elevated liver enzymes - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

elevated liver enzymes elevated liver enzymes

Unread 03-11-2004, 06:18 AM
elevated liver enzymes

Since I chimed in on that thread that Sheri provided, I've also found out that taking magnesium, vitamin E, and going for a lower carb/higher protein diet can also improve liver enzymes.

I had elevated enzymes for years and this year, they dropped to normal. I've been on the South Beach Diet (sort of ) which is a lower carb/higher protein diet than I've ever been on.

So, there are some fairly easy ways to address the problem as it turns out--once you eliminate the possibility of gallstones and gall sand (I knew that wasn't my problem because of the CT scans)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2004, 09:19 AM
elevated liver enzymes

One of the first signs of hepatitis C can also be elevated liver enzymes . That's how my brother found out. Have they tested for the different hepatitis types? Another cause can be mono or Epstein-Barr infection; CMV (cytomegalovirus) can also elevate liver enzymes. All of these are viruses; I had extremely high liver enzymes and jaundice, and it turned out to be viral, resolving completely -- with time!

Hope it turns out to be nothing -- but the gall bladder is suspicious in those of us who have had hysts...

Audrey
Unread 03-11-2004, 03:36 PM
elevated liver enzymes

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your reply's. My enzymes have been elevating for 5 months now. The doctor did an ultrasound and it showed that I had a "fatty liver" . Dont understand that. Im not overweight but i guess from what they tell me it has nothing to do with body weight. The liver isnt burning off the fats like it should be. So I am going to exercise more and watch my fat intake and hopefully they will go down to normal. If they keep climbing the next step is a biopsy. Its not fair, I have never had to watch my diet, I dont really eat alot of fats, dont take medications at all, very rarely have alcohol, all though sounds good right now!!!!!! Just not fair. This has been all since my hysterectomy, they were checking for anemial because I was so anemic and this shows up. Thanks for listening. Take care all and thank you again. Love the site!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 11:20 AM
Elevated liver enzymes

Thanks for all the replies. I too, have gotten a report back after blood work that my liver enzymes are elevated. It does concern me and my doctor said she will repeat the test in Aug 04. I had my hysterectomy in February 2002. I took estrogen from Feb 02 through Aug 03. I have a very strong breast cancer family history so my family doctor encouraged me to try going off of the estrogen. I have done very well with few hot flashes, no night sweats (knock on wood) and no mood swings. I have experience a lot of pain in my hips & arms. I have had bone density tests, x-rays and blood work and nothing shows up there.

So it's good to hear that other "sisters" have experienced elevated liver enzymes.

I will post more after my next blood work report.
Unread 06-16-2004, 05:00 PM
elevated liver enzymes

Deb,
My doc just did what she calls a well woman test on me and my liver enzymes were elevated. She thinks it's from being on the duragesic patch and pain meds. They weren't elevated enough for her to be overly concerned just yet, but she has started me on some supplements, silymarin (milk thistle) and folate. We will retest in a few months.

Unread 06-17-2004, 05:09 PM
elevated liver enzymes

Deb,

i know elevated liver enzymes can be caused by several things,as the other sisters have stated. let me share my story with you.
over a year ago i was taking Bextra for pain. i had been on it for a couple of months. i had asked my doc for a new RX. at which time the mentioned that Bextra could effect you liver. he gave me the new RX, but he also ordered some tests on my liver. he checked my enzyme level, it was a little above normal. he was sure it was caused by the Bextra, so he took me off of it for a couple of weeks. the liver enzyme tests were repeated. my levels were still high. next i went through more tests, including ultrasounds of my liver and kidneys. he also ordered tests for Hepatitis. i tested positive for Hepatitis C. it seems i had contracted it many, many years ago from a blood tranfusion. i had my tranfusion before blood was routinely tested for things like hepatitis and HIV.

i was devastated by the diagnosis. but i must say i a made it through it. with the help of a great doctor and the support of my family and friends. i survived. my last test, after treatment was in Feburary of this year. there were no signs of the Hep C.

like i stated earlier, your elevated liver enzymes could be caused by many things, but Hepatitis C is always a possibility. i hope i haven't upset you, i just wanted to share my experience with you.

i hope things work out for you,
hugs, jene

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register