Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 12-Apr 18,2021 - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 12-Apr 18,2021 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 12-Apr 18,2021

Unread 04-18-2021, 03:51 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 12-Apr 18,2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijen3 View Post
What do you mean the cuff? What is that? I use a squatty potty, been on prescription stool softeners (be sure to take with a lot of water!) And did miralax 2 days in a row and still had to push quite a bit. My doctor didn't warn about straining too much... it's that bad? I just tried to listen to my body and not go to hard.
Did you have everything removed? My understanding when they take out everything the top part of your vagina is closed with a vaginal cuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltaylor3 View Post
Did you have everything removed? My understanding when they take out everything the top part of your vagina is closed with a vaginal cuff.
I did, one of the admins sent a link explaining what the cuff was, I understand now.

I only experienced vaginal bleeding the first 2 days and it was very minimal.

Was very excited to clear out my pads, tampons, and throw away my menstrual cup today!
Unread 04-18-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijen3 View Post
I did, one of the admins sent a link explaining what the cuff was, I understand now.

I only experienced vaginal bleeding the first 2 days and it was very minimal.

Was very excited to clear out my pads, tampons, and throw away my menstrual cup today!
That's good to hear. I'll be the same way. I overthink everything so this vaginal cuff thing is stressing me to the point I don't want to move at all but I know I have to. I have my 1st post op appointment tomorrow so maybe DR can put my mind at ease. We're supposed to discuss HRT as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2021, 08:27 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 12-Apr 18,2021

Please try not to stress over the vaginal cuff

PREVENTION of issues:

“The best way to prevent vaginal cuff dehiscence is to follow your doctor's instructions after your hysterectomy. In addition, avoid activities such as lifting, straining, intercourse, and bathing until you are released by your physician. You should also share with your surgeon any health issues you may have which prevent healing in a timely manner.”

Just relax but exercise common sense and caution. When in doubt about attempting something potentially risky - (lifting heavy things, shopping, housework, mischief, etc) just don’t do it

For clarification, everyone has a vaginal vault, but not everyone has a vaginal cuff.

The vaginal vault is the internal end of the vagina. If the complete uterus with cervix is removed, a vaginal cuff is generally created here to close the vagina from the rest of the pelvic region. If the cervix is left, it can be stitched closed, left to heal closed, cauterized, etc., again creating a seal between the vagina and the pelvic region.

Yes, different procedures may be done in different countries, so whether or not a cuff is created may depend on which country you live in.
Unread 04-19-2021, 10:06 AM

Also, in the next few days you might notice that you have some bruising. I had I wide strip of bruising from above my belly button to my pelvic bone! I swear by Arnica cream (natural product make from a plant that helps with bruising, pain, swelling and stiffness). My knowledgeable Hyster buddy told me about this when I broke my ankle.
You can get it online or in my state at any pharmacy near the other pain reliever creams/gels.

**Note: you Can’t rub over incisions while they are healing but it was okay to rub in surrounding area. It really helps take bruising away in days. First, PLEASE check with your doctor if you want to try using it.
Unread 04-19-2021, 10:08 AM

First Week Tips Following Surgery

Weeks 1 and 2 Video Recovery Checkpoints

We all heal different so take these as a general guide
Please do not get discouraged as there will be good days and bad days without warning.

And your poor hormones are still adjusting as well. So emotions can run high.

****** please do not judge your own healing progress/releases against how others are healing . I know it is hard, but remember you all could have different types of surgeries, the skill
If your surgeon, extent of what was done, how your body heals, previous conditions, pre-surgery health, etc.
Unread 04-19-2021, 11:24 AM

My surgery was Friday. I was a nervous wreck going in 1) my last surgery in 2007 for my gall bladder I had major complications with bleeding and had extended hospital stays 2) I was told to prepare for a cancer diagnosis (ovarian).

I had a great team of doctors with me that day (OBGYN, oncologist and a urologist) all had my laughing and in good spirits pre-op.

Surgery took about 3.5 hours. 3 hours in recovery. Don’t remember any of that. My mom was in my regular room when I arrived at 7:15pm (12pm start of surgery). She was worried because I wasn’t talking to her but I could only hear here. I was in a lot of pain (mainly the catheter).

BUT I heard her loud and clear when she told me — Jen — the doctors said it was the best case scenario - it was all benign!

That night I got sleep on and off and pain meds. Wasn’t all that bad! Ran a slight fever but the room was 75 degrees!

Catheter was removed at 6am. I took a walk around the wing and used the bathroom. Ahhh. It was all uphill from there.

They released me home at 5:30pm.

I have only needed Ibp800 for pain at night for comfort to sleep.

I do have that swelly belly. Just ordered a abdominal binder and hope it works.

Gum chewing worked amazing - recommended here. Also been eating tons of pineapple, yogurt and soft foods!

Just in cloud 9 cause not cancer so all is right with the world - not really caring that I’ve been totally gutted at 43!

- Jen
Unread 04-19-2021, 11:26 AM

Welcome Kaylah

Happy to hear such great news! Keep on updating.

Take care
Unread 04-19-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermccluskey View Post
I did/do. The surgeon told me this would be normal and probably accompanied with a sore throat and it is because of the breathing tube. I spasm coughed yesterday and got some junk out. It scared me so bad. Woke up with a sore throat the morning but it’s already gone and the need to cough is less to. Haha, to try and clear it I sound like a librarian clearing her throat passive aggressively.
Omg the sore throat is what’s driving me crazier!!! I have severe asthma and that lump in my throat and the phlegm built up from that tube have been more a struggle that all the lower stuff.
Unread 04-19-2021, 06:49 PM

After years of horrible periods (painful, heavy, long) and being on pain meds to manage it each month, I finally got my uterus out (along with cervix and tubes, kept ovaries) and was found to have severe endometriosis in all the areas that had felt like they were being stabbed and sliced up each period (rectum, left and right abdominal wall, etc.), as well as adenomyosis. Validation feels so good! Recovery does not. Surgery was Friday and it’s now Monday. Trying to take less oxycodone and I cannot get comfortable. I was taking one every 4 hrs, and now taking one every 8, plus continuing max amount of ibuprofen and Tylenol around the clock. Horrible cramping pain in lower abdomen and back. Feels worse than yesterday. Is that normal? More difficulty falling asleep and when I do, I wake up from dreams filled with pain. And I just can’t lie down or sit without dwelling on the pain. Keep hearing it gets better after day 3. Crossing my fingers it does! If it gets worse I’ll call the dr, but feel like I’m just being a big baby. So glad I found this site! It’s AMAZING. <3

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register