why don't I sleep all night? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

why don't I sleep all night? why don't I sleep all night?

Unread 04-12-2013, 07:55 AM
why don't I sleep all night?

I don't know why but I have not had a full night's sleep for months.

I am menopausal and occasionally I have a bad few hours of flushes and overheating but that is not every night thank goodness.
Most other nights I go to bed, sleep and at 3.30 am or so I wake and don't get back until after 5, sometimes much later. I used to find it very scary as my mind would go into overdrive and I would start worrying about everything, but now I have started different ways of staying relaxed during this waking period.

I think it would be such a treat to get a full night's sleep and wake in the morning feeling refreshed. I wonder is it related to hormone imbalance. I am obviously anxious about my upcoming surgery but not in the way I had been, At this stage I am looking forward to the other side and recovery so I don't think it is that either.

I have done all the usual things, reducing tea before bedtime, nothing too stimulating before bed, gentle reading, soft music. I have made myself extra tired, I have got up early, gone to bed late and alternately early to see if anything would work but it seems to be the same regardless of what I do.
Has this happened to anyone else and will it get better after surgery? ZZzzz...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Re: why don't I sleep all night?

Isn't that a mess to deal with?

I had the same sort of issues. I really think we have a lot of stress we don't really deal with. I found out my problems were serious way back in July and didn't have the visit to the castle until November so my sleep issues were a pain.

But now that I am past all of it I have to tell you that I go to bed, fall asleep pretty quickly and sleep all night unless some outside thing wakes me...so give it a bit of time...

The only thing I can suggest is if you feel like having a nap, do it, get your sleep where you can... and if you do wake in the night, don't worry about it, just figure you are laying in bed in a comfortable spot and you are at least resting.

Sorry you are dealing with this, but I bet when all this is done you will be back to sleeping like before all the worry started.
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:30 AM

I'm dealing with this same thing. I am 8 weeks postop. I'm forty and the last couple of years I have had this issue. I hate it! My doctor reccomended that I take melatonin. I took it last night and still woke up at 3 but was very tired but it still took an hour and a half to go back to sleep. I've read that as we age we don't produce as much melatonin. My b12 is a little low and I'm on supplements. Supposedly a vitamin b deficiency also decreases melatonin production. It seems to be very common. I was whining on facebook the other day and many of my friends are going through the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2013, 07:28 PM

I had the same issue after being rudely dumped into surgical menopause after my TAH BSO. Since I was so MISERABLE with all of my other menopause symptoms, my GP put me on HRT. That really helped me quite a bit.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register