adamant about keeping them. He did cauterize the endo.

I have since found out that even after menopause, ovaries continue to put out a low amount of hormones and your own "free" hormones are better than anything you can get from a pharmacy. You also need to remember that once they are out, they can't put them back in. I didn't see the point of removing something that was healthy because of a remote possibility of cancer when there is no history of ovarian cancer in my family.

For a bit of a comparison in term of surgical menopause and natural menopause, I had some pretty good hot flashes starting right after surgery. I can't complain because compared to what I have been reading on here, mine were minor. However, they were definitely stronger than what I had had before. At four months, my hot flashes stopped and now two weeks later, I am back to getting the same kind I had before surgery. I guess my ovaries went to sleep for a bit after the surgery and now they are basically back to normal. I get a bit warm, I notice I am warm, and then it is gone. All in all, I am really glad I kept my ovaries even though there is Stage 1 Endometriosis on them and my doctor said that shouldn't affect me in the long run.

So long story here, but I hope it helps you make up your mind. You need to do what you feel in your gut that is right for you! Don't be bullied into a decision that you aren't comfortable with. Hope this helps.
Unread 03-12-2011, 06:58 PM

Thank you so much everyone

All you answers are amazing. For and against. I still don't know what to do. Am seeing GP on Wednesday for a chat. Maybe she can throw somemore light on it for me. I'm having a laparoscopy on 21/3 to see if I can have a vaginal one and to see if there is anything sinister going on in there.

Keep the messages coming. I need all the help I can get.

Thanks sisters....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2011, 07:04 PM

I know that it's different for everyone. But, for me, my doctor kept one ovary- the one that wasn't a live-wire and full of disease.

It didn't matter as far as menopause- because, I started hot flashes and night sweats anyway last week. LOL.

So, if I'd known now what I knew then (so to speak) I'd have asked him to take them both out regardless.
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:07 PM

Good luck on Tuesday Mather. Let us know what you decide. Mine is booked for 18/4 so I have a little bit longer to fret over it
Unread 03-13-2011, 12:50 PM

Thank you all for your replies and experiences. I am listening to EVERYONE, but still haven't made that decision yet ............ and my surgery is this coming TUESDAY. I am just soooo nervous now that I can't even think straight. I just wish that it was over already. This waiting is driving me insane; especially because I don't know what to do about my ovaries. I am fearful of ovarian cancer or that they would have to go back in and operate because of ovarian cysts. I just don't ever want to go through another operation like this again. This is my first operation so I am scared to death. If I am already experiences hot flashes and night sweats then how much worse will it be? Can I change my diet instead of going on any hormone therapy at all? Will I even need HRT if I am already experiencing this. I just can't believe that I am going into my final days here and still don't know what the best decision is. I am driving everyone around me crazy now. LOL I have to laugh or I will cry.
Unread 03-14-2011, 09:25 AM

I hear ya sistah. I'm struggling with the same issue. I know it's a good thing that I have a choice, but sheesh, it's HARD to choose. I'm more often on the remove them side. I even find it a bit confusing that the doctor doesn't have an opinion. That makes me think that the medical research isn't all that compelling either way. There are some very strong advocates of keeping them; but I can't really tell how much of that is based on science or experience versus what's the current "in" thing. (No pun intended, at least not at first). Arghhh. The reason I lean toward having them removed is the hope that PMS symptoms would go away---and not be replaced by something even worse. Anyway, nothing that helpful, but I am so with you on this.
Unread 03-14-2011, 11:37 AM

There is a history of ovarian, cervical, uterine and breast cancers in my mother's side of the family, including my mother. I pretty much figured that my ovaries were probably already damaged because I had ovarian cysts in the past, was on birth control from age 13 until age 32. And, I had an idea that I would be riddled with adhesions, just didn't realize HOW BAD. Before my consultation with a gynecologist about ablation or hysterectomy, I had pretty much written off my ovaries. Logically, a hysterectomy was the best choice and that's what we went with. I didn't struggle with decisions when it came to cervix or no cervix. We got rid of the cervix and honestly I don't really notice any difference just yet - and doubt that I will because sex was painful if my cervix was touched, and it would cause bleeding. I was more than willing to get rid of the nasty little buggah. We talked about my ovaries just briefly, and we mutually decided that it would be best to see how they looked and to keep them if they looked good, if they didn't look good, they would come out at my doctor's discretion. I lost one. She told me that I lost one and I really didn't bat an eyelash. What did astound me though, was she said that the other one was in pristine condition so she left it. I am just going to have to be proactive about annual cancer screenings. I already had a lumpectomy before Thanksgiving. I have not received my path report yet on the one bad ovary. I was told there was a 4cm cyst on it, AND the ovary was also terribly enlarged and didn't "look good". She was unwilling to speculate if that "doesn't look good" may mean that there is cancer involved. So, we are waiting. If it does turn out to be cancer though, I just know that I'm going to be kicking myself in the rear for NOT saying, "just take them both out" from the very beginning.

I try to use what is logical and rational when it comes to making decisions. I just wished that my boyfriend would have helped in the discussion a bit, but he was telling me that since they are my reproductive organs, it's my choice and whatever choice I choose is all right with him. So, as I was dismissed from my consultation and told to come back in a week with my decision, I sat and wrote down all of the pros, cons, and then crossed off the ones out of either of the lists that really didn't make any logical sense whatsoever -- like weight gain, hot flashes, PMS symptoms, mini periods, etc that can be taken care of by a totally different logical decision. I am told that I analyze things way more than whats necessary.

The end result after careful consideration should always mean that Good Health and Longer Life is the ultimate goal.

I believe that everyone should think about Good Health and Longer Life as the bottom line, after all is said and done, is your choices going to help you achieve this as a long-term goal?
Unread 03-18-2011, 11:55 AM

If I had been given the choice I would have left in at least 1 ovary.

They thought I had cancer so everything was taken out enbloc, massively nasty surgery. Turns out the most suspect mass was non malignant, at least at the time of surgery, it was a fairly rare tumor and 80% of them are found to be cancerous so I understand why my surgeon changed procedures mid surgery.

I am on ERT but still have some problems from having instant menopause. Its been about 8 months and maybe they will get better but who knows.

Its funny this morning I was just jotting down a list of fun things from after surgery and how I deal with them.
Unread 03-18-2011, 10:24 PM

Thank you ladies.

I agree MissRowena, the final outcome should be good health and a longer life.

Susanlaire, what kind of problems did you get and what are still around?

My laparoscopy is Monday. I'm getting a bit nervous in case he finds something bad!!!!

Thanks, Alison

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register