Upcoming hysterectomy 5/24 - im scared of being stared at naked on the table - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 5/24 - im scared of being stared at naked on the table Upcoming hysterectomy 5/24 - im scared of being stared at naked on the table

Unread 04-17-2016, 04:35 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 5/24 - im scared of being stared at naked on the table

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytigger12 View Post
Thank you for your support i already see to therapists and on medication but i just can't seem to have a doctor i never met seeing me maybe ill feel better if they put me to sleep earlier the waiting is killing me im bleeding from both ends and two weeks early i wish it was over my doctor is a female but she told me that she needs another doctor with her when she does the surgery do they exam u before they bring u in do they do a pelvic on the operating table
See if you can request to have your surgery first thing in the morning. Mine was around 7 am. When I arrived, I had complete privacy to get into the gown. I was totally draped and covered when I got my IV with anxiety Meds. There was no additional exam of any kind. My husband was with me until I was wheeled into surgery. The nurses talked to me and I remember waking up in my room after the surgery. Your own doctor will be present and will make sure you are ok and treated with respect.
I had my anxiety Meds and anti-depressants tweaked a bit before surgery. I was given
Permission to take a Xanax at midnight the night before.

You can do this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2016, 06:38 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 5/24 - im scared of being stared at naked on the table

I can relate to what you're going through. Although I was never raped or molested, I was constantly teased in high school, because I was developing faster than my classmates, and I still harbour some body image issues from that. As well, I have Asperger's Syndrome, which makes me hypersensitive to people entering my personal space, and touching my body. In fact, I nearly cancelled my surgery, because I was uncomfortable with my surgeon's initial exam, and I had this overwhelming feeling that I didn't want him touching my female parts ever again. My family doctor talked me out of that, prescribed an anti-anxiety medication, and contacted his office, to arrange for a female resident to assist with my surgery. I also kept reminding myself that these people were professionals, completely dedicated to my well-being, and they'd treat my body with the utmost respect and dignity. What also helped with my anxiety included elimination of stimulants like caffeine and refined sugar, getting regular exercise, and taking time to focus on my breathing. Whenever you start to feel anxious, try this breathing technique, recommended by a well-known natural health doctor: inhale through your nose for a count of 4, hold for a count of 7, exhale through your nose for a count of 8. This shuts down the fight or flight response, which should quickly calm you down. And don't hold your feelings inside; discuss them with your surgical team, your family and your Hystersisters, who will always be there to help you, and support you. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!
☺☺
Unread 04-18-2016, 09:33 AM
Re: Upcoming surgery October 2013 - I am panicking about being so exposed

Im wondering what happens once you do go in the operating room to they put u asleep before prep u does the gown completely come off and how many people see you naked also do they do a pelvic before the surgery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 5/24 - im scared of being stared at naked on the table

I highly suggest you make an appt with your surgeon or possibly a nurse that works with your surgeon that can give you a step-by-step description of what will happen. Those of us who have had our surgery can only tell you what happened to us and sometimes things vary based on the surgeon's preferences. Good luck!
Unread 04-19-2016, 09:53 AM
Re: Surgery

I'm not quite sure what kind of surgery you are considering, but I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy.

While in the hospital on surgery day, prior to being brought into the operating room, there was no pelvic exam. I changed into the hospital gown and had no other clothing under it. I gave a urine sample, they inserted my IV, talked to the anesthesiologist, then to doctor prior to surgery. The nurse anesthetist then injected something into my IV to help me relax prior to being wheeled into the operating room. Once wheeled into the operating room, the last thing I remember is moving and positioning myself on the operating table. My next memory is waking up in recovery. I am making assumptions that I was probably naked the duration of the surgery with a sheet of some kind covering my torso, but really no clue. I just looked at it from the viewpoint that the surgical staff see people all the time in the OR. My gown probably went back on prior to leaving the OR and going to recovery. If you are really curious, you could ask your doc at your next appointment. I hope this helps.
Unread 04-19-2016, 07:54 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 5/24 - im scared of being stared at naked on the table

I have had 4 operations prior to hysterectomy and have never had a pre-med. I always got onto the operating table and then put to sleep. This time because my surgeon knew I was a bit scared about it I was put to sleep in the anaesthetic bay with an injection straight into my hand. The last thing I remember was seeing the anaesthetist smile at me and then I woke up in recovery with my gown on and layers of warm blankets.
I chose to have a bog-standard abdominal as I did not want any instruments inserted into my vagina. I can honestly say I am extremely happy with my decision.
Unread 04-19-2016, 10:54 PM

I wasn't thrilled about the fact of being exposed either. But in my case (and I'm sure for the majority others here) I was not even awake. They prepped me with a sedative via my starter IV. Once I walked to the operating room and laid down on the operating table it was lights out for me. I had no memory of anything after that until I was being transferred to the hospital room bed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register