No narcotics during TAH/BSO | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No narcotics during TAH/BSO No narcotics during TAH/BSO

Unread 03-13-2005, 08:52 PM
No narcotics during TAH/BSO

Hello.

4 days until TAH/BSO and I am really wanting to hear from you gals that made it through the hospital stay with no narcotics.

I have also read about alot of gals having problems with bladders and bowels. Do drinking lots of water and cranberry juice and eating plenty of fiber help? How long before you can eat things that may cause gas? Someone said make sure I roll from side to side to dispel the gas after surgery.

Having reservations about leaving things undone before surgery. I am planning on making sure I don't do things before I am ready. If I have learned anything from all the posts is that I need to rest, rest and rest some more and not think I can do my Superwoman duties because I feel good one day.

Hugs to all the gals going in next week.

Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2005, 10:23 PM

HI!
Are you anticipating not having any narcotics - not quite sure if that's what you are asking.
I think you'll hear from most of us (all of us?) that we had some kind of narcotic pain meds - this is major surgery. Personally, I did really well, and was off narcotics at 3 days post-op - other princesses will have different experiences. All will advise you to not let the pain/discomfort take over. Medicine has come quite far in this scene - realizing the effects of pain.

As for recovery, you are absolutely right about the REST. It was actually one of the most peaceful times of my life.
Blessings to you!
AMF

TAH/kept ovaries - 7/19/04 - adenomyosis/fibroid/heavy bleeding
FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!
Unread 03-14-2005, 05:18 AM

My Gyn said that I will have the PCA after surgury for pain.I can't imagine surgury WITHOUT pain meds!!! :cry:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2005, 06:37 AM

Hi, I can't take narcotic meds because of allergic reactions to them. I did pretty well on the non narcotic meds. I think that you should talk to your dr about what pain meds that you can take. As already said, you more than likely will need some. There's no reason for you to hurt unnecessarily.

I had a lot of gas after my tah/bso - I started walking the day after my surgery ( slowly and short distances at first ). That helped me a lot.

Best wishes.

s
Unread 03-14-2005, 08:50 AM

HI....back again!
Hope you ask your doctor about the pain meds....I never thought of allergies, which may be your case.

As for the gas, it can be uncomfortable - moving around will help, especially those walks.
Keep asking your questions!! Most likely someone can offer a suggestions, etc.
Blessings to you!
AMF
Unread 03-14-2005, 09:02 AM

What I meant is what can you take for pain besides narcotics. I am quite senistive to medications and just dont something that is gonna make me all foggy and feeling worse than I need to. Does that make sense. I know some gals have referred to Lortadol or Toradol for pain. I know alot have been given morphine after surgery but as stated by many, it doesnt really take the pain away. Whats the point in being all doped up if you are still in pain.

Hugs,

Diane
Unread 03-14-2005, 10:28 AM

I had TAH 7 weeks ago. I was very scared because pain meds make me very sick. A MD friend told me about Merperidine (Demerol combined with phernergan). I am a nurse and also don't like the "fuzzy" feeling. I came out of the OR with Merperedine in the pump. It is nice because you can regulate how much you want. And for the first time I didn't get sick, Yea! They also gave me the Toradol. I came home with both Rx. As someone said each person's pain is different. When I got home I took Toradol in the daytime and the other at night. After a week I mainly used Tylenol. But don't try to be overly brave because it will slow your recovery as much as overmedicating. If you hurt too bad you won't move, walk or most importantly cough after surgery. Take care my prayers are with you. Lynn
Unread 03-14-2005, 12:10 PM

Torodol would be my drug of choice. Wonderful stuff! I had a morphine pump which made me , the Demerol they replaced it with made me too, but the Torodol the nurse gave me when she got me up the first time to change my bed and give me a bath lasted for a long, long time! I decided then and there that if I ever have surgery again, I'm asking for Torodol.
Unread 03-14-2005, 01:46 PM

I was very sick from any narcotic they tried. The day after my surgery we switched to 800mg of Ibuprofen. It worked great, no sickness, I could get up and move around and it took the edge off the pain. I was also allowed to use a heating pad on my stomach which helped a lot. Getting up and going for walks helped a lot too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register