Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 - Page 48 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Unread 04-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

BAck to work today...hope I can keep it together. Kids are noisy ..they're going to be making animated films and they're watching the films that last year's kids made. Lots of talking for the sake of talking. amazing. It was so quiet at home...now I have to re-adjust to this! yikes!
Also have another dr's appt at 4..the derm..i have serious psoriasis...hope I stay awake for that appt! I made the appt 6 months ago at my last derm check so I figured I'd better not cancel it. I take an oral drug..Soriatane which is an earlier form of Accutane but never marketed as that. It causes birth defects and I c an't even give blood for fear that a pregnant woman would get my blood.
I think I'll whine ...I wanna go home!!! Joan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2008, 08:26 AM

I think I hit the 4 week wall. I'll be 5 weeks post on Thursday. I know I have not over done it. In fact I've done less this past week than the previous weeks. I just feel tired. I didn't sleep too well last night, so that may be some of it. It's more of a mental/emotional thing than physical. (I kept my ovaries and they are working just fine and on schedule, so it's not that). Although, I am a little achy and have some swelly belly this morning. I don't know, I think maybe I am just tired of being in a recovery mode. I am not the most patient person, and of course, I AM superwoman!! hehe. I have a teenage son who can be very challenging and hubby is getting ready to do some travelling--which means I'll have to carry the ball. All you single mom hystersisters are my heroes!!!! Don't know how you do it.

I should be happy--my recovery has been a breeze; my live in adult daughter did some housework; my mom is back in town to help if I need it; the Lord has promised never to leave me nor forsake me. I'll have to go back to Philippians 4---"whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you." Yep, that'll do it.

Y'all have a great day!
Unread 04-07-2008, 10:04 AM

Hello Ladies ~ I had a TAH, kept ovaries, on 3-6. I had my one and only post-op appointment with my dr. on Friday. He was very impressed with my recovery. I had a bikini incision and it has healed beautifully. I never had staples and the stitches dissolved. I had an internal exam. He said the internal incision looked as good as the external one. I have no restrictions at this time, but he did say to listen to my body and to take it slow and easy. I teach full-day kindergarten and go back on the 21st of this month. That's just 2 weeks away and I am scared to death. My only complaint at this time is evening swelly belly and tenderness and yes, tiredness. I still can't believe how tired I get. I went to my son's hockey game on Sat. and came home and napped. I am not normally a napper. My first day back at school we have a staff meeting after school. I think I might need to skip it. At least, I only have 6 weeks of school until summer break. I think I can handle 6 weeks. My students miss me dearly as I miss them also. It will be good to see them. Have a great day and thanks for the encouraging posts as well as the not so encouraging. I feel like I turned a corner with healing just these past few day. The 3 and 1/2 week mark was difficult for me. It does get better ladies. We all heal at our own rate. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2008, 11:30 AM

Oh my, I just wrote a big long post and then lost it. Darn. I love to write, but hate, hate, hate to re-write.

Oh well, it's Monday and the house is all mine. I've a long to-do list, but I think I'll chat with my sisters first. It's funny how even phone calls and such are hard to tackle when your energy is lagging.

I had my only post op appointment last week. The doc didn't check me. Is that normal?! I'm not complaining, but it seems awfully bold to clear me for everything without checking the healing progress first.

I don't think I'd recommend my doc to others. He came in the morning after my surgery and told me NO restrictions. I know I was on drugs, but he really did say that. Luckily, I have this site and many voices of reason here that I chose to heed. He said to just listen to my body. I'd sure hate to lift my grandbaby and THEN have my body say, "Smart move honey, now you've popped stitches!"

I managed 45 minutes on the elliptical this morning before I started to hurt. I'm just glad I can work out at home. I'd hate to be two miles down the road and then have that kind of pain kick in!

I too kept my ovaries and am just now (at nearly 5 weeks) starting to feel overly emotional. I don't know if it's my self-destructing teenager causing it or my emotions/hormones making the self destruction feel like too much to bear.

Well, dozens of birds are singing outside of my window and glorious sunshine has come out from behind the clouds to illuminate the snow covered Wasatch Mountains as well as my desk and chair and me! This too shall pass.

Since I've got the all-clear, I think I'll go take a hot bath! Oh, how I've missed those!!!

(Happy wife of a retired military man... Blessings to all of you active duty wives- the great unsung American heroes!)
Unread 04-07-2008, 11:58 AM

So, I think this must be the normal progression - seems like a lot of us are feeling tired and overwhelmed/emotional lately, maybe because some of us are back at work, which, for me, is definitely a shock - the change in schedule alone is enough to get me a little worked up, let alone just being nervous about making sure I can handle the load - physically and emotionally. Equinox, I know what you mean about things being extra loud when you've gotten used to peace and quiet... whew! Anyway, I'm so grateful to have a patient boss and helpful co-workers. I think I might be more impatient with myself than they are. Hang in there, sisters. Thanks for the posts.
(Military for 11 years - now my son is active duty Army. NoMoPro-you're right!)

by the way, if any of you have any interest in natural healing or alternative therapies, a book that has helped me a lot through this is called "New menopausal years" by Susun Weed. It's a little "out there" at times, (my daughter would definitely remind me that I am a complete hippie by reading this.) but she's got some interesting & helpful information on herbal remedies, etc. for hot flashes, mood swings, natural hormone therapy, etc.
Unread 04-07-2008, 12:01 PM
5 weeks down, 5 to go

Hi There- I am just on this site for the first time and I don't know the abbreviations. I had a radical hysterectomy March 3, and they also scraped off some endometriosis from my rectum. I had stage I endometriod cancer. (I'm 51 and not near menopause until going into surgical menopause because of the surgery-hot flashes abound- no rhyme or reason). The endometrial mass was a bonus. I have been told to "micromanage my bowels"-now there is a new hobby- so that I don't develop fistulas from my rectum to my vagina. I got the pathology report 2 weeks after surgery when I asked for it- a nurse really wanted me to get it for some reason. It is quite the blow by blow recap.

Any one else out there been given a 11 week post op appointment? maybe it has to do with the endometriosis on the rectum?

I find myself going a bit crazy without my usual social outlet and exercise, tennis. I am doing light housework, parenting a 15 year old (two others in college), and putting off what work I can (I work from home with some trips out required). I feel a bit depressed which seems to go along with when I can't get good sleep at night because of hot flashes. I had a nice reprieve from hot flashes last week, but they are back. No idea why. Can't do HRT- had cancer. Husband is getting a little bit grumpy. May have something to do with that 11 week post op appointment?

I should probably just plain walk more and do less laundry.
Do you think swelly belly increases with doing "too much"?

Hang in there everyone.
Unread 04-07-2008, 12:42 PM

Welcome, Daffywacky! You asked about swelly belly. For me, definitely yes, the belly swells more in the evening when I do a bit too much, as well as an increase in soreness. On those days, I make certain to rest and get my feet up for the evening, plus go to bed a little earlier. That seems to help a lot.

Hope all of you who returned to work this week are doing well. Take care and let us all know how you're feeling. I go back next week after my 6-week exam, which is Tuesday. I'm expecting to be tired and a bit sore at the end of those days when I'm not home in the "office". Some days out in the field can be long, with hours of driving. At least the first week back won't have me behind the wheel of the vehicle for 5 or 6 hours a day. We'll see how it goes when I do have to drive that much. Has anyone been in a car that long yet?

Hope everyone is having a good week and enjoying spring-like weather where you live!
Unread 04-07-2008, 01:04 PM

Hi sisters,
I have made it thru to week 4 post op. For the most part I have had a good recovery. The hardest part is not being able to do much. I am having a hard time looking out at the yard with all the work that needs to be done and not being able to do it. My DH brought my Harley home from storage yesterday so I could at least look at it and clean on it as I am able.... that was the worst, cuz I wanted to ride.

The last 3 days I have been walking outside about 1 mile each day. I find that it is not hard and actually gives me more energy. It is also helping me sleep better at night, either that or it is a coinsidence.

I have my post op check next week and expect to be off to work the next week. I am like the rest of you want to go to work, yet am wondering how I am going to make it sitting for any length of time. I have gone to a couple of Saturday meetings in the past couple of weeks, and did fairly well, but boy was I tired when I got home.

I like some of the rest of us are having some BM problems still... I wonder when all that gets back to normal.

Well, spring has sprung and hopefully we will all be sprung from our couches, beds and or recliners shortly to enjoy the nice weather and our new bodies.

To all... rest and recooperate.
Unread 04-07-2008, 03:03 PM

(((ladies)))

Just a gentle reminder ~ if you have any questions about your recovery, please start a new thread so that all our post-op members can see it and have the opportunity to respond ~ particularly those who are further out in their recoveries and have more experience to share. This is the best way to get support ~ in the true tradition of HysterSisters!

Please note this thread is intended for progress reports only ~ check out Princess Bea Well's introductory post for further information on how to use the thread.

Sending all good wishes for your recoveries and thanks for your understanding!

Unread 04-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Worn out but happy

Okay, I've been back at work for 2 weeks and I'm doing pretty well. I still feel like taking a nap after I get home from school and my mom tells me that it goes with the job, not just the recovery. She's an ex-teacher, so I suspect she knows the drill pretty well. I seem to recall her napping after work when I was young.

My asst principal is still hobbling around after knee reconstruction 3 weeks prior to my surgery. I feel guilty that I'm doing so much better getting around than she is, but she gets paid more so it passes pretty quickly.

Other than that, my bowels still haven't settled back into their old routine. I'm hoping that will happen sooner rather than later, as we have state-mandated testing coming up in 2 weeks and standing in a silent room for hours with no relief could be a problem.

I did end up sleeping away most of the weekend, rather than grading the huge stack of papers I have, but my body was rather insistant that it needed the downtime. If sleep to heal is what it wants, who am I to argue? At least I can think happy thoughts about summer break being only 2 months away. Not that it'll be all lazing around, as I teach at the local nature center for their summer eco-camp for several weeks. Nothing like feeding the mosquitoes and feeling like I've sweated off 15lbs a day while getting paid to be a kid again (riding herd on even more of them).

Good luck to all you gals who are heading back to work soon. It'll wear you out but it feels so good to be back in the saddle and productive. It also does wonders for being able to sleep through the night.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register