"I went back to work in a week after..." | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"I went back to work in a week after..." "I went back to work in a week after..."

Unread 04-12-2006, 03:39 PM
"I went back to work in a week after..."

So, the doctor says I will probably be able to go back to work a week after my LSH. I believe him, and I've seen that many of you made it back in that time frame, but some did not. So, just to be cautious, I've told some coworkers that I plan to be back in a week, but just in case that doesn't work out... I'm prepared.

Well, (and I know this sounds crabby of me since she's just trying to comfort me) one of them keeps comparing my surgery to her gall bladder surgery since the proceedure (laparascopic removal) is the same. She says, "oh, you'll be just fine in a week." Is she right? Is the recovery time the same? It would seem to me that the gall bladder removal would be less complicated and therefore have less of a recovery time.

It's not like I want her to be wrong, I just don't want everyone to think I'm a big baby if I need a couple of days longer. So, anyone out there have her gall bladder out laparascopically and then have a LSH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2006, 04:34 PM

I haven't but anyone who know you or knows about hysterctomy will know you are not a baby..

I had people who had a c-section compare it to my abdominal hysterctomy.. Every surgery is different.. Every patient is different... You never know...

I'm sure you don't want her to be wrong but she'd never really know because she hasn't had a hysterectomy!!

Trust in yourself to take the time you feel is right for you!!
I'm sure you'll make the best descision! Remember, you only have one time to heal properly!!

Good Luck with it all!
carrie
Unread 04-12-2006, 08:54 PM

I've never had my gall bladder operated on, so I guess I can't really compare.

This is what I can tell you: I've had four abdominal surgeries in my adult life, and they have all been very different from each other. The two c-sections were very different, and the hysterectomy and the hematoma/seroma surgery were both very different.

I guess I don't really understand why people feel the need to compare surgeries, because each person's situation is so different. My hysterectomy, for example, was complicated because I had so much scar tissue from my earlier c-sections, and my bladder was adhered to my uterus. It took an additional hour to separate the two organs before they could do the surgery.

Even having an LSH, you'll have internal stitches. You won't be able to lift. You may have several weeks where you have pain, swelling and fatigue. You are you, and not your friend.

You haven't really asked for advice, but I guess when someone tells you how your surgery is going to go (which they really have no way of knowing, IMHO), I'd adivse you to answer by saying something like, "That's interesting... I wonder if that's really how it will go. I guess time will tell, huh?" It acknowledges the other person's opinions, without you having to get into an argument. Then you can change the discussion to something like the weather!

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Wouldn't you just like to scream .....

...when people tell you how you are going to feel/recover//react??? Yikes! As others have said, everyone is different. I had an LSH/BSO on 3-14. I didn't have much pain and it was much easier than I thought. I had no complications and my doctor would have released me to work at 4 weeks btu elected to wait 6 weeks when I reminded her that I have a very physically demanding job(nurse). I guess it would depend on what type of job you have. I think the major issue after an LSH is no lifting and taking it easy and the fatigue. I am 4 weeks and 2 days and I feel great but I can't believe at how "pooped" I am at the end of the day. Ultimately...you have to take care of yourself and you are not whiny or a wimp or anything for doing that. I loved the way that mjd2491 recommended responding to the co-worker. Hope all goes well for you.
Unread 04-12-2006, 10:15 PM

Everyone is an individual and we all handle pain and recover differently. Every type of surgery is so very different. So I would just take it one day at a time and see how you feel after the first week and discuss your feelings with your DR. Then go from there. I hope that you meet your goal but don't rush it and take care of you. Because only you will know if you are physically able to return to work. Sending a great big hug your way!! Carrie
Unread 04-12-2006, 10:19 PM

Hey gals!

Well the company I work for will not let me come back until the dr releases me. My dr told me 6 weeks and if I can go back earlier we will discuss it at that time. They say they don't want me stressed out either. I sit at a desk but can have a demanding job. I have worked with some people who say they were back in a week some say 2 weeks and then others say 6 weeks and you will need every minute of it. I am a week and a day post op and right now I cannot not imagine going to work. I would not make it a day. I had a lavh also but still am not to drive until next week so how could I go to work. Like one of the other ladies said...you are so tired. I feel great for a little while and then I feel like I need to lay for an hour or so. I have been with the company for 13 years and have never taken off or anything except vacation and sometimes 1 day a year in sick days and some years not that. Take it...take care of yourself as long as you can handle it financially.
Unread 04-12-2006, 10:26 PM

I agree. I went back to work at 6weeks and I was so exhausted by the time I got home that I would fix my family a meal(sometimes it was a sandwich but hey ) and would be in bed by 7 pm. I had insomnia bad after my hyst but once I went back to work and was on a regular schedule again I had no problem sleeping. In fact at about 5 weeks I was just starting to feel better and sure could have used another 6 weeks to enjoy my new freedom. lol. Anyway, I hope everything goes well for you. Carrie (TAH)
Unread 04-12-2006, 10:38 PM

I had an LSH exactly a week ago today.
Saw my doc for the post-op and stitch removal yesterday, and he said I could go back to work IF I WANTED on Monday. When I told him I'm still tender (took myself off pain medication four days after the op because it was causing constipation and I didn't really need it), he looked at the calendar. We have a number of public holidays in South Africa during April, and he suggested I take the rest of April off, but can go back to work earlier if I want to.
But he won't release me for sex until at least week 3 (also end April), so I decided if I can't indulge in pleasure I definitely can't indulge in work
I do get tired easily, and have some pain at the end of each day, but have found it waaayyyy easier than I thought it would be.
Be warned though, the first three days are a drug-induced haze and you have no desire to have it otherwise...I slept three days solid.
God bless, and good luck with the gallbladder lady. [Just wondering: it might be worthwhile looking up the comparative sizes of a gallbladder and your uterus (which is likely to be much bigger) and then explain about the longer op, greater difficulty removing a bigger mass, greater "vacuum" left for your body to deal with? If she's vaguely intelligent, she'll get it. If not, just smile, say "thank you for your interest" and change the subject when she wants to compare]
Love
Ansie
Unread 04-13-2006, 05:31 AM

Thanks for the replies ladies. Logically, I know she just wanted to comfort me, but I'm such a crab lately, all I heard was the expectation that I hurry back to work. God I hope stop being such a psycho soon...
Unread 04-13-2006, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansie
Be warned though, the first three days are a drug-induced haze and you have no desire to have it otherwise...I slept three days solid.

Again...everyone is different. I did not have much pain. The strongest pain medication I took even while in the castle was Motrin 800mg. Refused the Vicodin that was offered. My surgery was on a Tuesday...by Tuesday night I was up and walking in the halls by myself and feeling pretty good. By Wednesday morning, I showered, washed my hair, dryed and styled it, put makeup on and was waiting for my doc to arrive and discharge me. The surgery was much, much easier than I expected. So everyone is different but you will so SO glad that you had it done.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register