Fibroid (again!) - Hysterectomy or another option? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroid (again!) - Hysterectomy or another option? Fibroid (again!) - Hysterectomy or another option?

Unread 03-30-2021, 08:17 PM
Fibroid (again!) - Hysterectomy or another option?

Hi!

So my situation is a bit of a ride, so buckle up. hahaha!

I'm 26 years old and just found out I have a new fibroid. This is my 2nd fibroid My first one was found in 2016, and needed to get a myomectomy due to the size and other issues going on. I couldn't take off as I was in my senior year of college and I had to get through student teaching. I had 9 months of lupron shots that didn't reduce the size, but at least softened it so that I could have it done robotically. I graduated on a Friday and had my surgery the following Wednesday. At my annual appointment, my gyro found another fibroid. After an ultrasound, we realized it's bigger than the last one and almost in the same exact spot, but crossing over into the endometrial lining. I am severely symptomatic and can have my period anywhere between 13 days and 39 days.

My new hubby is sterile due to being a 2-time testicular cancer survivor who was told his swimmers would come back, but they never did. We know adoption is in our future.

I don't know what to do and am hoping you lovely ladies can give me some great advice. Is it worth it to keep my uterus because of my age or should I get a hysterectomy since natural kids aren't in our future? We know that there are fertility treatments out there, but there is a lot of baggage there with my husband.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2021, 03:44 AM

and greetings from a fellow fibroid sister!
My main troublemaker was a jumbo grapefruit inside the wall of my uterus, pressing on my bladder. Because of its size and location, and because I was 48 and single at the time, so preserving my fertility wasn't a concern, a hysterectomy was chosen as my best option; I was given 2 monthly shots of Lupron to shrink the fibroid so I could have the surgery done laparoscopically. However, if I could turn back time, I would have seen an interventional radiologist about doing a uterine artery embolization, a less invasive procedure that would have shrunken the fibroid while sparing my uterus. In addition to seeing an interventional radiologist, I recommend that you see an OB/GYN who specializes in treating fibroids, who is well-versed in alternative treatments, including UAE, and can help you to decide on what's right for your individual situation. Best wishes for whatever you decide!
Unread 03-31-2021, 06:11 AM
Re: Fibroid (again!) - Hysterectomy or another option?

So sorry to hear of your fibroid troubles! These things are nasty!! I had uterine artery embolization, also known as UAE or UFE. My fibroid was 9 cm and bled profusely, especially at the end. Embolization immediately resolved the bleeding and my fibroid slowly shrank. It reduced in size by almost 90%, slowly and over time. Interventional Radiology is a advanced science and works great for problematic fibroids. Mine never returned but if it did I would choose embolization again. Easy procedure, easy recovery and covered by most insurance plans. There is an interventional Radiology search tool on Google. Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2021, 04:43 PM

Well that sucks!

Hysterectomy sounds like an easy solution, but it's a major surgery, and complications do happen.
I don't want to scare you with my long story. If I had it to do over again, I would have also tried everything I could, before hysterectomy.
Unread 04-06-2021, 05:17 PM

Hi! I had a UAE for multiple fibroids in 2013. It did offer me several years of relief from the excessive bleeding, mind numbing cramps and carnage in my underwear. However, mine came back with a vengeance and I ended up with a hysterectomy in June 2019. I asked for the LAVH and life has been great. I don't regret it. However, definitely try the UAE because it may give you permanent relief. Peace and blessings to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UterusNoMoe View Post
Hi!

I'm 26 years old and just found out I have a new fibroid. This is my 2nd fibroid My first one was found in 2016, and needed to get a myomectomy due to the size and other issues going on. I couldn't take off as I was in my senior year of college and I had to get through student teaching. I had 9 months of lupron shots that didn't reduce the size, but at least softened it so that I could have it done robotically. I graduated on a Friday and had my surgery the following Wednesday. At my annual appointment, my gyro found another fibroid. After an ultrasound, we realized it's bigger than the last one and almost in the same exact spot, but crossing over into the endometrial lining. I am severely symptomatic and can have my period anywhere between 13 days and 39 days.

My new hubby is sterile due to being a 2-time testicular cancer survivor who was told his swimmers would come back, but they never did. We know adoption is in our future.

I don't know what to do and am hoping you lovely ladies can give me some great advice. Is it worth it to keep my uterus because of my age or should I get a hysterectomy since natural kids aren't in our future? We know that there are fertility treatments out there, but there is a lot of baggage there with my husband.
Unread 04-06-2021, 06:51 PM

I am sorry to hear about your fibroid issues. I had an fibroid embolization in October 2018. It is less invasive and a fairly quick recovery, but it was painful. I spent the entire night at the hospital in pain and sleepless. The next day I went home but I had horrible cramps for four or five days and I was extremely nauseous.
The embolization eased my pain some and lessened the amount of blood that flowed, but it did not shrink the size of the fibroid and I still had my period often.
In October 2019 I ended up having a total abdominal hysterectomy. I recovered quickly. I was working 1/2 days in two and a half weeks and I was back full time in four weeks.
I thought the hysterectomy was less painful and easy to recover from. Consider if the fibroids will continue to be a problem.
Good luck on your journey.
Best wishes.
Unread 04-07-2021, 01:05 AM

Congrats on your graduation.

It stumps me still that western medicine still don't understand these issues well.. Anyway, If I had known what I know now at your age I would have gone down a different track. but thats in the past. What I do know is that someone introduced me to Dim plus and while my endo was never going to go away without an Op my fibroids did shrink to nothing by the time I had surgery and I had quite a few. I was always regular and only in pain for a couple of days a month but the pain also went while I was taking Dim. So it could be worth a try.

I also consulted an Ayurvedic Practioner and I really wish I had plucked up the courage to go many years ago as I probably could have avoided a hysterectomy.

If you can afford it as well as the short term discomfort, freeze your eggs now before making any major decisions. My only regret. Your husband may change his mind about other fertility options down the track.

Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UterusNoMoe View Post
Hi!

Unread 04-07-2021, 10:27 AM

Learn everything you can now about your fibroids and how to balance your hormones. You have several more decades of high hormone activity, and figuring it out now can help in the long run, with menopause and weight and heart health and more. Take it from me, my fibroids, and my family history! I'm the first in my female line to reach menopause without a hysterectomy in 50 years, but it has definitely not been a smooth ride.

If your estrogen levels are aggravating your fibroids, the DIM supplement can help, as it helps you excrete out excess estrogen. It worked for me for a while.

A great book to read and get a good picture of how fibroids work and what the treatment options are is "Uterine Fibroids: The Complete Guide," by Elizabeth A. Stewart MD. It's a few years old now, but it's easy enough to get updates on the different treatments through Google.

It can be a whole project to collect and sift through all the info, but it's key to making the decision that's right for YOU! Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register