should I be concerned??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

should I be concerned??? should I be concerned???

Unread 01-19-2001, 10:07 AM
should I be concerned???

I am scheduled for my hyst..lavh/bso on Jan 29th, and was a little worried about a few things. I am in hopes that someone here can answer my questions or at least settle me down some.

The horrifying word of "Cancer" has not yet been mentioned in my case. However, I fear that when everything is taken and sent to pathology that will change and the terrifying :dragon: will come and get me. The reason for doing the hyst is due to 12 yrs of fighting cyst on the ovaries, one of wich was removed in 1989 (9cm). I now have multiple follicles (ie:cysts, depends on the doc as to what they are calling them?), irregular bleeding and adhesions, along with severe pain and cramping 3 out of 4 weeks of the month. I have a family history of cervical cancer resulting in my Mother having a hyst 22 yrs ago. I don't have any background on my paternal side of the family. I know ovarian cancer is hard to detect and I guess that would be my biggest fear. The doctor has tryed to convence me to keep the one ovary that has the multiple growths on it, which I think is rediculous Of course in the same breath he did say "keep it if we are able too". But is leaving the final decision up to be.

I guess my question is...has anyone here NOT been diagnosed with cancer prior to there hyst and found out after the surgery they did have some sort of cancer after all? Should I be concerned about this or am I just being over worried?

Oh, I would also like to say.. I am so glad for this site and the chat room.. I have met some very nice ladies and practicly live here now. before this site I was litterally :hair:

You princess's have been WONDERFUL!!!

Thank you soo much....Aim2pleezu2 ie: Messmereyz (Robin)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2001, 11:03 AM
should I be concerned???

I am so glad that you have met some very wonderful ladies here!! They are all so wonderful!
I had my hyst due to cervical cancer which was found before the hyst. The pathology results were only to verify the results of my biopsy. Sometimes the pathology shows either a more or less intense degree of cancer. As for the whole ovary issue...Your doc is saying that he wants to keep your ovary intact if he can. Meaningly, when he is performing your hyst, he will look at the ovary and see what kind of condition it is in. If he feels as though it will not be a problem and that you would benefit hormonally from it, then he would leave it. Now keep in mind that this is MY interpretation of that...you really do need to verify with your doctor on what exactly HE meant. Please don't take things for granted or hesitate in asking your doctor any questions that you may have. I still beleive strongly in writing them down for quick reference. We all get so forgetful when we are actually with our doctors. Best of luck to you....
Unread 01-19-2001, 02:10 PM
I think you can relax

Hi aim2,

Didn't I see you in chat last night? If so, you know I am still pre-op, in fact still with no date, for ovarian cysts. So I'm no expert, but there are a few things I've learned. First of all, if your doctor really suspected cancer he/she would most probably NOT be doing an LAVH.

Secondly, if your cysts have been referred to as 'follicular' or 'functional' they are most likely not cancer, according to what I have heard.

Now that is just from what I have heard, you understand. My guess is you must be much younger than I am or there probably wouldn't be talk of saving the other ovary. I really think you can relax. HONEST.

Arctic, still no date for TAH/BSO for suspected ovarian cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2001, 09:29 AM
should I be concerned???

I think Arctic is exactly right. Plus if your doctor suspected cancer he/she would have brought it up. But in any case just ask your doctor and he/she will set your mind at ease I am sure. As to keeping ovary - it is your decision. With family history, do you feel comfortable keeping it? Or do possible long term effects of HRT concern you more? Do what is best for you!
Unread 01-21-2001, 11:07 AM
should I be concerned???

Hi Robin,

I would think they would have at least mentioned it there was a strong possibility of cancer in your case.
When I had my hyst back in April although I hadn't really been diagnosed with cancer but we knew due to the CA125 results and MRI that the possibilities of NOT having it were pretty slim. The CA125 was very elevated and the MRI showed a huge mass. So, although they didn't completely rule out the possibility of it being something else we knew pretty much up front what it would turn out to be.

The suggestions the other ladies gave regarding discussing this with the Dr are really the best thing you can do. Write down any questions and concerns that you may have and bring up your family history (if you haven't already). The Dr. should be able to address these concerns and if the answers you get don't make sense be sure to get clarification on what they mean.

I hope you'll be able to get your fears soothed and get some definite answers. Take care and keep us posted on how things go.

Sending you lots of {{hugs}}.
Vicki
Unread 01-31-2001, 03:49 PM
should I be concerned???

HI Robin,

I am assuming your GYN does not suspect cancer at all otherwise he would be doing a TAH-BSO with a verticle incision. If ovarian cancer is even a possibility it has to be ruled out at the time of surgery otherwise you will have to have a second surgery. When suspecting ovarian cancer they first do an abdominal wash after first opening you up and send that washed fluid to lab to look for cancer cells. They have to search the entire abdomen all the way up to the diaphragm to look for any "tumor metastisies". They also do a frozen section of the ovarian cyst in the OR and if there are cancer cells noted they will also send lymph nodes at this time. There is no way all this can be done with a LAH or a vaginal hyst. He must be confident it is not cancer. If you are truely concerned I would get a second opinion. One other thing to make note of, if they were to be ruling out overian cancer there needs to be GYN Oncologist in the OR to do the lymph node biopsy. Sorry to be so detailed and hope this helps. I guess I'm rambling because I am going in on Feb. 12 for a TAH-BSO for a large 10.5cm cyst that has the possibility of being cancer. I work in the medical profession and have read way to much. I guess I'm getting a little anxious. I'm sure things will go fine for you and I will keep you in my prayers.

Debbie (evergoodx5)
Unread 02-01-2001, 10:32 AM
Just want to say thanks...

I would just like to say thank you to all the wonderful woman who have taken the time to respond to my post. I hear what all of you are saying, but I have not gone through any testing other than an ultra sound a year ago and more recently an endometrial biobsy. The justification for the hysterectomy has been based on the symptoms not the results of any tests, other than multiple cysts on the left ovary showing on the ultra sound. Oh yeah they have tried other treatments to no avail but no extensive test. Not even a diagnostic lap. And to be honest I dont care about that as long as they will end my problem. Obviously nothing else is working. So take it all PLEASE...LOL

Anyway thank you so much for you care and concern and your time..

Robin Messmer
LAVH/BSO possible TAH..was scheduled for the 29th of Jan..Post poned til further notice..STILL WAITING!!
[Edited by aim2pleezu2 on 02-01-2001]
Unread 02-06-2001, 05:30 AM
No current ultrasound?

Hi Robin,

You have had no recent ultrasound and a TAH is not planned??? I'm a little curious here. Perhaps it is just as well that you are going to another doctor.

On the other hand, if the previous ultrasounds have clearly shown simple cysts, which are not cancer, then maybe that's OK. I just know that prior to surgery I got every test imaginable so the surgeon would know what to expect.

I think I heard someone (maybe Cyd) say that cervical cancer and ovarian cancer are not related, so that even with cervical cancer present it can be OK to leave an ovary.

Well, don't mean to scare ya, just wondering out loud. I hope you get a date soon and that all is well.

I continue to improve a home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register