Having surgery in a couple wks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having surgery in a couple wks Having surgery in a couple wks

Unread 04-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Having surgery in a couple wks

I have been diagnosed with cervical dysplasia, and a retroverted uterus. which is prolapsing. I am 28 and doc has scheduled me for surgery. He wants to leave the ovaries but im not sure. One surgery is enough. Very nervous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2005, 02:53 PM

Hi Scrappy,
Here is one thread that I read that convinced me to keep my ovaries. I think it's a very personal choice, and it depends on your situation.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=189785

Just my personal thoughts - if the doc says keep them, then keep them. Just to take them out cause you're afraid of another surgery *in my opinion* is not a good idea, especially at your age. Why don't you create a new post and title it "Should I keep my ovaries - 28 years old" , then explain your situation again. Maybe some of the other sisters can answer about their own experiences.

Best,
Lisa
Unread 04-05-2005, 02:57 PM

I am a firm beleiver in if it's healthy it stays. There are numerous reasons to keep your ovaries (I'm 46 and keeping mine) without them you have a 500% greater risk of CVD and osteoporosis is almost a given- and the big one now: they are part of your endocrine system all of which works together. Take away the estrogen from the ovaries and all the other systems can go out of balance to some extent.

Do you want to be 28 years old and in menopause? That''s what removing the ovaries will cause. Yes ther is HRT - but that also has side effects.

IMO, you have a doc who is looking out for your long term health by wanting to leave the ovaries. Hoever, that does not mean he right about removing the others -- is he 'up' on the latest procedures, and treament methods/alternatives? ASK QUESTIONS!

Cervical dysplasia and the retroverted uterus do not affect the functionality of the ovaries - nor can the ovaries 'catch' either of those.

What I will suggest is a second opinion -- can the dysplasia be treated and your uterus tacked up (2 very different separate procedure). It's time for you to research, research, research
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2005, 02:59 PM

Hi Scrappy:

There are others here who will get more into the details, but given your age I would suggest you do some more research on whether or not to keep your ovaries.

Even if they did require "more" surgery, that may not occur for another 20-30 years, and in the meantime it will save you all those years of hormone therapy.

There are other threads here that have covered recent discussion on keeping/not keeping one's ovaries, why not read through them for starters?

HollyK
Unread 04-05-2005, 03:27 PM

Hi Scrappy,
I'm with the others. Keep those babies!!!!
Ovaries are important!!!!!
HRT is no easy row to hoe.

....and I'm sure the ladies here don't even want to get me started on reminding you to think about.... SAVING YOUR CERVIX.....
because of the great debate of the orgasm factor.

Take care,

Judy
Unread 04-05-2005, 03:34 PM

So what about the orgasm factor? I've seen lots of women here posting that the sex was fine without the cervix.

And before telling Scrappy she should also hang on to the cervix, maybe we should ask if that's mild or severe dysplasia.

HollyK
Unread 04-05-2005, 07:52 PM

I have been on antibiotics for 3 years for abnormal paps and cervical infections. At the time I didnt have insurance. I had a colp done with a whole list of abnormals gotten back. I have pelvic and tailbone pain. and they told me my uterus is flipped back and not moving. I have heavy bleeding on my period and when im not on my period . I bleed if I have sex. so I think I m ready to take the cevix and uterus out. I was just concerned because my mom had ovarion cysts.
Unread 04-05-2005, 08:24 PM

Whatever you decide just do your research just like you are doing. The word cyst has alot of negative connotations but the truth is we have cysts coming and going on the ovaries all the time (follicular). If there is a cyst which causes pain or problems or is persistant in some way they are commonly drained.
If your cervix is giving you ongoing serious issues then you'll decide how best to handle that. In term of orgasm yes women do have orgasm without the cervix but trust me I have been researching this issue up and down and asking women very personal questions and the most common reply I am hearing is that the orgasms are different.
However, I have also not met one person who has regretted her decision to go through with her surgery, so that says something.
Good luck Scrappydo!
Judy
Unread 04-05-2005, 08:34 PM

Scrappy,
I was in the same place you are. I thought "as long as they are in there, they might as well take everything." I did my research and told my dr to keep my ovaries if they're good. Remember, at your age who knows what kind of medical advancements there will be in 20-30 years. You will have had all that time with your ovaries and if they need to come out, it could be a lot easier than it is now. Just my
Unread 04-05-2005, 09:07 PM

Hi Scrappy,
I am 34 and I am keeping my ovaries. I have NO desire to be thrown into menopause just yet!!! Just my opinion..but if there is nothing wrong with them I would keep them, but you should do what you feel is right for you!!!

S Shanie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register