Prolapse - quality of life???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Prolapse - quality of life???? Prolapse - quality of life????

Unread 01-31-2005, 03:13 PM
Prolapse - quality of life????

Saw a uro-gyn today for second opinion. Diagnosis:
3rd degree uterine prolapse
enlarged uterus - 8-10 weeks
2 small fibroids
2nd degree cystecele
1st degree rectocele
Stress incontinence

Much better than the first doctor, who would only do abdom hysterectory and saw no need to fix the other problems.

DR # 2 will do all this vaginally. If she does surgery, she recommends fixing everything at once. I understand it could get worse, although the DR said it may stay the same for years.

Now the dilemma. I'm not in pain for any of this so it really is a quality of life issue. Can anybody give me an idea of how these repairs affected their quality of life? Would they do it again? How long ago was your repair and has it held?

thanks
Ashley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2005, 04:31 PM

HI Ashley

I have not had any personal experience with the symptoms you are having so I can not offer any personal advice for you

I did want to share some articles in our resources about prolapse.
Click on this link

Hopefully you will find some good information in there and hopefully someone will come along to share their experiences with you.

Unread 02-01-2005, 01:26 AM

Hi Ashley! Sorry you're facing this decision. I had to make a similar one three years ago, only my prolapse was 4th degree, so I really didn't have a choice. I wasn't in pain, either, but I was starting to get lots of infections, it was uncomfortable to sit or walk, I had problems with stress incontinence, I had to 'splint' (push with my fingers from inside the vagina) to have a bowel movement. More than all that, my DR said I was in danger of hemmorhaging if my uterus were to turn itself inside out, and it was perilously close to doing so. I was planning to travel overseas in a couple of months at that time, and she told me she would advise me not to go unless and until I had the surgery. The risks were just too great.

I had everything done vaginally - hysterectomy, repairs and ovaries removed. I've behaved myself as far as observing my DR's cautions about lifting (nothing over 10 pounds the first six weeks; nothing over 25 pounds after that).

So far, so good as far as the repairs go. I no longer suffer from incontinence. The 'celes are a thing of the past.

However, I've had a string of other problems since the hyst that all somehow seem to be related. That's why I recommend that no one have the surgery unless they absolutely have to... after trying all other alternatives. Not everyone ends up with complications, of course, but the trouble is, you don't know going into it whether you will or not. Finding the right hormonal balance with HRT's (which can sometimes be necessary even if you keep your ovaries) can be difficult and time consuming.

If I had it to do over again, I'd still have the surgery because I had to, but I'd really, realy, really not want to.

Good luck with your decision.
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2005, 03:21 AM

Thank you for the reply Linda.

I'm really torn about this. How does one define quality of life anyway? I have constant heavy pressure, infections, and urine leaking. But then I read other women's horror stories and realize this is nothing compared to their problems. On the other hand, I really cannot imagine dealing with this for years to come - I'm only 44. The DR said I could consider a pessary, but that could make the rectocele worse. I've read from several sources that to think of using a pessary for years and years to come is not a great option.

Where is the magic 8-ball when I need one?

Ashley
Unread 02-01-2005, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ashley103
How does one define quality of life anyway? I have constant heavy pressure, infections, and urine leaking. But then I read other women's horror stories and realize this is nothing compared to their problems. On the other hand, I really cannot imagine dealing with this for years to come - I'm only 44. The DR said I could consider a pessary, but that could make the rectocele worse. I've read from several sources that to think of using a pessary for years and years to come is not a great option.
Hi Ashley:

When you sort out all this info, it doesn't matter if other women have worse pre-op symptoms than you do... only YOU must live with the pre-op symptoms AND the post-op results (good or bad)...

In hindsight, I realized that my near-constant cycle of urinary tract infections and yeast infections was probably a result of the prolapse (I haven't had any since hyst!)...

Keep reading and posting, and researching. Check out the link that troubled tabby posted for you... Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 02-03-2005, 11:35 AM

Hi Ashely,

I am in the same dilema as you only I am only 32. What is quality of life? My life on the whole isn't bad. Just discomfort during my period, and if I stand too long at any time, I feel like my insides are going to fall out. My doc also said that I could stay like this for years if I want. But sex is getting to be uncomforable at times too. So I just don't know what to do.

Before I found this group I was just going to do it. But my doc told me to do some research, so I did. If he asked I didn't want to lie! That's when I started getting confused. I really don't want to live like this for years. I also need a lot of reconstruction done, and I know that will help me a lot too. But the PAIN of recovery scares me to death!

I know this doesn't help you much, I just wanted you to know that I am in the same place as you!
Unread 02-07-2005, 10:48 AM

Hi Pollymae,
I'm new here and just read yours and Ashley's posts--I, too, am in the same boat as both of you. I was all ready to just have the hysterectomy (I'm 35) and now the more I read, the more I am not sure what to do. I have an ultrasound this afternoon to find out exactly what is going on and then possibly a surgical consult from that point on. I don't know anyone else who has gone through this at my age, so I am finding this board helpful.

Just wanted you to know I know what you're going through!! Hang in there....
Sue
Unread 02-07-2005, 07:41 PM

Hello Ladies,

I was reading your posts and find that I have some of the same questions. I, too, have prolapses. I am scheduled for hysterectomy on Feb. 28th. I went for a 2nd opinion today. I know I have the prolapses. I just thoght if a 2nd dr. told me I needed a hystectomy I would feel more comfortable about it. The bladder is the worst. So far, I haven't had any leaking, but the doctor said it was definitley in my future if I didn't take care of things. AFter my ultrasound in Dec (by the 1st dr.) I was told I could possibly have adnemyosis because my uterus is 12 weeks size and spongey. And that I have pelvic congestion. I have decided I have 3 things I can do about all this. 1.) Do nothing-which things could get worse and I have to live with, severe back pain half of each month and the feeling like my insides are trying to push their way outside. 2. ) Wear a pessary or just tack everything back up- neither one is very long term. 3.) the hysterectomy- but then you must live with the consequences, good or bad. Not very good choices, huh? Anyways, that's what I have figured out. Still sometimes I find myself trying to second guess myself. I'm so scared. Scared of the surgery and scared of not doing it. I just want to do what is right for me. If I was in horrible pain or if the dr. said I had to have one, it would be so much easier to do it. I guess, we are big girls and we need to decide for ourselves. Not an easy thing to do. Good luck with your decisons.

Donna
Unread 02-07-2005, 09:00 PM

Donna, best of luck with your surgery. The more I think about this, the more I think I, too, will probably opt for the surgery also. I have a question though... my doctor (well, actually, she is a nurse practioner) who did my initial diagnosis last week, told me that because I am sexually active, a pessary isn't really an option. I didn't think much more about it because I wasn't really keen on the idea of using one anyway, but since then, I have yet to read anything--anywhere--that coincides with that. Has anyone out there been told that? I can only guess that maybe if you aren't faithful enough w/ cleaning it, you could get a bad infection? I don't know....

At any rate, best of luck to you -- I know this isn't an easy decision, but I have always thought with most situations, you have to do what is best for you. Like you said--we're big girls who can decide for ourselves and the best thing in my opinion that you can do is not to second guess yourself.

Good luck to you!
Unread 02-08-2005, 04:54 AM

Hi, your diagnosis is similar to mine, except that my rectocele was a lot worse. I don't know what grade it was, but I had real problems going to the bathroom. It is difficult to decide when these kind of every day aches get bad enought to need surgery.

I know stress incontinence is a nuisance, but it is not life threatening; is it worth a hysterectomy?

I dont know.

Because my situation was more complicated (cancer concerns) I think that swung me towards surgery; but I am not sure I did the right thing. I mean there is no point in wishing i hadn't cos I did; but I dont' know.

Like your doc. said, if things stay the same you might feel ok; if they get worse, you might not.

Have you tried kegels/pelvic floor exercises? They are meant to help some people

I had all the surgery done at once, vaginally, and it wasn't *too* bad afterwards - the worst thing was sitting down, felt like I was sitting on a porcupine or at the least a hair brush all the time. But that has healed now.

But you aren't the same after a hysterectomy. Or at least if they take your ovaries. Or I don't think so.

Love
H

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register