Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 22-Mar 28,2021 - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 22-Mar 28,2021 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 22-Mar 28,2021

Unread 04-03-2021, 07:34 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 22-Mar 28,2021

So sweet. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2021, 07:53 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 22-Mar 28,2021

Yes very supportive thank you! I cannot comment on these changes and feelings related to ovaries removal as I kept mine. I do have a question regarding bowel movements, I only had 2 since my surgery and the second one was 4 days ago, with the help of laxatives. I m starting to have cramp pain but do not if i should take a laxative each time or wait. I don t want or get used to it. I m trying to eat the right things but not helping much.
Unread 04-04-2021, 04:09 PM

sweeties-

Happy Sunday!

About that darn constipation:

I'd say don't do a laxative if you can help it.
Four days is still ok, by day 6 I"d call your doc so that by day 7 you can have a BM.
Have you tried warm prune juice?
That did the trick for me ....

Let us know how you are doing, please, all of you, we want to hear from you and want to help!

Sending you a hug,

xoxo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2021, 05:01 PM

Hi all,
Day 10 post surgery and recovering really well. Walking at the same pace I normally do but just going for much shorter walks. Then lots of couch time. I wasn’t expecting to be able to do that for another fortnight.

I was having BMs so I eased up on the softener. Bad move! Constipated now. Yowsers, the pain! Off to find some prune juice.

My friends and family have all been brilliant. I just hope they keep it up for a few more weeks. The help is making a difference.
Unread 04-04-2021, 05:34 PM

My surgery was the 26th. It started out as a robotically assisted laproscopic surgery but quickly moved to a full abdominal hysterectomy-so many owies!

Thy opened up the uterus on the table to examine it after removal. What a specimen! Two fibroids almost a third the size of the uterus along with many smaller ones, a cyst on my ovary (that was new!), and a polyp they had described as a monster last month when a surgical biopsy was done (they thought they removed it all then) that contained precancerous cells, along with a uterine wall 20 mm thick. What a beaut! I learned a lot and am so thankful it is out.

Second surgery as bladder was nicked.

One ER visit to place larger catheter which I hope will be out Tuesday.

Today is the first day I have hope of feeling normal again. Its been a rough ten days.

I am so glad I am home!
Unread 04-04-2021, 06:21 PM

Oh my god Elisabeth64, that sounds awful! I hope they ll get your catheter out as planned so can move a little bit.

Thanks Mamihem! I did not take the laxative last night and I some BM this morning yippie!! I did drink some prune juice last week but only got one bottle. Once my BM is back on properly I'll take my iron table again. This week I have to get to town to do a few things, it will be a good prep to me returning back to work next Monday as I only stayed around where i live since I'm back home from the surgery.
Unread 04-05-2021, 12:11 AM

Hi...a little late to post. I had a DaVinci hysterectomy and my tubes removed (kept the ovaries) on 3/25.

Arrived at hospital around 7AM for a 10AM surgery. I was a nervous wreck in the pre-op section. The team was kind and the anesthesia doctor kept me out at ease (and knocked me out while keeping me from throwing up in post-op). Released around 6PM with a catheter.

I should have insisted that I stayed overnight because I was in the ER around 11PM that night with horrible pain and bad leg pain. I Finally got some more medicine around 4AM and given the all-clear (thankfully).

Day 1-2 of recovery, I mainly slept and my sweet DH took the most gentle and kind care of me. This was in the midst of the start of spring break for the kids too. I got myself a good one in my spouse.

Day 3-Cath starts giving me problems so I have my 2nd on-call call with the doctor's office (first was night of surgery) but got free of that which did wonders to me feeling more like myself.

Day 4-5-6 Devoted to trying to make the great BM. (That's a story in itself.)

Day 7-Walked up and down my stairs in my house twice--HUGE DAY for me.

Day 8 so Friday 4/3--I hadn't slept much for nearly two days mainly with worry. I finally go to sleep in the pre-dawn hours and am awaken by the doctor's office early morning.

Good thing I did the surgery because she told me I had the big C--CANCER. That shook me but the key word is HAD. Preliminary was fine and then I was one of the 30% or so that came back with having what I dreaded the most. They said they got it all.

My official post-op appointment isn't for awhile. I'm kicking myself for not getting the ovaries out when the doctor was there for one less worry (more to come I guess on that front).

I'm thankful because I was so nervous and worried about all the things that I needed to do, that I really didn't have time for an operation, etc. that I should delay the surgery or put it off indefinitely.

Having the surgery quite literally saved my life.

I am grateful and starting to feel like myself. I am clearly shook and am taking it day by day. I'm attempting to telework a little this week to feel more like normal and frankly get my mind off things.

The holidays and spring break were not what I imagined for my family but I guess my actions will help me stay around longer for them. They will survive with a scaling down of everything and a less than fun spring break.

I want to get stronger every day to give them the biggest hugs ever and have lots of laughter that doesn't hurt.

Hopefully everyone else is seeing progress in their post-op recovery adventures. Every day we will get a little bit better, right?

Sending virtual hugs to you all.
Unread 04-05-2021, 05:47 AM

Hi everyone! I had my diVinci robotically assisted total hysterectomy on 3/25, ovaries kept; Post op day 11.
I have been reluctant posting about my experience, because it seems I have had a much easier experience than most. Prior to surgery, I was worried about my surgery and recovery due to my weight and my Rheumatoid Arthritis. I had to go off my RA meds 2 weeks prior to surgery, and hopefully will be cleared to resume it at my first post-op check-up on Thursday. I am feeling incredibly good.
I was wheeled into surgery at 2:30pm and was home by 8:30pm. I slept in a recliner for 2 nights due to my bed being too high.
Medication: I programmed "Alexa" to remind me when to take my Motrin 600mg. and Tylenol. I didn't need the Norco that was also prescribed. I discontinued the Tylenol on the 3rd day.
Surgery findings: I have 3 small incisions and a larger one above my umbilicus. My uterus was too large to be removed through my vagina. It was cut into 7 pieces and removed through the larger incision. The 3 small incisions were glued shut, and the larger one was glued and sutured. There was lots of brusing which is now gone. My pathology report came back 1 week post-op, and I was able to read it before my doctor called. Gotta love the patient portal for that. No cancer, thank God. I had a large fibroid, some polyps, and a cyst on one of my tubes. All in all, it didn't weight much, but I sure can feel a difference. My pants are so much more comfortable now.

Gas pain: After I came home, my husband helped me with my abdominal binder. I recall after my 3rd c-section, I was given a binder, and had no gas pains, so after reading advise in this group, I purchased another. I was still expecting the pain in my shoulder, as many have reported after robotic surgery. I had no gas pain at all. Maybe my excess fat (that I feared was going to complicate things) absorbed it? I don't know: just grateful.
Activity: The night I came home, I started walking laps around the dining room (my dogs followed, lol) On day 2 post-op, I felt well enough to resume light house cleaning, laundry and cooking. Day 4- my husband took me for a drive to the bay (Michigan). That was tiring, but was good to get out. Day 7: I drove myself to the grocery store. I got wore out before I made it through the entire store, so came home and had a nap. I have to remind myself of my limitations, because I feel so good.
Bodily functions: I was allowed to come home before I was able to urinate (so surprised) with instructions that if I was unable to go before midnight, I should go to the ER. I remembered that after my c-sections, the nurses gave me a peri- bottle, saying it would stimulate urination. Well, it did again. I started on a stool softener on day 1 and had an easy bowel movement on day 2. I will continue to take SS until I am confident that my internal incision is well healed.
Work: I work for a funeral home, mostly in the office, but sometimes vacuum large rooms and hallways- some heavy lifting at times. This job is more mentally and emotionally stressful than physical. I will find out when I can return to work on 4/8.
I enjoy reading about everyone's recoveries, and am amazed at how different we all are. I'm grateful that my journey has been easy, so far. I feel guilty sometimes after reading some of your challenges. This was the reason I was so reluctant to post; I didn't want to diminish other sisters' struggles. But, to someone still contemplating an upcoming surgery, I wanted to show a good experience.
Best wishes to all, for eased pain and healing.
Hugs!
Unread 04-05-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympe View Post
Yes very supportive thank you! I cannot comment on these changes and feelings related to ovaries removal as I kept mine. I do have a question regarding bowel movements, I only had 2 since my surgery and the second one was 4 days ago, with the help of laxatives. I m starting to have cramp pain but do not if i should take a laxative each time or wait. I don t want or get used to it. I m trying to eat the right things but not helping much.
I have had trouble with constipation my whole life. This may have been the part of post op that I dreaded the most. A couple of things that really helped me aside from the stool softener that the doc recommended.......I drank a glass of prune juice and hot water (boiling is best. Half juice/half water) in the morning. It was actually not bad tasting. And hot tea with a teaspoon of molasses in the afternoon. And I ate an apple and an orange after dinner. On day 4 I had the best bowel movement. I came out of the bathroom singing!
I hope that helps!
Unread 04-05-2021, 07:25 PM

and a warm to the new sisters who joined this thread today-

Sweeties, we want to hear from ALL of you, whether you have a good or a challenging day.
When you have a challenging day, we want to lift you up,
when you have a good day, we want to celebrate with you (and perhaps learn from you).
SO, DO SHARE!

Sweeties,
I am so sorry for every sister who has to go back to the ER, or even have a 2nd surgery.
I was told once that if you have a follow up surgery, then your recovery starts only at the 2nd surgery, this is how much it throws your recovery back.
So, while you are here on this thread (and we are happy that you are), please know that you are in earlier stages of your recovery.

I remember going back to the ER after a night of cramps and vomiting. Turns out I had caught some bug at the hospital where I had my surgery. Wore me out!! (and vomiting with a large abdominal scar was just plain awful). But this was of course nothing compared to undergoing a 2nd surgery!!

Please, all of you sweeties, monitor your symptoms. Get to your doc early enough. Call your nurses, call your docs.
That's what they are there for.
Make sure that you keep a symptom journal where you jot down your symptoms and when you take what meds. I remember being so fuzzy brained that writing down when I took what kept me sane (and healthy). Any little pad and pencil will do. Or note it down on your phone if you prefer.
This way you can easily share this important info with your doc should you need to go in for a visit.

Cancer fears are a hard burden to carry on top of this already difficult recovery.
I am keeping my fingers crossed for all of you that the pathology will come back better than you thought. Should you want to check out a forum where sisters who are facing similar challenges are posting, please follow these steps:
Go to the home screen, on to very top click on Forums, click on More, scroll down to Hysterectomy Special Concerns. It's there that you will find the cancer forum.

My heart goes out to all of you who are suffering tonight. Together we WILL get through this.

sending you a hug,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register