Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 29-Apr 04,2021 - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 29-Apr 04,2021 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 29-Apr 04,2021

Unread 04-20-2021, 08:39 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 29-Apr 04,2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by nldceltic View Post
I had been wondering this also.

From the interwebs: “ Swelling is normal after surgery. As the body begins healing itself, thousands of cells are sent to the affected body part. This is part of the first stage of healing called the inflammatory phase. The influx of all of these cells to the area causes more swelling.”
I've read similar, and the prostaglandins trigger swelling of surrounding tissues too.

Yay for turning this into a definite learning experience, lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2021, 09:14 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 29-Apr 04,2021

Surgery was March 31st. TLH kept ovaries. Recovery was ok. First night home was rough bc I threw up after taking ibuprofen. That dd not help the stomach or the stomach muscles.
UTI from cath, UTI meds gave me yeast infection = more meds. 2.5 weeks tomorrow and finishing up bacterial infection meds. Other than that, I was walking around the next day and increased activity in small increments daily. Stayed upbeat and very positive. One week after operation my Dr called to let me know my biopsy had stage1 uterine cancer found in a polyp and back wall. Now I'm on hold.waiting to hear if my ovaries need to come out. So thankful this is behind me and obviously it was the right decision.
Unread 04-20-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper73 View Post
Surgery was March 31st. TLH kept ovaries. Recovery was ok. First night home was rough bc I threw up after taking ibuprofen. That dd not help the stomach or the stomach muscles.
UTI from cath, UTI meds gave me yeast infection = more meds. 2.5 weeks tomorrow and finishing up bacterial infection meds. Other than that, I was walking around the next day and increased activity in small increments daily. Stayed upbeat and very positive. One week after operation my Dr called to let me know my biopsy had stage1 uterine cancer found in a polyp and back wall. Now I'm on hold.waiting to hear if my ovaries need to come out. So thankful this is behind me and obviously it was the right decision.
I'm so so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, Gatekeeper73! Glad that you have your surgery behind you and hopeful that you do not need further surgery! I got a UTI from the cath as well... ugh... hoping to not follow your path with the yeast infection! ACK!! Hoping you feel better SOON!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2021, 12:45 PM

Had TAH 3/31 and was able to keep my ovaries. I had a 2 night hospital stay and things went smoothly so I was discharged home with Tramadol and Ibuprofen. I rested for the first 3 days I was home and was feeling amazing so I started doing chores, cooking and increased my walking but started getting severe pain, Dr said is was doing WAY too much and put me on bed rest, luckily that ended last week. I am back to light chores and walking but taking things slow, I'm more aware of the pulling and aching in my pelvic region and adjust my activities when I feel discomfort. I wore the belly binder for 2 weeks and it was very helpful preventing the tug of weight from my abdomen but then I noticed that my swelly belly seemed to do better without it so I haven't been wearing that for a little over a week now. My biggest problem is bladder, I used to be able to hold it for awhile to finish whatever I'm doing but I can't do that anymore, when my bladder says it's full I have to go right then or I start dribbling. I feel a little poking against my bladder as well, feels like I have a sticker there, I assume this is a stitch that's just being irritating and will go away soon . I have my follow-up with my GYN next week and hopefully all is well. All in all this has been much better than I expected.
Unread 04-20-2021, 08:38 PM

nldceltic, SisterTerra77, and Gatekeeper73 … we are excited to have you with us. You’re not too late … please jump right in and get to know these wonderful ladies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nldceltic View Post
This is my first post. I started as a lapro, but my canteloupe sized fibroid caused doc to switch to abdominal hysterectomy. Surgery date was 4/1/21 taking uterus, cervix and tubes. Ovaries were left. Hospital stay was two days, self-weened off morphine pump quickly, bladder and bowl movements before leaving hospital. Everything seemed really good. I have a 6 yo and I have been assisting him with online kinder, throwing together a few pre-prepped meals, and generally resting. I spend 90% of my day in bed. Some days I’m more tired and sore than others. But, generally, I was feeling pretty good until yesterday when my bestie took me to the store to pick up a few items and get out of the house. After about 45 minutes of shopping/browsing (with my binder on!) I started to feel very painful pulling about 1-2 inches inside my right hip. Are there generally stitches/sutures tied to this area? It felt like something was tearing through muscle. I think that I “over did it” shopping and walking and have been in bed and resting all day and back to 3 hydrocodones (I had been on one a day for the past 3 days). It’s better today and the pain is fading. Is this what overdoing it feels like (from simply WALKING?!?) and can anybody tell me if that is an area where I may have pulled on sutures? Thanks for any feed back.

Best wishes and speedy recovery to all the ladies on this forum. And thanks to the Big Hystersisters who check in and give feedback. You are all appreciated.
nldceltic: How’s are you feeling today dear… I am sorry for the pain you ended up with after shopping. When you feel better it is so easy to do too much and end up back in bed. It sounds like 45 minutes was a bit too long for your first outing. Increasing what you do a bit at a time will help strengthen your body.

Gravity is not your friend right now … the natural pull can cause pain and pressure when you are up too long. If you continue to have the pain, please don’t hesitate to give your doctor a call … he/she is there to help you with your recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterTerra77 View Post
Hi Sisters, I am 46, my surgery was on March 31st. I had my uterus and cervix and tubes removed. This is my first post

I have not felt well enough to post earlier however, this past weekend I felt a little like myself again and was a bit more active. I enjoyed spending some time outside in the warm sun with my husband. We even gathered some cottonwood buds from some trees he fell on our property so I can make pain salve and soap with them when I feel up to it. The minimal activity must have taken its toll though because I slept most of the day today, I’m absolutely exhausted. I have a hard time knowing where the balance is, it is just so easy to overdo it. My new rule is up for no more than two hours, after that it’s back to bed for a rest! I have sharp pain when standing or sitting for to long at the laparoscopic sites and burning in my bladder with to much activity. I have issues with constipation and nausea still but I’m sure this will pass with time. My must haves are my pregnancy/ body pillow, heating pad (helps me relax and diminishes pain), baths(check with your surgeon), smooth-move tea/stool softeners and my water bottle. I had no idea how hard post surgery would be and I am so grateful to have all of you

I read your messages for the first two weeks post op and would cry because I felt for you and I wasn’t alone in my experience. This is tougher than I ever imagined and I can see that it is beyond anything I am experiencing for many of you but I know that our bodies are made to heal and heal we will! I have so much love for all of you!
SisterTerra77: I’m so glad you have felt well enough to post dear … it helps to recover with ladies who are right where you are in recovery and who understand. We talk about almost everything … where else can you go and talk about constipation.

This recovery is different from others I have had. I’m a pusher but you just can’t push with this recovery … it takes lots of rest. I know it is hard to know when you are doing too much. Listen closely to your body and rest when it tells you to. Making yourself rest, even when you don’t think you need to, is important.

Quote:
Gatekeeper73: I am so very sorry for your path report dear … praying it was all contained. I know being on hold is hard … you are in my thoughts and prayers dear. Please keep us posted on how you are dear.

love to each of you. Remember you are not alone.
Unread 04-20-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I will be praying that the cancer was contained and you won't need more surgeries. I can't imagine how scary that is.
Unread 04-20-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrinaburbank1 View Post
A question about the swelly belly. What exactly is swollen? Since the uterus was removed I figured there was just an empty hole that would be filled with the remaining organs, so I have no idea where the swelling is coming from...
Katrina. nldceltic has given you a good explanation of the way our body works after it has been through trauma. Swelly Belly may stay for a bit but it will get better, honest.

Your organs will settle into the space left by your hysterectomy. It may create a crappy feeling but it won’t last long.

on your continued recovery dear.
Unread 04-20-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlscruggsma View Post
Had TAH 3/31 and was able to keep my ovaries. I had a 2 night hospital stay and things went smoothly so I was discharged home with Tramadol and Ibuprofen. I rested for the first 3 days I was home and was feeling amazing so I started doing chores, cooking and increased my walking but started getting severe pain, Dr said is was doing WAY too much and put me on bed rest, luckily that ended last week. I am back to light chores and walking but taking things slow, I'm more aware of the pulling and aching in my pelvic region and adjust my activities when I feel discomfort. I wore the belly binder for 2 weeks and it was very helpful preventing the tug of weight from my abdomen but then I noticed that my swelly belly seemed to do better without it so I haven't been wearing that for a little over a week now. My biggest problem is bladder, I used to be able to hold it for awhile to finish whatever I'm doing but I can't do that anymore, when my bladder says it's full I have to go right then or I start dribbling. I feel a little poking against my bladder as well, feels like I have a sticker there, I assume this is a stitch that's just being irritating and will go away soon . I have my follow-up with my GYN next week and hopefully all is well. All in all this has been much better than I expected.
hlscruggsma … it is good to see you again. I know this has been a hard couple of weeks … I’m so glad you’re able to be up again. on taking things slow dear.

Your bladder went through a lot of trauma during surgery and can cause urgency issues … I dealt with that too. My URO/GYN recommended Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy. I went through several months of PFPT and it was very helpful. It would be worth discussing with your doctor.

Remember you are not alone dear.

Unread 04-20-2021, 09:04 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 29-Apr 04,2021

Thank you, I will ask about that at next week's appointment! This group has been so very helpful and I have recommended it to many friends.
Unread 04-20-2021, 10:35 PM

This not being able to tell the status of my bladder is getting old pretty fast. Surgeon said, at check up, it could be up to six weeks before I get a good idea on the new "normal" for bladder control. Le sigh

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register