Getting ready to take care of babies | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting ready to take care of babies Getting ready to take care of babies

Unread 08-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Getting ready to take care of babies

Anyone have a hyst shortly after delivering? I had my last baby the end of May and am having surgery 10/3. What can I do now to prep my 3 yo and my 3 mo as well as myself/DH for this surgery.

Can I expect to be able to take care of at least the baby after the surgery?

-------
from my intro thread:

Hi all - I'm 35 yo and gave birth to my 2nd child back in May. I had major uterine prolapse after my 1st child, and had a uterine suspension after in order to try for our 2nd. That was successful, but 7 weeks post pardum I showed severe prolapse again, as well as major bladder issues. I knew I was looking at having the hyst, so I feel relatively at peace with that. But I have questions about other things to expect and I figure I'll probably have even more questions afterwards.

so, here I am My hyst is supposed to be a partial on 10/3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Re: Getting ready to take care of babies

Hi, I had a vaginal hysterectomy and my doctor told me absolutely no lifting for 8 weeks and then after that still no lifting children for a while. Your 4 month old is too heavy to be lifting, if you do decide too well you are risking tearing the hundreds of stitches you have inside, even if you feel fine the stitches need a lot of time to heal. This is Major Surgery, I too had uterine prolapse which means the doctor not only has to remove the uterus but he will be doing repair work as well. Unless you want to risk having another surgery get someone to help you lift your infant for at least 4 weeks, I am 16 days post op and lifted a full 2L milk this morning and I felt big time pulling and strain after, so imagine an infant who ways so much more.
Unread 08-25-2011, 04:20 PM

oops typo, weighs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2011, 08:31 PM

You will need to find help for the kids for the first few weeks. I can't even lift our 8lb dog without feeling it from a seated position so I haven't tried that again. Today I tried using an apple corer/slicer (sp?) got 1/4 of the way thru the small apple and had to have my husband finish it for me, something that wouldn't even have been a thought 2 weeks ago. It's amazing the small things that your abdominal area supports in your every day life. I'm getting frustrated at this point but I'm not even 2 weeks out yet. It's going to take time, patience and rest, three things an infant and toddler can't offer. Your DH is going to have to step up big time, I have an 11yo and a 5yo and my husband is surprised at the work it takes, and mine are a lot older than yours. Kids are work no matter the age, but the little ones are going to have to be the DH's responsibility for awhile.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register