Upcoming March hysterectomy: How many sick leave day have you asked? (teacher) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming March hysterectomy: How many sick leave day have you asked? (teacher) Upcoming March hysterectomy: How many sick leave day have you asked? (teacher)

Unread 01-15-2021, 06:22 AM
Upcoming March hysterectomy: How many sick leave day have you asked? (teacher)

I have searched this topic and I apologise if I have missed it.
I d like to know how many sick leave days you have been given.
I have chosen to have the surgery done 3 days before the start of my 2 week Easter break ( I am a teacher) so that I can return to teaching straight after and take only the 3 days i'll be at the hospital. I am aware that I 'll still be tired up to 4 weeks but is it realistic? I m having a vaginal laparoscopic hysterectomy ( although my fibroid is quite large but my doc says it should be ok to have him removed that way).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2021, 05:24 PM
Re: How many sick leave day have you asked?

I asked for two weeks off generically. I ended up taking off 2 days before the surgery for a covid test and self-quarantine before surgery. I feel pretty good right now but said I might need more sitting and less moving around after the 2 weeks.
Unread 01-15-2021, 06:10 PM

Thanks Kbecks. I also have to take a covid test the Sunday before I get to the hospital for my op on the Tuesday but I will work on the Monday. I am based in HK with hardly any covid cases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympe View Post
I have searched this topic and I apologise if I have missed it.
I d like to know how many sick leave days you have been given.
I have chosen to have the surgery done 3 days before the start of my 2 week Easter break ( I am a teacher) so that I can return to teaching straight after and take only the 3 days i'll be at the hospital. I am aware that I 'll still be tired up to 4 weeks but is it realistic? I m having a vaginal laparoscopic hysterectomy ( although my fibroid is quite large but my doc says it should be ok to have him removed that way).
My neighbor had hers and was smart scheduling hers around Thanksgiving (she wanted to wait until xmass, but she couldn't). She was able to request doing her classes remote. Not sure if your back I'm school 100%.
Unread 01-15-2021, 09:06 PM

Hi Olympe -

Having a hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY. No matter the type, you will have much internal healing to do. Recovery is different for everyone, but you still need to think in terms of weeks and not days. Going back full time just two weeks post op may be a bit ambitious. Work takes way more energy than you realize. Keep in mind that you will have lifting restrictions: 10 lbs for 6 weeks and 20 lbs for 8 weeks is common, and you will have driving restrictions: 2 weeks or more is typical. Do you have a teachers aid that can help? Can you extend your leave? Talk to your doctor about your teaching duties and see when you will be released to return to work.

Unread 01-19-2021, 01:52 PM
Re: Upcoming March hysterectomy: How many sick leave day have you asked? (teacher)

I'm interested to see what others say as well. I too, am a teacher. I took off one week, and then the next week is my winter break. I was hoping to return after winter break, and teach from my desk with minimal standing. I did tell my Principal I will keep him updated, and he is very understanding if I need to take more time off.
Unread 01-20-2021, 10:18 AM

Definitely ask your doctor! I am a substitute teacher, day 12 post-op and cannot imagine trying to teach right now. Surgery went really well and little pain but if I try to do too much, I notice discomfort and/or spotting. Our school generally assumes teachers need 6 weeks off for this surgery. Might depend on whether you teach littles and need to be very active or older grades and can sit if necessary or do online.
All the best to you on your upcoming surgery!
Unread 01-22-2021, 08:46 AM
Re: Upcoming March hysterectomy: How many sick leave day have you asked? (teacher)

Thanks for your experience. I received my medical certificate and the doc has given me 3 weeks off starting from my operation date ( 2 days at hospitil). Since I ll have 2 weeks off for Easter break I will only miss 3 days. I m due back on the Wednesday on the week we are back but I should be ok on starting on the Monday. I live in HK and to get to work i take a boat and a taxi so it's relaxed. I work in an international school and i have no duty apart from teaching my classes. I think my work load is lighter. Only issue is that i have to change classroom for each lesson so lots of walking and changing stairs but after 2 weeks of just resting i should be fine
Unread 01-22-2021, 06:01 PM

Hello,
I requested two weeks from my desk job to recover from my LAVH next month. I am hoping I can return remotely, and in-person gradually, after those two weeks. I know it might take another 2 weeks after the initial two to feel like sitting at my desk.
Hope you have an easy preparation!
Unread 01-22-2021, 08:14 PM

My doctor gave me the max allowed, of six weeks. I had an abdominal but I don't think that matters. I wasn't asked what type of work I do either. I have a desk job and can work from home so I did ok but did have to recline a few times during the day.

And wear loose waisted pants or a long shirt!!! I went into the office one day in jeans and had to unbutton them while I was at my desk and then completely forgot they were undone and was walking around. Thankfully my shirt covered it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register