Scheduled LAVH Petrified and about to crack... - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Petrified and about to crack... Petrified and about to crack...

Unread 05-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Re: Petrified and about to crack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSPiper View Post
I'm almost 7 weeks post-op now, and can relate to everything you are going through. At first, I was very private about what was going on with me. I told my husband, of course. Then I told my supervisor, since I was going to be out for a few weeks. Then I attended an out-of-town training, and ended up going out to dinner with one of my co-workers. I ended up telling her all about it, and she ended up telling me all about her marital problems, and by the end of the evening a lot of the mystery and fear about the whole situation was diminished. We have the right to privacy, and when I talked to the admin person for filing the paperwork for FMLA, she said I didn't even need to tell my supervisor. But I had to coordinate with a lot of people to make sure miletones on my projects were either done early, postponed for my return, or delegated during my absense, and I found it easier to just say, "I'm going to be on medical leave for 6 weeks..." I ended up telling just about everyone that I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer and would be on leave for surgery. The upshot of this is that I was included in two different prayer circles, I had people who sent me flowers or cards, and my co-workers brought me care packages with homemade food for the first two weeks post-surgery.

I'm sorry to be so wordy. I found it really helped me to know that I had two different prayer groups that were including me, and to have friends who were giving me moral support. It meant more than I ever would have expected when my co-workers brought me care packages. So it might help if you are able to talk a little with some of your friends, co-workers, people at church if you are a church-goer, or friends in any other circles in your life (quilting group, mall walkers, or whatever) and let them know what is going on. This will at least give them a chance to show you support and any support can help lessen the fears.

Now some simpler things you can do. First, you can expect to be relatively stupid for the first week or two after you get home. By this I mean you get tired very easily, and anything that takes mental energy will be hard to do. So if you have anything you can take care of in advance, do it. I made sure our income taxes were done before going into the hospital, and that helped a lot. I would never have managed afterward!

Plan for the hospital. Plan a simple suitcase with toiletries, comfy loose sweats to wear home, maybe some cheerful baggy pj's to wear in the hospital, etc. I had a small tote bag with me too, that I could leave beside the bed with my hair brush, tooth brush, etc., so I could just reach down for it rather than rummage through my suitcase.

If you take any regular medications, make sure you have a list with you. Ask about every medication they give you, what it is, what it is for, and what dosage. I take medicine for my thyroid, and the first morning I was brought the wrong dosage. It was close enough, although a little less than my usual dose, so I knew I would be okay taking it. The second morning they didn't bring it at all. When my doctor showed up, I asked permission to take from my own prescription, which my husband had with him.

Make sure you husband knows what medications you are taking, what they are for, and of any allergies you have to medications, latex, food, etc., so he can help watch out for you.

In the hospital post-surgery, don't be afraid to call the nurse for things you want or need. If you are running low on ice water, or want juice or crackers to munch on, call and very politely ask for what you need. Keep an eye on the clock and when it is time for your pain meds, if the nurse doesn't come around, call and ask her when she'll be bringing them, don't wait until you are in pain and in tears. I went out of my way to be courteous to the nurses, and they were all very nice to me. After I got disconnected from the IV and catheter, if I wanted something, I walked down to the nurses station to ask for juice, ice water, or whatever, and they were always happy to see me up and walking.

As for the fears about surgery itself, I don't know what to say. I was terrified. I'm not young, and I am overweight and not what I would consider a good surgical candidate. But I knew it had to be done, so I tried to relax and let the medical staff take care of me. I wasn't aware of just when I actually went under, and I don't remember anything about the recovery room. I remember waking up in my room, with my husband there, and being very groggy. I was definitely happy to wake up alive! Fortunately with modern medicine, there are many tools and skills to keep us alive if something goes quirky during surgery. Knowing this doesn't necessarily help with the fears, any more than hearing safety statistics will erase fears of flying. But at least part of your mind can know that the outcome is almost certainly going to be good.

I hope all goes well for you. Lots of hugs!
Thank you TSPiper! I understand about the prayer circles and family and I'm starting to come around to thinking I might tell a few more people. I don't like attention. Thanks for the meds advice. You have many great suggestions and hints. I am adding them to the ever growing list. Your tote idea is genious! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredneedhelp View Post
Iwrbotb, I cannot explain to you the sigh of relief that I got after I read your post. I as well am freaking out. I have to have the abdominal cut it's not so much that I am worried about that I have had two c-sections so I know the incision is the same. But I am also sure the pain does not compare seeing as they are removing organs not a baby. I think you reading through the post will help ease your mind a bit it has definitely helped me alot. I also have a lot of people around me telling me I am going to be fine not to worry nothing is going to happen quit stressing about it. I also feel the same way as you basically wanting to say switch rolls with me and then tell me how you feel. Nobody understands exactly how you feel except for people that have experienced it. I know you are nervous but I am sure that once it is over you will be like man why did I stress so much. Im sure I will also be saying the same thing lol.I know it is scary but honey just realize you are NOT alone in this. I am also terrified when hearing the words can cause death but you gotta think that can happen with any surgery. There are always risks and there is always risk walking out your front door and getting in a car you just never know.. Technology has come a long way and im sure you will do just fine.. Sorry i'm rambling... But I wish you the best of luck sweety..When you feel well enough make sure you get on and let us know how everything went.. I know I will be finally happy when mine is over the short term pain I deal with afterwards will be nothing compared to what I have to deal with everyday and thats what im looking forward to...
Thanks! I'm glad my post helped. It took a lot for me to put myself out there but I'm so glad I did. The response has been overwhelming and it helps so much to know that we all are scared and this is normal. Best of luck with yours too! I do plan to report back. I hope that I can help someone the way everyone has helped me!
Unread 05-02-2012, 12:42 PM

Take it from an old pro...it will be over before you know it. My LAVH was my 4th surgery this year and while I wouldn't volunteer for one...I am glad I did it. I highly suggest you get some Ativan and even some Ambien to get some sleep. Once you get checked in you be given a lovely medicine that makes just about anything "doable". I don't remember much except waking up being taken to a room and going back to sleep. I wasn't happy about the catheter but changed my tune once I blew the thing up like the GoodYear blimp...no way I would have wanted to get up that many times so soon. Loved the things they put on my legs. I do remember looking at my son and saying.."Wow, sure glad that's over with."! Went home and climbed into bed. Two things I wouldn't have been without...chapstick and hard candy. You may have a sore throat and hospitals are like the Mojave! Hold on...you are so close to this being a distant memory!! Hope I didn't over step...I ramble!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleStar31 View Post
Take it from an old pro...it will be over before you know it. My LAVH was my 4th surgery this year and while I wouldn't volunteer for one...I am glad I did it. I highly suggest you get some Ativan and even some Ambien to get some sleep. Once you get checked in you be given a lovely medicine that makes just about anything "doable". I don't remember much except waking up being taken to a room and going back to sleep. I wasn't happy about the catheter but changed my tune once I blew the thing up like the GoodYear blimp...no way I would have wanted to get up that many times so soon. Loved the things they put on my legs. I do remember looking at my son and saying.."Wow, sure glad that's over with."! Went home and climbed into bed. Two things I wouldn't have been without...chapstick and hard candy. You may have a sore throat and hospitals are like the Mojave! Hold on...you are so close to this being a distant memory!! Hope I didn't over step...I ramble!!
Thanks Littlestar31! I will add the hard candy or cough drops to my list. I do have my chapstick. I appreciate every tip I can get. I think I may appreciate the catheter more now. I had a horrible migraine yesterday and prior to getting it I drank about 80oz. of water so I would have paid to have one yesterday! I'll just add that to the list of many dumb things I've done lately. I'm very grateful to hear each person's experience. I'm starting to notice a pattern with a lot of things people describe. I like consistency and knowing what to expect. It really does help!
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:41 PM

I very much appreciate the lists of handy things. I have them all written down and packing as we speak. My surgery is tomorrow. I am having an old fashioned vertical open abdominal. I know there is a longer stay and a little difference especially on getting up and things you need so I have taken note.
Good luck to all those fixing to go to the Castle and thank you again to all our seasoned Princesses who calm our nerves!
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar68 View Post
I very much appreciate the lists of handy things. I have them all written down and packing as we speak. My surgery is tomorrow. I am having an old fashioned vertical open abdominal. I know there is a longer stay and a little difference especially on getting up and things you need so I have taken note.
Good luck to all those fixing to go to the Castle and thank you again to all our seasoned Princesses who calm our nerves!
Best wishes to you! I will be thinking of you. Please report back when you can.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register