Upcoming hysterectomy 1/31: Wed, 1/17 is my pre-op appt. Getting excited and nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 1/31: Wed, 1/17 is my pre-op appt. Getting excited and nervous Upcoming hysterectomy 1/31: Wed, 1/17 is my pre-op appt. Getting excited and nervous

Unread 01-14-2018, 07:32 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 1/31: Wed, 1/17 is my pre-op appt. Getting excited and nervous

Okay ladies...I am looking for some advice on what to talk to my doctor about on my pre-op appointment for my TAH. Ive read all the articles and things but what I am struggling with is I am very easily embarrassed and pretty modest of a girl. I don't want to sound like a whiner or someone who is going to be a difficult patient because Im not. I just don't want to be so....exposed you know... it's giving me a LOT of anxiety and I don't know how to bring it up to the doctor or what about the nurses at the hospital?...I don't want them asking personal questions in front of ANYONE who may be there visiting me. Some of those questions will be embarrassing enough to answer at all.
Im reading this as I write and I apologize if it annoys anyone and I know it seems silly I just wanted to get it out and hopefully some of you ladies either understand where Im coming from or have some good advice on maintaining my modesty through a very invasive surgery
Thanks ladies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2018, 09:44 PM
Re: Wed. is my pre-op appt. Getting excited and nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by crissy754 View Post
Okay ladies...I am looking for some advice on what to talk to my doctor about on my pre-op appointment for my TAH. Ive read all the articles and things but what I am struggling with is I am very easily embarrassed and pretty modest of a girl. I don't want to sound like a whiner or someone who is going to be a difficult patient because Im not. I just don't want to be so....exposed you know... it's giving me a LOT of anxiety and I don't know how to bring it up to the doctor or what about the nurses at the hospital?...I don't want them asking personal questions in front of ANYONE who may be there visiting me. Some of those questions will be embarrassing enough to answer at all.
Im reading this as I write and I apologize if it annoys anyone and I know it seems silly I just wanted to get it out and hopefully some of you ladies either understand where Im coming from or have some good advice on maintaining my modesty through a very invasive surgery
Thanks ladies
Ok, I don't know exactly what happened during my surgery, but in mind, I was wearing that same gown I got wheeled into the OR in, and they just opened a square to they could see my belly and do their work, but the rest was covered. Since nobody has told me different, I'm sticking to that. Plus, I think they do keep parts of you covered during surgery.

I find the pelvic exams before I scheduled surgery, and for my upcoming post op appointment, to be more embarrassing.

I'm sure you've heard this before, and it's true: They've seen it all and they really do not care. They are focused on getting an intense job done and that's it. I know that doesn't help on your end, but try to keep it in your mind.

It's worth it - get healthy. The surgeon and the rest of your medical team really are there to take care of you, definitely not to make you feel too exposed. Maybe you should just mention that to your doctor. He or she will more than likely ease your mind.
Unread 01-15-2018, 06:16 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 1/31: Wed, 1/17 is my pre-op appt. Getting excited and nervous

I hear you sister! I still harbour a few insecurities from my high school days, when I was constantly teased for developing faster than my classmates, so when I was told that I needed surgery, I was very concerned about being exposed like that. As Scoopyloo mentioned, these people are professionals, who truly have seen it all, and they won't expose any more than what's needed for the surgery. As for what to ask at your pre-op appointment, we have a wonderful article on that; perhaps one of our hostesses or sunshine sisters can give you a link. A few questions off the top of my head: how long will I be in the hospital; how will the post-op pain be managed; what will my restrictions be, and for how long. Don't worry about asking questions that seem silly or embarrassing, because they've also heard it all. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks ladies

Hello, let me start by saying what has already been said. The doctors and nursing staff are to do a job, they have seen it all... the good, the bad, the ugly, different colors, shapes, everything! LOL. My sister is a nurse for a large nationwide provider and she works in OB-GYN we talk about these things all the time, and she said that herself and the docs have seen it all and nothing surprises or shock them. Please try to stay calm and remember it is your health. Ask ANY questions that you feel you need to ask, regardless of how silly you think they may sound. Ask questions!! My pre-op was just 4 days ago and I asked everything... how long was my surgery? How long would I be in the hospital? How is the procedure actually performed? What doctors and nurses will be in the operating room? I even told them some of my expectations like I want them to update my family who will be in the waiting room.

Try to relax, and again...remember this is your health. Best wishes and speedy, healthy recovery.

01/18/18 is my surgery date.
Unread 01-15-2018, 09:43 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 1/31: Wed, 1/17 is my pre-op appt. Getting excited and nervous

As for visitors, your visitors should step out when staff comes in if needed. You can also ask ahead of time for nurses, etc to not talk about your business in front of them, which borders on HIPPA issues anyway.

For that day getting ready for surgery, my hospital takes you back by yourself first and gets you into a gown, start IV, go over history, etc. Then they call your support person back, until time to actually go into the OR.
Unread 01-15-2018, 10:58 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 1/31: Wed, 1/17 is my pre-op appt. Getting excited and nervous

Like everyone said, they see this stuff all the time. Daily, several times a day. For months and years. You'll want to constantly remind yourself of this.

I'm pretty self-conscious and modest too, and my health journey was full of awkward moments. A lot of people lose their inhibitions when they actually get into the situation. I found this somewhat the case for me. At some point you realize that accepting the situation is better for your sanity than worrying about it. Just do what you need to do so I can get out of here and go home and heal.
Unread 01-15-2018, 11:38 AM

:thank you to all the ladies and advice you gave me. Makes me feel so much better and a lot less alone. You girls are AWESOME!!!
Unread 01-18-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
:thank you to all the ladies and advice you gave me. Makes me feel so much better and a lot less alone. You girls are AWESOME!!!

How did your pre-op appointment go?

One question you can still call and ask (or use a portal if your doctor's office has one to message the doctor) is when will you see him/her after surgery? I wanted to know this one.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register