Scheduled TVH Vaginal removal of uterus, please help! (worried about weight gain after surgery) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal removal of uterus, please help! (worried about weight gain after surgery) Vaginal removal of uterus, please help! (worried about weight gain after surgery)

Unread 09-12-2020, 05:20 PM
Vaginal removal of uterus, please help! (worried about weight gain after surgery)

Hey ladies wanted to share my experience. I'm 6 months po. You guys sound much more motivated and health conscious than I ever was. Which will be a benefit for you later. You may likely notice an increase because you won't be able to be as active for awhile. No heavy lifting, twisting or bending at least 6 weeks but I was nervous of tearing the cuff or causing a setback so I waited until I was cleared at 3 months. It wasn't until the 4th month where I actually felt better like it was worth doing. Fatigue and tenderness lingered for quite awhile and even now I lack so much drive and motivation for much. I don't know if you've read about swelly belly but it's common after this surgery because while healing we will still get inflammation especially if we do too much. I could see a difference by the end of the day or a long week. Hormonal changes still take place with keeping our ovaries and we will still cycle just not bleed. About 5th month I noticed more weight gain with no changes on my part. My gyn told me to start some supplements to see if that combats some of the changes I'm having (acne, hair shedding, weight and fatigue) so I'm hopeful that helps, and I found a 3 day smoothie detox and then 21 day smoothie diet that I just started last week. Then I'm hopeful to start a better physical routine to keep results. Don't get discouraged, it doesn't happen to all but it is common. I didn't plan on the hormonal issues since keeping ovaries but they do have to adjust to a new blood supply and being messed with during surgery. Keep track of your changes and be persistent with your doctors. Took awhile until they even agreed to check my levels just to have a baseline to see if they're not failing. And I've read its a good idea to set your expectations for total healing to be at least a year. I'm trying to stay positive until then and take everything day to day knowing it has to get better. Best of luck to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2020, 09:44 PM
Vaginal removal of uterus, please help! (worried about weight gain after surgery)

I had the same procedure. Unfortunately I gained weight about 9-10 months after. I didn’t change anything. However, I do believe I’m getting back to myself and losing a few pounds now. Everyone is different. I struggled to heal and it took me every bit of 6 months to feel normal again. I’m 3.5 years post surgery now. Doing fine. You will too.
Unread 09-20-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki616 View Post
Hi ladies! Looking for some feedback from anyone that has had their uterus removed, but left their ovaries in place. I’m a very fit person and have been losing weight for the last 6 months. I’m finally where I want to be/maintain weight wise, and now, I have to have a hysterectomy (large fibroids). My doctor is leaving my ovaries, but I’m still petrified that I will gain weight because of this. I would love to hear some experiences from anyone who had a similar procedure, what’s it like 3-6 months after this surgery?! Thank you!
So long as your ovaries kick back in, weight should stay the same. Mine did not,but I only gained 5ish pounds so far. I am a year out and still figuring the hormone thing out. Just DO NOT do things too soon. Know it may take months to be able to work out again safely. I could only walk for 4 months after. Any thing else would hurt and my lower back would hurt badly. It was 6 months before I was somewhat back to normal. I did have complications and a difficult recovery, so that may not be the norm.I was worried about weight gain too. Hormones ended up being the biggest issue for me. Cyber hugs to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register