Scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Scared

I am three days away from surgery and scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Re: Scared

Scared is a normal response. But like all of us you will be happy when it is all over.

I was scared, too. Anxious and sleepless for days. Now, I'm four weeks post op.
Unread 03-29-2011, 04:28 PM

Hi! It's normal to be scared. Are there some specific concerns? If you can articulate your fears and discuss them with others, it really helps.

For what it's worth, my surgery done using daVinci robot-assisted laparoscopy. I'm 18 days post-op and have had a very easy recovery. I started back to work (from home) yesterday. I still can't lift or anything, but that's ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2011, 04:45 PM

Your fear is very understandable. I know when I went through it, I was terrified. I assure you though, that all the worrying that I did was unsubstantiated. Everything went down without a hitch. I was in pain for a few days, but I was given medication to keep that pretty tolerable. in reality, in my situation, I had much more to fear had I not had the procedure done. Just hang in there, everything is going to be just fine.

Regards,
Nancy
Unread 03-29-2011, 05:34 PM

Well-you're normal ,it's ok to be scared.I had a huge meltdown about 10days before my surgery.
I'm sure you have a very good Dr.and you will do really well.
Good luck-listen to all the good advice on this site and you'll be fine.
And have some stewed prunes for breakfast when you get home!
Good luck
leoslion
Unread 03-29-2011, 06:01 PM

I think that we were probably all scared before. It is totally normal. I was scared to death and nothing happened. If you have specific concerns let us know. Someone will have had it or know of the answer. I am sure you will be fine. And if you have questions, please feel free to ask.
Unread 03-29-2011, 06:49 PM

I'll echo what the others have been saying, I was scared too. I had never had surgery on top of the ramifications of a hyst. There was so much to get on order and work was a nightmare the week before. However, when I went in last week, it was nothing like I had feared. All my fears before hand almost made the actual experience better since nothing was near as bad as I thought. I think the actual day of surgery was more stressful on my family, as I was out pretty quick and then given morphine later. And recovery so far has been hard, but the hints and support on this site have really helped me through. I wish you well and hope you have an easy recovery.
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:47 PM

Hey,
I am 3 weeks post-op for a TAH. I was really scared too, but what helped me to not feel so scared is that I had just watched my Mom go through almost the same surgery (without the abdominal cut) three months before.

So I knew the big hurdles. And each time I felt scared I thought through the hurdles and somehow that made me feel better. It is not so scary when you know everything that will happen. So here is my story and maybe it will help you not be so scared.

I was first worried about the day before surgery and not eating. I hate being starved. But it was fine. I was able to eat light breakfast (eggs) and lunch (sweet potatoes & fish) and had broth and Ensure for dinner (all doc's orders). My doctor told me to just make sure I had a good BM night before surgery, nothing within 8 hours of surgery, which I did and everything was OK.

I worried about what to take to the hospital, but then I read every pre-op post I could find and made a list and took EVERYTHING that the other ladies had said and it comforted me to have all my stuff. I was SO glad I had taken the time to read those posts. I even took my microfiber blanket, own tummy pillow, big T-Shirt and pajama pants and changed into them on the 2nd hospital day. Felt great to be in my own clothes with my own things.

Next hurdle was going to hospital and getting prepped for surgery. That was a breeze. My mom had acted like it was a doc appointment, so I did the same. I have had doc appointments that were worse than getting ready for the surgery. At the hospital I only had to change clothes, get an IV drip put in and put on leg stockings for circulation and that was it. All the docs and nurses came in and talked to me before hand and were very reassuring. The thing about being put to sleep is that one minute you are talking to the doctor and the next second (and it really seems like a second) you are waking up and it is completely over. That fast.

So the next hurdle I knew would be the pain when I woke up. I was in my room already when I woke up and and it did hurt, but it was very brief because the IV morphine drip and whatever else they gave me took the pain away. I felt a little sick at my stomach after waking up, but at about 12 hours post-op, the nausea went away and I was out of pain and everything was OK. The pain meds kept me pain free from that point on. I even ate a regular dinner that night. I was able to sleep most of the night I guess because I was knocked out.

The other hurdle that I worried about was the catheter. I don't know why I worried about, but I was more scared of that than anything. But they put it in during surgery and when I woke up I couldn't even feel it. Didn't bother me AT all. And the next morning they pulled it out and I felt a minor pinch that I wouldn't even call a pain. Nurses helped me up. I was able to pee and from that point on I could get up out of bed to pee. Yeah. And the nurses made me walk in the hall twice that day. So the thing that worried me the most was the thing to fear the least.

The last hurdle (I spent two nights in the hospital) that for me was a hurdle was turning over in bed. The first night it hurt to move so I mostly just lay still. But when I wanted to turn over, I called the nurses and they helped me turn over on my side. But by the 2nd night, I could do it on my own. Not fun, but not scary. I just had to learn how to do it.

My surgery was on Tuesday and on Thursday they said I could go home. I asked to take a shower on Thurs. morning and was allowed to. I got in the shower by myself, washed my hair, dryer it, fixed it with my curler and put makeup on. Not easy, but manageable. I took a walk down the hall at the hospital by myself and then my DH picked me up to go home.

And then I found the first 7-10 days at home hard because you are so sore! Hard to move or do anything. What scared me the most those first days was how swelly and bad my stomach looked. I wish I had been more prepared for that. BUT... I have put lots of ice packs on it and rested and walked each day and it doesn't look scary anymore. I can even get into my regular clothes since I don't wear tight clothes anyway. It is OK and looks better and better each day. So though far from perfect, I now know it WILL be fine with patience.

So, just watch TV, read, sleep, put your feet up and relax. And suddenly at about 10 days, I felt like things really started getting better quicker. I am now driving, going for longer and faster walks, going out to eat and my DH and I even went on an over night trip. Still tired, still sore, but so happy it is done and I am on my way to a happier life.

So, I know this was long post and sorry about that. But I really hope this helps you not feel so scared.
Unread 03-29-2011, 09:46 PM

What helped me be less scared was I read hystersisters for hours, and hours, and hours! I ready everything I could . . . Lots of articles, resources, etc., etc., . . . It really helped me!
Unread 03-30-2011, 07:51 AM

I appreciate all of the help. I am so glad I found this group. I am taking all of the advice.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register