Newbie with fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie with fibroids Newbie with fibroids

Unread 12-08-2016, 06:40 AM
Newbie with fibroids

Hi I'm a newbie on here!

Long story short, I've been diagnosed with a 8x7cm fibroid outside my uterus at the back. I've been experiencing frequent urination which has been disturbing my sleep at night too and I found a swelling low down on my pelvis so went to the doctor.

They originally referred me to oncology due to all the symptoms plus I have non visible blood in my urine, which I had 18mths ago and I had a cystoscopy which was all clear.

After an ab scan they've now found this fibroid and referred me to the gynae consultant. He was somewhat dismissive about my frequent urination, abdominal pressure and pain due to the location of the fibroid being at the back and not front of my uterus. He also didn't want to examine me as he said he had all the info he needs from the scan. I am only petite so in my opinion a fibroid the size of a lemon must be putting pressure on my insides surely?

He's referred me back to oncology to have a cystoscopy to check all aspects from their side as fibroids won't cause blood in my urine, which I agree with.

Meanwhile, he's suggested I try Esmay drugs to help shrink it then go back to see him in 4mths. Treatment options after are Uterine Artery Embolisation or a hysterectomy!

I'm thinking of trying some acupuncture and Chinese medicine first so I wondered if anybody has had any experience with these?

I'm 41yrs old with PCOS. I have a 6yr old son after IVF. I've also had a burst ovarian cyst in the past.

Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Newbie with fibroids

I did acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicines however with no luck. It may have helped but when I stopped the potion my fibroid increased in size. I think it's great he suggests embolization (UFE) as it's the least invasive and leaves your natural hormone system in place. This is the direction I suggest based on my own experience.
Unread 12-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Newbie with fibroids

Thank you.
Yes I have my doubts about the acu being able to deal with it.
Did you have UFE? How large was your fibroid? Did you have drugs first?
I read a few posts about UFE being really painful post procedure and for many weeks and months thereafter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2016, 03:12 PM
Newbie with fibroids

It was not painful for me as IR took an aggressive approach to pain management. He said this is really important. I had Dilaudid vs. Morphine and did not have the vomiting reported by some either.

I had UFE 4 years ago for a 9cm intramural fibroid. It has shrunk almost 90%. I think my uterus is still enlarged though. Long time UFE veterans cite continuous shrinking over the years with intramural and subserosal. Even fibroids on a stalk will shrink slowly over time.

It's the fibroids in the uterus --submucosal--that can cause heavy (and I mean heavy) periods for up to 6 months.

I tried every holistic way to reverse my fibroid's takeover of my body and nothing made a difference. I needed medical intervention. I researched a lot and decided on Embolization. Nothing's perfect but in general fibroid is getting smaller and my health is getting better. Hormone system seems good.

I highly recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVA1 View Post
Thank you.
Yes I have my doubts about the acu being able to deal with it.
Did you have UFE? How large was your fibroid? Did you have drugs first?
I read a few posts about UFE being really painful post procedure and for many weeks and months thereafter.
Unread 12-08-2016, 03:21 PM
Newbie with fibroids

No drugs but had it been offered I might have tried it. That is a serious drug.
Unread 12-09-2016, 12:59 AM
Re: Newbie with fibroids

I have also been recently diagnosed with fibroids and have the same problem where I am up and down all night peeing. My general doctor suggested stopping all liquids/drinks after 7 PM (before we found out about the fibroids) and it has helped a lot!
Unread 12-09-2016, 11:00 AM
Re: Newbie with fibroids

I agree with sisterduke... and I also tried every natural / holistic method to try and get rid of the fibroids. Nothing works but medical intervention in some way. It was important to me to not have a hysterectomy so over the years I've had UAE and myomectomy, and another UAE.

My last UAE in 2015, my 3 fibroids measured via MRI as 8.3cm x 6.6cm / 7cm x 6.9cm / 3.2cm x 2.5cm. Not fun.

At my 6 month follow up, they had measurably shrank. At 12 months, they were about half size. I was fitted for a diaphragm in September (about 18 months after) and my gyn's comments were that my uterus was nicely "mobile" meaning that the fibroids are not big enough to be concerned. Also, my periods are nice and light and short.... no more anemia.

It's definitely worth looking into UAE if you are trying to avoid a hysterectomy. It's an easy procedure and for me, there was only pain/nausea while I was actually in the hospital overnight. I never took any pain meds at home. For me, the constipation from the in-hospital pain meds was the worst thing about it.

In any case, getting second opinions is always a good idea! You are the only one who can decide what is best for you! Good luck!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register