Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jan 12-Jan 18,2009 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jan 12-Jan 18,2009 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jan 12-Jan 18,2009

Unread 01-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jan 12-Jan 18,2009

If your hysterectomy was between Jan 12-Jan 18,2009 this is the place to post your progress during your hysterectomy recovery.

If you have a question about your recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns!

We hope you are recovering with plenty of rest and a bit of walking.

Post how you are doing here when you are home and well enough to sit a few minutes at your computer.

Don't forget to pamper the princess, drink plenty of water and walk a bit!

How to use the Progress Report threads:
  • 1. This thread is for the purpose of your hysterectomy recovery progress report.
  • 2. Generally, ONE or TWO posts on this thread per member/per day is adequate to share your daily progress.
  • 3. Remember to start a new thread to ask your questions.***
  • 4. The Progress Report threads will be moved at approximately 8 weeks post-op to the Date Club forum inside the HysterSisters clubhouse.
  • 5. Remember all the love & support you got here as a pre-op member? Now it's YOUR turn to give back to the women in Pre-Op Forum. Extend your hand and your hugs in replies to our pre-op ladies in waiting. This will complete our circle of Women Helping Women!

***If you have a question about your recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns! There's information on how to start a new thread in this link: New Here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2009, 07:40 AM

My surgery was done 1/12/09. Everything is going well except for the incission pains I was discharegd from the hospital esterday 1/14/09. The percocet for pain is helpful if taken ahead of time (every 4 hours). I went through a panic attack around 4am this morning because of feeling bloated and unable to pass B/M. I called the doctor on call and was advised to buy dacolax supository which after I used it, I was able to have BM. Still in recovery and taking things very easy. My advise is rest, rest and rest.
Unread 01-15-2009, 10:00 AM

I'm glad everything is going well for you. It has gone well for me as well. I had my surgery yesterday morning (LAVH), and was moved to my room for around 1 pm. Getting up walking around is key! I was up walking by 5:30pm (the nurses were amazed :-), had another walk at 7pm, and then again at 9pm before settling in for the night. This morning they took out the catheter at 6 am, and I was able to urinate normally. I'm home now, having been discharged at 10:30 this morning.

There was so much good advice on these boards prior to surgery so thanks to all those great ladies that posted their experiences. I did not find that I needed my own nightie or robe since they only kept me one day (as I expected, but I packed it anyway). I just stayed in the hospital gown and robe.

Aside from the obvious toothbrush and toothpaste... I had a private room which was really great, but I still found the earplugs helped a lot, especially during the afternoon where there was so much going on in the hallway (floor polishers!) Similarly for the nightshade for the eyes. We went ahead and ordered the tv which helped to keep me occupied, along with some trashy magazines and my iPod. I also read on here about packing baby wipes, and they were great for freshening.

The other thing that I think has helped me is that I kept my diet bland and light for the day prior to my surgery. Yogurt, soups, vegetable and juice drinks. I haven't had a lot of gas pain, and was even able to have a BM this morning before I left the hospital.

Feeling pretty good so far. Painkillers have just been Tylenols and Ibuprofen till this point. Hubby is gone now to make the run for the percocet!

I hope everyone else is doing well post-surgery! Thinking of you!

shari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Surgery day 1/13/09

I had a TAH Tuesday January 13 @ 1:00 o'clock. It was unexpected because I was planning on keeping my ovaries. Unfortunately, the endometriosis and scar tissue kept me from saving them. Anyway, I had trouble with the morphine drug and finally had it removed because it caused me to quit breathing. I'm now taking percocet and that seems to help a little. I am still in the hospital and expect to be here another day. I will keep you updated
Unread 01-15-2009, 03:20 PM

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy on 1/12/09 & was discharged from the hospital the next afternoon. Overall I'm feeling a little better in a sense every day. I am still experiencing some pain that I believe is due to gas. I have yet to have a BM & this is starting to make me worry. I've been using a stool softener since I was in the hospital & I eat very healthy but no luck yet. I'm desperate enough to try a bit of coffee right now. I typically don't drink caffeine, but I'm starting to get pretty uncomfortable. I may try a suppository since one of the other ladies said it worked for her.
I have been waking several times a night thanks to my very active bladder but I'm having some trouble going back to sleep. Instead I just lay there and rest until I fall asleep. So far, I've been taking it very easy during the day but I am so bored. Luckily, my husband works from home so he is available to help whenever I need him.
I have been walking around my house as much as possible but I'm afraid of overdoing it. I am an avid runner so the inactivity is driving me crazy, but I really want to make sure I have a great recovery.
Unread 01-15-2009, 05:16 PM

I had a TVH yesterday, the 14th, and I was discharged at noon today. I was in a lot of pain yesterday, and it took HOURS (8-9) to get it under control. Today, I am still super tired. Trying to take things easy, which isn't easy with 5 small kids! Hubby is here helping, and I am taking percocet every 4 hours, at least for today, to manage the pain. I soon will spread out the time I take them, to hopefully get off of all pain meds in a day or 2.
Unread 01-15-2009, 06:10 PM
sah january l3th

I hope Im doing this right...you just click on new reply right?

Lol< anyhow. First I want to thank this forum. Every doctor office should recommend this site to every patient. It helped me so much. I hadnt had surgery before and so I had no idea that the rooms werent private! After I read the hint on this site I called the hospital and found out it is only $30 to upgrade to private. Thank you so much. i would of been miserable sharing a room.

The day before surgery I found a site by H-E-R-S.com. I watched their video and just about freaked out. I called my doctor with all kinds of questions. I realized that the site is meant for women who do have alternatives they have not considered. So I calmed down and just kept thinking how much my life was interupted and painful from my problem.

Went to surgery at 10:30 a.m. on wednesday. My doctor had a c-section delivery right before me. Then me. My husband and daughters came with me so I felt great support. As soon as I was in my room I asked to walk as I had read that on this forum to do. It felt wonderful to walk. I then noticed I didn not have the bikini cut my doctor had told me he was going to do. I had a vertical incision with about l6 staples. He told me the uterus was too big. But I was confused cause I thought the measurements the sonogram gave was suppose to insure the procedure.

Oh well, whats done is done. Anyhow, he left my cervix. He had told me he was taking it out. SO I had a couple surprises. You may want to be clear wth your doctor about possible different outcomes so you wont be upset or nervous.

I got to come home yesterday at super time. I was doing great but could hardly rest at the hospital. It is a noisey place!!! Felt tremendous relief to be home.

Staples are suppose to be removed Monday so Ill be back and let you know how that goes.

thanks to everyone who gave me support and encouragement. It helps so much. I dont know how a woman without a hubby and two daughters to help her does it. I am so grateful for the support I have been given.

take care. Good luck.
Unread 01-15-2009, 08:47 PM
1-12-09

I had my TAH on the 12th due to having tons of painful adhesions (kept my ovaries, but my uterus and cervix are gone). I came home yesterday (the 14th) doing fairly well. I was walking the same day as my surgery. I am still taking the percocets b/c I am still having a pretty good bit of pain, but I have been able to space them out to taking one every 6 hours or so. And I take 800 mg motrin around the clock.
I have yet to have a bowel movement and I think that's what is causing this sharp pain I keep getting on my left lower abdomen. Hubby is out getting me some stool softener right now, so hopefully that will help things along.
I am having a VERY tough time remembering to take it easy. I am normally a very active person, so doing what seems like *nothing* is really getting to me. But I'm trying.
What has been really helpful for me (comfort-wise) is using one of those massagers you can strap to a chair. The one I have has three speeds and also has heat. The heat is the BEST part too! I even use it in the bed. I highly recommend using it.
I am very tired still and need frequent naps. But, strangely enough, I am also having some insomnia at night. I keep waking up very early in the morning (around 4 a.m.) and can't settle back down. I'm not sure if the afternoon naps are helping that or causing it, lol.
My tummy is very firm and swollen and I have to hold it steady when I walk for comfort's sake.
But all in all, I'm making progress.
Unread 01-15-2009, 09:36 PM

Had my TVH Monday the 12th, due to a small mishap with a reaction to morphine was not able to come home from the hospital until the 14th. I have been feeling unusually good other than the Large Swollen belly issue, and no BM yet. Other than that all is well in the land of Vicodin, and Motrin. lol
Unread 01-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Lavh 1/12/09

I had surgery Monday - kept my ovaries and one fallopian tube. I stayed an extra night because I hadn't passed gas or had a bowel movement, I "moved" twice Tuesday nite and was discharged yesterday around 11am. I'm anxious to recover so it's hard to sit/lay in this bed but I do walk around to keep myself limber.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register