Scheduled TAH Upcoming August hysterectomy: My surgery plan just changed to abdominal :( Also ovary questions. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming August hysterectomy: My surgery plan just changed to abdominal :( Also ovary questions. Upcoming August hysterectomy: My surgery plan just changed to abdominal :( Also ovary questions.

Unread 07-10-2020, 01:52 AM
Upcoming August hysterectomy: My surgery plan just changed to abdominal :( Also ovary questions.

I was supposed to get a Laproscopic version, supposedly easier to get through after the fact, but as of a new ultrasound yesterday (after experiencing some major complications and pain) the news is it's better to go abdominal. The fibroid is too embedded into the uterus (and got bigger yet again.)

Any tips on how this changes things recovery wise? I had been reading up on lapro and read up a lot on the gas complaints here for lapro (arms and shoulders). Does that still happen with abdominal? Or is that the other kind of gas? Wondering about what to buy in advance to help.

I have no idea how I'm going to 'survive' the final cycle before surgery after the horrific 11 days I just had and now I'm back in pain again (day 16). My doc said I can use Lystada but with a high stroke risk, I'm not sure I want to.

I have an ovary that has a "blood flowing through" cyst that is new on the left side that twice now has woken me up with nausea in the middle of the night. He said he'll cut that cyst off the day of the hysterectomy but wasn't overly concerned about its size. (And he can decide if the ovaries need to go or not when he sees them. My goal from the beginning was not get slammed into menopause and now I'm concerned about keeping them. He said he could take the left and let me keep the right. But I had a cyst on that a few months ago (didn't give me any problems and it went away naturally.) But still... anyone choose to get rid of them to avoid future problems? If so did you regret that? My estrogen #'s are low naturally. So I wonder how much I'd notice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2020, 04:19 AM
Re: My surgery plan just changed to abdominal :( Also ovary questions.

and greetings from a fellow fibroid sister!
How large is your fibroid, and how large is your uterus overall? My uterus was the size of a 22 week pregnancy, and my largest fibroid was a jumbo grapefruit deeply embedded inside the uterine wall. I had 2 monthly shots of Lupron, which shrank everything to the point where I could have my surgery done laparoscopically; it works by temporarily shutting down esteogen production, so your fibroid will shrink and your cycles will stop. I suggest that you get a second opinion from an OB/GYN who specializes in treating fibroids, who has more specialized expertise in this area, and might still be able to do the surgery laparoscopically. If you do end up with an abdominal surgery, laparoscopic gas will not be a concern, but regardless of surgery type, intestinal gas is a common complaint during the first few weeks of recovery; items I suggest having on hand for this include a good pair of walking shoes, a heating pad, peppermint tea, fennel or coriander seeds, Gas-X, and magnesium-rich dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds to get your bowels moving to release any trapped gas. As for your ovarian cyst, I'm sorry I can't share any personal experience, but we have many sisters who can share their experiences. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 07-10-2020, 12:12 PM
Re: Upcoming August hysterectomy: My surgery plan just changed to abdominal :( Also ovary questions.

I had TAH for my fibroids. It was not at all as bad as I imagined it. The recovery, granted is a bit slower due to the 7" cut that I had. Overall, I cannot complain, the worst was getting in and out of bed!! You will understand what I mean when you get there. Use lots of pillows and go slow for any movement you are doing. 2 Weeks did a lot in terms of being more comfortable getting in and out and sleeping in general. I have my ovaries yet even though the concern was there also of a cyst. I don't really know which is better because my hormones are all over the place and they just don't seem to level off anymore. Before hysterectomy it almost seemed more controlled. Good Luck and DON'T overthink things!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2020, 01:55 PM
Re: Upcoming August hysterectomy: My surgery plan just changed to abdominal :( Also ovary questions.

Hi Joyfulnoise777! I agree with country dame that the recovery for TAH was totally not as bad as I thought it might be! And yes - pillows for support were amazing. I was also so thankful for my little tummy pillow - we put in between my belly and the seatbelt during the car ride home from the hospital to cushion it, and whenever I had to cough I held it against my incision/staples and it helped a lot then too (the intubation tube I had in during surgery made my throat a bit irritated for several days).

I did have intestinal gas pains, but walking does help! I also wore a binder when getting out of bed and walking around, and I found it really helped & supported me - this is only my experience though, since everyone is different and I know that there are some who really loved their binders and some who didn't care for them : ). We did put a gauze pad on top of my incision to cushion it so the binder didn't touch it directly and this made it more comfortable. And yes, totally go slow and listen to your body.

I was able to keep both of my ovaries, but even so I did have some menopausal symptoms (hot flashes and my emotions were all over the place) for about 3 weeks after surgery before they began functioning normally again.
All in all, recovery was really not as bad as I thought! Best of luck for your surgery and sending you many warm wishes for a good and peaceful recovery : ).
Unread 07-11-2020, 02:42 PM

Hi Joyfulnoise777 -

Having a hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY. No matter the type, you will have much internal healing to do. You really need to think in terms of weeks and not days for recovery. For open abdominal surgery, they do not inflate you with gas (they can see everything, so there is no need, plus it would just float away). But, your bowels an get a bit testy after surgery. They get jostled around during the surgery and they can be quite unhappy about the whole affair. So abdominal issues can be a problem.

I had TAH BSO (total open abdominal hysterectomy with both tubes and ovaries removed) and a 6-inch vertical incision. I lost everything - no choice for me. But, if I could have I would have kept one or both ovaries. If you ovaries are healthy, it is advisable to keep them, as long as there is not other personal or family health issues that would suggest otherwise. Here are articles that may provide information:

Should I Keep My Healthy Ovary?
Should I Keep My Ovaries if I Am Near Menopause?
25 Health Risks Related to Oophorectomy and Surgical Menopause

Do research, talk with your doctor and make the best decision for you regarding your ovaries.

Unread 07-11-2020, 04:58 PM

I had laproscopic, 5 incisions and it was all sent out thru my vagina. My ovaries had giant orange sized endometrial cysts and could not be saved. My surgeon was going to save my ovaries because im still in my 30s but said we will see when we get in there. When I woke up she said she had to take both ovaries. 2 weeks later i started a compound hormone cream. I hardly have any menopause symptoms! After surgery I felt no different. About 11 days later i got hot in my sleep and that went away after starting the compound cream. I feel amazing! I am actually happy that my ovaries are gone because now I dont have to worry about future surgeries and more cysts. There are risks to not having ovaries but I had no choice and since the decision was made for me, I am totally fine with that. My surgeon made me promise her i would use the hormone cream for the next 15-20 years and I told her I would. So far so good!! As for the gas, yeah thats the worst pain for me in the entire recovery process but only lasted a couple days. My shoulder hurt really bad! Recover with laproscipic is still major so I think either way they do it, theres still a lot of recovery involved.
Unread 08-01-2020, 10:27 AM

I don't know how I missed all of your replies. Normally I get email alerts. Thank you guys for all of your wonderful support when I first posted this.

My surgery is this Wed. I didn't have time to experiment with asking for another opinion or taking 2 months to go on Lupron for shrinking stuff. One reason for now is also to get through recovery before I have to resume work. And 2 months later means I'd be working and couldn't take the time off.

I really need to avoid the next cycle too which is due a week after surgery b/c of extreme bleeding and being anemic. We're trying to avoid needing a blood transfusion. I used Lystada the final cycle which is now over but that comes with a high stroke risks due to some of my personal health issues, so I don't want to do that again. And glad I shouldn't have to. Provided my COVID test be negative like it should be. (Man that was truly awful! No one tells you it hurts so many hours after! And my nostrils STILL BURN right now, almost 24 hours later.)

My biggest fibroid is around 8 by 8 by 9cm. And my doctor IS going to try laparoscopic first but has my written permission to change course during if needed. He doesn't want to put me through a 5 hour surgery if he starts and realizes it will take that long to accomplish lap. He likely will take left ovary. And check on the right to determine if I keep that one.

My hope is he can break it up okay and take it one way. Rather than having to deal with Lap gas recovery pains like you guys mentioned PLUS the incision of abdominal. Talk about having the worst of both worlds. But I want to try lap first hoping it will work. I've seen others on here with fibroids the same size or bigger who still did Lap. So here's hoping.
Unread 08-01-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfulnoise777 View Post
I don't know how I missed all of your replies. Normally I get email alerts. Thank you guys for all of your wonderful support when I first posted this.
Are you no longer getting email alerts, but you were before? Have you made any changes to your account settings? If you have not, check your spam box to see if they are there. If not on all accounts, please let me know on this thread and I will alert IT support.
Unread 08-02-2020, 06:23 AM

Marestail, Yes it did alert me this time. I'm not sure why it didn't others. I have occasionally seen these (and my store purchase email) show up in spam. I mark them not spam.

But thankfully it seems to be coming through now. Thanks for replying.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register