Pre-op Doctor's Appointment Report | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op Doctor's Appointment Report Pre-op Doctor's Appointment Report

Unread 04-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Pre-op Doctor's Appointment Report

My husband and I just went for my pre-op appointment. My LSH is scheduled for 5/5. I'm having my uterus removed and hope to keep my cervix. Here's what I found out; my uterus is 200 grams, so it's almost 3x the normal size, with fibroids.

My doctor told me the surgery should take 1-2 hours, and I will be in the hospital overnight, unless I'm doing really well and want to go home that evening, then I can (I don't care where I am as long as I can watch The Biggest Loser). I will have compression stockings. I do not have to have a BM before I leave the hospital (there's not going to be anything in there!). I can drive as soon as I'm off vicodin and feel well enough. He says I don't need an abdominal support band (we'll see!). I can eat real food the evening after surgery. I can use Gas X pills if I want. I will have a catheter in until 3 p.m. (my surgery is scheduled for 10 a.m.) My total recovery time is 1-2 weeks. I can have sex after 2 weeks. The day before the surgery I am to be on a liquids only diet, and then the dreaded bowel prep that evening.

Everything went well. My husband had one question; "what will go in the place where the uterus was?" The doctor said everything in there will shift and the bowel will probably drop some. Then my husband told my doctor that I had been on the hystersisters website non-stop, and that I wanted him to go on misterhystersisters to read up on the procedure. A split second later, my doctor AND my husband proceeded to laugh their butts off that there was a misterhystersisters website. Men!

Overall, things went well. My iron is up to 10.6 (my last IV iron is this afternoon). The hospital is supposed to call this week for my pre-op testing. I have spring-cleaned my entire house. I have a list of groceries to buy Saturday morning. I will spend Saturday cooking and baking. On Sunday I will mow the lawn (I love mowing), do laundry and make sure everyting is in order.

Overall, I'm excited to finally solve my 20 year anemia problem, but still am nervous about having the surgery. I'll just keep my fingers crossed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Re: Pre-op Doctor's Appointment Report

good luck with your lsh! i had one over 2.5 years ago and feel fantastic. i had a very fast recovery like your dr is describing to you
Unread 04-27-2009, 11:01 AM

Im very new to this site... I too have severe anemia Im 31 and I will be having a hysterectomy in July.. I hope and pray all goes well with yours.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2009, 11:12 AM

Thanks so much for the detailed report. It is very helpful. I love that you are that much of a fan of the Biggest Loser. So am I. Luckily my surgery is in early June so this season will be done and I won't have to worry about it!

I also love how organized you are. I'm slowly ticking away at my list. I'm trying to do a little bit each weekend so that I'm not running around like a crazy person the weekend before. I don't want to be exhausted going into surgery like I was when I had my myomectomy.

As far as mowing the lawn, you go girl. That is my least favorite outside task. I would much rather be gardening. I am planning to bribe who ever I get to do it for me during my recovery to continue to do it for the whole summer!

Positive vibes and prayers for a successful procedure.
Unread 04-27-2009, 02:32 PM

Stickers, I have a feeling you will not care about Biggest Loser on your surgery day... I love the show also, but on the surgery day they could have had Duran Duran play down the hall from my room and I would have skipped it. And I LOVE that band.

I am surprised about 1-2 weeks recovery time. I am almost 8 weeks past LSH and I do not feel all recovered. You must be quite a super woman.
Unread 04-27-2009, 08:57 PM

My doctor told me basically the same things at my post-op appointment. I am now 6 days into my recovery from my LSH and it went pretty much as he told me. I am doing great already.

Don't worry about the bowel prep. It really wasn't that bad. Just have Vaseline, baby wipes and a good book handy.

Keeping busy before your surgery is a very good idea. Remember to stock your freezer with some meals. This has been a life-saver for us.

Hope all goes well for you too.
Unread 04-28-2009, 07:47 AM

It feels good to get that pre-op appointment over with, doesn't it?

Here's hoping your upcoming surgery resolves your issues and you have no further problems.
Unread 04-28-2009, 08:49 PM

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! That's funny about Duran Duran, that's one of my favorite bands. We are dating ourselves. I got my last IV iron yesterday and my hemoglobin is up to 11.6!

I think my DD is tired of hearing about my upcoming surgery. Yesterday I told her my uterus is 10 grams short of being 3x its regular size and she said these exact words, "for the last time, I don't want to hear about your uterus!". She's almost 15. She's been a huge help, though, with cleaning. Hasn't complained at all about the extra chores. AND she knew off the top of her head how many milliliters are in a liter (I'm trying to figure how long it's going to take me to drink my golytely).

Will I be able to watch The Biggest Loser next week? To be continued...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register