Date for TVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Date for TVH

I've finally had the appt. with the surgeon yesterday and he has recommended the TVH surgery for multiple fibroids and enlarged uterous, (12 week). I will be having the surgery next Wednesday. Hardly enough time for me to even freak out in! While I was hoping for the less invasive LSH, he said he doesn't like to do that type because they are a lengthier surgery and the person has to be under anesthesia longer. Has anyone heard of that reasoning? I also got the impression I'd only be in the hospital overnight. Does that sound right? My hubby is quite excited by the fact that I'll be needing 6 to 8 weeks of recovery and thinks that by week 2 I'll be ready for a road trip for a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions of how to make that more bearable?
Thanks in advance
Betty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Date for TVH

if you are happy with your drs decision for the tvh for you, i am happy for you and wish you the best of luck ( i love your husbands idea). i do want to say that to me, that is not a reason to make someone have a more invasive surgery with a longer recovery time. also, your cervix will be removed with the tvh and kept with the lsh. is he qualified to do an lsh? it requires special training. if i was told that, i personally would get a second opinion by a dr that i was sure was qualified to do an lsh. there would have to be a medical reason why i couldnt have it. i had one and my recovery was very quick and easy. i could have actually gone on that road trip in a week. i really suggest a second opinion.
good luck with whatever you decide
Unread 11-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Betty

i had a TVH for almost the same reasons on July 13th. At 2 weeks i was feeling great. Almost too great and would push myself. Ended up with an infection and it set me back a bit. I am a RN working in the oB field, I told my Dr. I was the most impatient patient. I expected I would feel better immediately. Although i feel great now and don't feel many reminders of the surgery, Iwant to tell you to lay low. listen to your body and all the things that you wish were getting done can wait. Even tho it is a less invasive surgery than some it is still considered major abdominal surgery.
You will be just fine. I am sooo happy I had it done. The worst part for me was laying low. Walk and rest. Walking is an excellent way of gaining strength, muscles and it helps you to go to the bathroom!
BTW...use a stool softener after surgery whether you think you need it or not!

Good Luck!
Simplyme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Date for TVH

forgot to tell you that yes, it generally is only a night stay in the hospital unless there is some other reason to stay longer. i was happy to go home the next day.
Although I did like the pampering, of course you will sleep the first day anyway.

Simplyme
Unread 11-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Date for TVH

Thanks for your reply dressedupinblue and simplyme can I ask why you had the TVH instead of the LSH ? Was it due to the size of the uterus/ fibroids? I seem to be getting differing opinions on this topic. When I inquired about the LSH surgery he just said why they chose not to perform them. I didn't think to ask if he was qualified. Also was it something you did that caused your post op infection? I am pretty sure I will also be a pretty impatient patient and am trying to learn from others experiences as much as possible.
Thanks again for taking the time to share.
B
Unread 11-14-2007, 06:53 AM
Date for TVH

For me and my situation my doctor said if when he went in vaginally and found he would have to take the ovaries, I would not know until I woke up and could have an abdominal incision. In the area I am in, the predominant choices are to have it done vaginal over abdominal incision.
As far as the infection goes...it was just my luck. Any time a person has an invasive procedure done we are suject to infection. When they do the operation they flush out the area that they are working on. They also give you large doses of antibiotics to prevent some infections. In many cases it also kills all the good along with the bad bacteria. He thinks that is what happened in my case. I had a vaginal cuff infection. Once on an antibiotic for a day or so, I was feeling much better. It takes a long time for everything to get back to normal. I am a very active person and it was hard for me to sit still. I am so happy I had the procedure done and am at the gym every day and back to running my hectic lifestyle

You will be just fine

Simplyme
Unread 11-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Date for TVH

I am 9 days out from a TVH and having a hard time with pain, soreness, and weakness. It is difficult to say whether a road trip at 2 weeks would be out of the question for you because everyone is different. I've read some postop posts from women who had TAHs during the same week as I did that are doing better than I am -- out grocery shopping and hitting the malls. It just seems that some heal easier than others. If you generally bounce back pretty quickly, then I would say you might be ready to hit the road at 2 weeks.

I would be sure and ask your doctor how long his/her TVH patients usually have to stay in the hospital. I spent 2 nights in the hospital with my TVH even without significant complications, but I knew I would because my doctor had already told me that he rarely released a patient the next day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register