Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 06-Apr 19,2020 - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 06-Apr 19,2020 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 06-Apr 19,2020

Unread 05-17-2020, 07:03 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 06-Apr 19,2020

Good evening Sisters, Iím noticing that my hormones have been pretty much intact. I havenít had any unusual changes. I havenít been emotionally charged up by anything where I cry often or get upset at the drop of a dime. Should I be concerned? Iíve been pretty stable. What I have noticed is the hot flashes during the day and night sweats. Thereís not too bad where water drenched my hair or clothes just a mild perspiration. I also noticed that I crave certain foods. I am already diabetic so I have to control my food intake and I medication for it. Since becoming diabetic Iíve lost 25lbs and nothing I eat stays. It took a lot of adjusting to get use to my new body frame then I had the hysterectomy, and was determined to recover (heal my body & walk) by any means necessary. I think back to about 20 yrs ago and wish I would have had this procedure then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2020, 05:04 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 06-Apr 19,2020

Sunnyluv718! I'm glad y'all have found your Recovery Thread! I didn't realize it'd been so long since I'd posted myself, and I missed welcoming you earlier.

The tender belly isn't surprising at all, considering what we had done inside. 4-5 sets of ligaments and all those blood vessels were cut to release the organs, with the raw tissues stitched or cauterized. A LOT of inflammation! I had a textbook recovery, but still had typical post-op symptoms like daily swelling through week 8, dull cramp-like aches whenever I did more than my body was ready to handle, and an annoying tender spot between two incisions which I pegged to be nerve damage. Beyond 8 weeks, I'd get the swelling and aches when I intensely engaged my core, and I can name specific occasions! Last time was at 5 months. The tender spot, being nerve damage, took longer to heal and was finally not noticeable after 10-1/2 months.

I wouldn't worry about the surgical menopause symptoms - not everybody has it rough. Genetics, our bodies' hormonal stores, and other sources can mitigate the transition. Even women who kept their ovaries can be subject to hormonal imbalance until their ovaries get back up to speed. I only had two brief instances where crying hit / almost hit - once was from a particularly poignant moment in a TV show, the other time was literally 1-2 seconds while seated at dinner.

The hot flashes / night sweats could be what you deal with. I haven't deal with hot flashes in menopause, but I know the night sweats - still get them if I fail to slap on the estradiol patch. Again, it's not bad, just feels like too many bed covers or not enough circulation.

Appetite being off after surgery, also common. I craved steamed veggies... but shied away from other foods. Casseroles were the worst, and yet that's what often appears at the doorstep from well-meaning neighbors and church family! I've made it a point NOT do make casseroles for women I know who've had hysterectomies!

Unread 05-21-2020, 05:08 AM

I trust that everyone is staying safe and recovering from surgery well. The pandemic has slowed everything down. Still, I wanted to post some resources to meet you where you are:Finally, let's talk sex. Feelings range from to to . We waited two weeks to engage in sex after I was cleared, and even then it ended up being to see if the parts worked. They did, but that was about it - no orgasm, fireworks or rainbows. For 3 days afterwards I dealt with burning, itching and irritation, most likely due to vaginal dryness from a hormone imbalance. Subsequent use of lubrication helped with that that until my ovaries were back up to speed.

Don't underestimate what more foreplay, outer stimulation and setting the atmosphere can do to help with orgasm - things you and hubs can do together. Have realistic expectations that it might not be the way it was for these first few times. Orgasms may feel different or take longer to get there, especially if you're accustomed to uterine spasms, but they can still be achieved. Consider being on top - it gives you more control, you don't have to worry about his weight on you. You have to be emotionally ready too, so it's okay if you don't rush into it. What's most important is talking to your partner and being on the same page. I'll be bold here... you may want to see what satisfies you on your own so you can guide your guy. Some more tips from HysterSisters:Just like many other things about this recovery, even sex takes time to get back on track. Į\_(ツ)_/Į
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2020, 07:01 AM

Thank you @cussette for your post it is very helpful information looking forward. I am 5 weeks and although I donít have my ovaries my nigh sweats arenít that bad and my hot flashes havenít been intolerable. My main concern at this particular time is my belly, Iíve been keeping my surgical site clean and at the top and bottom I feel two knots (start and finish of the sutures, Iím guessing). It healing very well my belly swelling is going down. I wear my binder everyday regardless of what Iím wearing. It actually helps reduce any rubbing of my clothes to irritate my belly. One thing I notice is that I tire so easy I trying to figure out how to rebuild my strength. I started doing pelvic floor exercises and leg lifts because I get winded so easy. My guy and I were playing around (wrestling) and I was worn out afterwards, and one day later my arms and legs are aching. My pre-surgical body could tolerate a play fight but now I feel as if Iím jelly. Well Iím awaiting week 6 and going to my last post-op appointment to get clearance to go back to work full-time and starting to work out again. My diet has been fruits and veggies, chicken or fish. Fifteen years ago I stop eating meat and adopted a pescatarian diet but within the last five year I started eating chicken again for the protein mainly. So Iím going to await and see what my 6 weeks has in store and Iím prayerfully moving towards full independence and advanced recovery. I feel good and motivated to be better.
Unread 05-22-2020, 05:15 AM

Could be knots you're feeling, but it could be the stage of healing. Wounds contract as the tissues bind together, and they're not very flexible. There have been past posts from Sisters who said their scars were puckered or it looked/felt like knots were in there. I had 4 laparoscopic incisions, and every one of mine felt bumpy like there was a knotted string lying underneath.

Oh, gosh... the stamina! Fatigue is one of the last things to leave us and can last through 6 months sometimes longer. Our bodies are using all their energies in healing, and there's little left for extra activities. Early on, we can get worn out from folding a small stack of laundry. As I returned to my regular work schedule, I'd come home and just SIT for 30-45 minutes. Even as I got back to normal, I hit a notable fatigue wall at 10 weeks, and another at 7 months. Obey the impulse to sleep / nap, sleep in, and add activity gradually.
Unread 05-26-2020, 12:38 PM
Smile - Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 06-Apr 19,2020 Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 06-Apr 19,2020

6 weeks tomorrow but had my check up today. All clear with all restrictions lifted. Yay me. This hasn't been as hard as I anticipated it would be. More soreness than pain. I will still take it slow for awhile but so glad that I am healing so well at 6 weeks: Thanks for all the help and info throughout my journey. jump:.
Unread 05-27-2020, 03:53 AM

This has definitely been a journey. Iím 6 weeks post op and thankful that swelly belly is the only issue I have. My incision is healing very well. Over the memorial weekend I didnít eat too much and I actually managed to get a little exercising in besides walking. I usually do leg stretches, squats and pelvic floor exercises. I find it helps me from tiring from my walks. My 6 week check is scheduled next week and Iím starting to write down questions. Iíve been reading about returning to intimacy and boy does this make me nervous. Iíve read so much literature about vaginal cuff sutures and I guess my main question is since this is an interior repair does it take longer than 6 weeks to heal. The interior vaginal area is moist and although it not bothered does it healed as quickly. I guess on my pelvic exam Iíll find out. Right now Iím looking forward to become more independent with lifting items and bending and stretching more. Iíve been wearing this belly binder for the whole surgical duration and Iíve grown tired of it being under my clothes. The velcro attaches to everything my bra and panties. Because of the hot weather in my part of the nation I try to dress in light shirts and my compression leggings which help my leg which I have a blood clot in; which are comfortable for me. My hot flashes arenít too bad during the day. One thing Iím starting to notice are triggers during my day which seem to correlate to my hot flashes and anxiety. Funny story I went to Costco the other day and that air conditioning was awesome but I seen this lady with a jacket and here I am with a sleeveless shirt and leggings and I immediately started feeling heat rise from my neck up to my head. I guess in my mind I associated the jacket with the cold and my body wasnít in that mode and it didnít add up mentally. So much for triggers!!! Well Iím on light duty at work and only work a few hours a day. My insomnia still is very present and Iíve tried lavender on my eye mask, a dehumidifier, chamomile tea, reading and it all puts me to sleep but after a few hours....about 5-6, I am wide awake. Granted I went to bed at 9pm last night which I hardly ever do. Well Iím going to sign off and try to go back to sleep. I pray that everyone is healing well accordingly and getting back to a place of normalcy. My sisters take care.
Unread 05-31-2020, 08:04 AM

I shared some links a few posts back which might help you with making a list of questions.

The healing of the vaginal cuff is something worth asking your doctor about. At 6 weeks, tissues should be healed together, but they're not very flexible or elastic. Some women wait longer to have sex - and some doctors insist on longer waiting times.

I think it's important to have realistic expectations. You're post-op, and it's not likely going to be fantastic because you're still sore and a bit nervous. For us it ended up being to see if the parts worked. They did, but that was about it - no orgasm, fireworks or rainbows. For 3 days afterwards I dealt with burning, itching and irritation, most likely due to vaginal dryness from a hormone imbalance. Subsequent use of lubrication helped with that that until my ovaries were back up to speed.

Don't underestimate what more foreplay, outer stimulation and setting the atmosphere can do to help with orgasm - things you and your partner can do together. Orgasms may feel different or take longer to get there, especially if you're accustomed to uterine spasms, but they can still be achieved. Consider being on top - it gives you more control, you don't have to worry about his weight on you. You have to be emotionally ready too, so it's okay if you don't rush into it. What's most important is talking to your partner and being on the same page. Some more tips from HysterSisters:Just like many other things about this recovery, even sex takes time to get back on track. Į\_(ツ)_/Į
Unread 06-01-2020, 11:32 PM

Good evening, after reading some of the responses for resuming intimacy I think I want to wait. Some of these comments are making me nervous to try. I surely donít want my insides ripped apart and end up in the emergency room. Iíve been off duty for 6 weeks and planning to return to work next week, which will be week 8. Oh my.... there is definitely some decisions to make. Although Iíve had both ovaries removed Iíve been okay, my night sweats are manageable and my day flashes donít come on too strong. My new challenge is GI problems. Iíve been eating fast food (chicken or fish) since I started running to doctors appointments and errands and I know I will have to stop. Iíve learned dairy is not my friend anymore, French fries in moderation only (and by only I mean no more than 5). I normally donít eat French fries but I choose to feed my craving and went overboard and Iím paying for it all night. My stomach has been talking to me and the gas is awful. I am having smooth bmís (thank goodness). The water Iíve been drinking seems to help and Iíve also started drinking seltzer not sure that was a good move but I need to belch. Week 7 seems to be going smooth. All the surgical sealant has has rubbed off and my surgical site is clean and straighten out perfectly. I really and thankful for the healing to my body and cannot complain. I need to make adjustments to my diet and I know I will alleviate my issues. My craziest craving has been sweets and I donít usually eat sweets. Since Iím diabetic I havenít eaten sweets in a long time. Iím praying all of our continued progress. rincess:
Unread 06-08-2020, 11:06 AM

It is absolutely okay to wait on sex! If you're not ready, and your partner is supportive (should be), then keep the communication open.

Fast foods and highly prepared foods are more difficult for the digestive system to break down. Their high glycemic index causes unhealthy spikes in blood sugar levels. They can also cause fluctuations in mood and energy and a build-up of fat. Plus they also lack nutrients needed for a balanced diet. When I step up my workout routine, I often cut back on the refined carbs and go more for protein.
Also, when I'm looking to put on muscle, I'll balance my carbs with my protein. I don't do keto, but I've learned that balance is key.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register