The pill and mood? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The pill and mood? The pill and mood?

Unread 05-30-2021, 07:03 AM
The pill and mood?

Does or did anyone else have wicked moodswings on b/c pills?

The only ones that ive tried that dont effect my mood are low dose. But the low dose dont control my periods.

High dose, i get upset and overreact for nothing. Like, id Cry cuz theres a hairball in the bathtub after a shower. I remember before the pills, being surprised that i can shed so bad, but i cant explain why id get so emotional about it now. It doesnt make sense. Sure i have stress and i do have issues, but ive been blowing things waaaaaay out of proportion, but only when on a high dose birth control pills..

Any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2021, 08:30 AM
Re: The pill and mood?

Yes! I never had a problem until this past year when my periods became out of control. On the pill I started to experience severe anxiety and panic attacks which I never had before in my life. I could always tolerate them but now my body won’t have it. On the higher dose I also started to develop almost early pregnancy symptoms like nausea and gi issues. Got off the birth control and those feelings were gone. So I totally understand how you are feeling.
Unread 05-30-2021, 08:39 AM

And one more thing.. in the past year I’ve tried numerous birth control pills, Nexplanon and Mirena IUD. The only thing I could tolerate was the Mirena IUD. It was great! Unfortunately I had two and they both expelled- which is very unusual. So now I wait for my surgery. Definitely speak with your doctor and let them know if you feel that you can’t tolerate your current med. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2021, 09:10 AM
The pill and mood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkris View Post
Yes! I never had a problem until this past year when my periods became out of control. On the pill I started to experience severe anxiety and panic attacks which I never had before in my life. I could always tolerate them but now my body won’t have it. On the higher dose I also started to develop almost early pregnancy symptoms like nausea and gi issues. Got off the birth control and those feelings were gone. So I totally understand how you are feeling.
Okay! So now i feel a little less crazy!

Ive tried so many of the brands and dosages.. i dont want kids anyways, so im seriously thinking about asking to have my tubes tied. Only thing is is that it doesnt control my periods, but im so sick of feeling like this all the time, it may well be worth it to me to risk the blood loss. Im going to call monday and see what eta is for gyn. Appointment. I dont think i can keep dealing with this on my own for much longer.
Unread 05-30-2021, 09:32 AM
The pill and mood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkris View Post
And one more thing.. in the past year I’ve tried numerous birth control pills, Nexplanon and Mirena IUD. The only thing I could tolerate was the Mirena IUD. It was great! Unfortunately I had two and they both expelled- which is very unusual. So now I wait for my surgery. Definitely speak with your doctor and let them know if you feel that you can’t tolerate your current med. Good luck!
Ive never had iud, and i dont want one, even to try controlling my bleed/cramps/mood/etc. And again, like i said a second ago, Id rather get my tubes tide and risk the blood loss.Im sick of bandaid solutions. Im very much looking forward to hearing what my bloodwork (june 15th) and ultrasound (july 7th) shows.

Yes, i AM in the middle of another moodswing. Today has been particularly horrid, and on top of week three of bleeding too. Im so tired of this.
Unread 06-01-2021, 05:07 PM

Oh my goodness….combination b/c options are pure torture for me! It’s like I’m not myself at all! The last time I tried it was the Nuva ring and within 10 days I was all tears and could.not.stop. I felt insane! I ended up taking it out after those 10 days and said I would rather bleed to death then live like that! LOL I was also using it to control periods. What DID work with NO side effects was progesterone only (and provera). If you are interested in an option that isn’t permanent I would ask about that. I wasn’t taking it to prevent pregnancy, though, because my husband had a vasectomy. It was specifically to control periods. I know Depo Provera is a b/c shot that you get once every 3 months and is progesterone only so that could be an option for you. I’m so sorry you are feeling so unlike yourself. I know how hard that is. I hope you find something that works for you soon!
Unread 06-01-2021, 05:32 PM
The pill and mood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBecky View Post
Oh my goodness….combination b/c options are pure torture for me! It’s like I’m not myself at all! The last time I tried it was the Nuva ring and within 10 days I was all tears and could.not.stop. I felt insane! I ended up taking it out after those 10 days and said I would rather bleed to death then live like that! LOL I was also using it to control periods. What DID work with NO side effects was progesterone only (and provera). If you are interested in an option that isn’t permanent I would ask about that. I wasn’t taking it to prevent pregnancy, though, because my husband had a vasectomy. It was specifically to control periods. I know Depo Provera is a b/c shot that you get once every 3 months and is progesterone only so that could be an option for you. I’m so sorry you are feeling so unlike yourself. I know how hard that is. I hope you find something that works for you soon!
Im on the pill to control my cramps and how long and the amount that i bleed. (Supposedly. Because my experience says it doesnt work for me.) BUT i also never want children. Ive known for 21 years that i never wanted them(im 33 this month.) So i absolutely do want something permanent. But getting tubes tied will not control my periods, which are 14+ days. (Im on day 13 right now, in pain, and more than a little cantankerous.) it would be my preference to have tubes removed, and the pain and bleeding dealt with in one surgery, rather than needing to have multiple, provided i actually do need a surgery for the periods. (Just gota be patient for a little longer i guess to find out.)

But also as i am now id get my tubes tied if i can actually ever get in to see a gyn to ask for it, because i DO want permanent b/c. Absolutely.

Ive got a phone appointment with my doctor tomorrow, to ask about tubal/iron pills, and maybe ask for more info iud(im sick of hormone-anything and how they make me feel, and i dont want iud, not permanent enough. But anything to get off the pill right now. I just cant do them and the side effects anymore.)
Unread 06-01-2021, 06:02 PM
The pill and mood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteLittleFrog View Post
Okay! So now i feel a little less crazy!

Ive tried so many of the brands and dosages.. i dont want kids anyways, so im seriously thinking about asking to have my tubes tied. Only thing is is that it doesnt control my periods, but im so sick of feeling like this all the time, it may well be worth it to me to risk the blood loss. Im going to call monday and see what eta is for gyn. Appointment. I dont think i can keep dealing with this on my own for much longer.
Well. I called about the gyn. visit, and they said they didnt know who told me a 12 month wait (my family doctor at the time did, actually. I have a new family doctor now.) but that i could expect at least two more years because im not urgent. They did tell me that if anything changed or i had new tests done, to have the new information forwarded to them because it may change where i am in the waitlist, so at least there is that, i guess. I mean, i do get it. Ladies with painful fibroids and cancers.. for sure they get priority! but that doesnt mean my issues are invalid, or that im not genuinely hurting too. im simply undiagnosed. Sure wish ibuprofin or mefenamic acid actually helped dull the cramps a little. They dont do a darned thing. Neither does exercise(i have a physical job), or heat(i love hot water), rest (my pill messes with that too, i think. Ive been fatigued forever it feels like. Also i need to work.), stress is minimal in my life so mediation and the like doesnt help with anything except relaxing.. i just dont know what else I can do, except get off the meds and "deal with it" until i can convince someone. anyone else who can help me, that i feel this, that its real. That im real. Maybe im asking too much.
Unread 06-01-2021, 08:09 PM
The pill and mood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteLittleFrog View Post
Im on the pill to control my cramps and how long and the amount that i bleed. (Supposedly. Because my experience says it doesnt work for me.) BUT i also never want children. Ive known for 21 years that i never wanted them(im 33 this month.) So i absolutely do want something permanent. But getting tubes tied will not control my periods, which are 14+ days. (Im on day 13 right now, in pain, and more than a little cantankerous.) it would be my preference to have tubes removed, and the pain and bleeding dealt with in one surgery, rather than needing to have multiple, provided i actually do need a surgery for the periods. (Just gota be patient for a little longer i guess to find out.)

But also as i am now id get my tubes tied if i can actually ever get in to see a gyn to ask for it, because i DO want permanent b/c. Absolutely.

Ive got a phone appointment with my doctor tomorrow, to ask about tubal/iron pills, and maybe ask for more info iud(im sick of hormone-anything and how they make me feel, and i dont want iud, not permanent enough. But anything to get off the pill right now. I just cant do them and the side effects anymore.)
In the meantime, while you wait to see a GYN, I suggest talking to your family Dr about the Depo Provera shot. It’s b/c and also often stops periods altogether! IUDs are actually very reliable as b/c but the one without hormones tends to make periods worse. The one with hormones actually really agreed with me, even though pills don’t, and tremendously helped my periods! As far as getting someone to listen/believe you, I have experienced that, too. I told my general Dr about my heavy periods and she said they don’t treat them unless they are symptomatic like being anemic. She did blood work and it showed that I WAS anemic and her nurse just called and said I needed to take iron. No care at all about my quality of life or the fact that it was effecting my health! Before my hysterectomy my periods had gotten so bad that I bled extremely heavily and continuously until I took hormones to make it stop. Then, as soon as I stopped the hormones, the bleeding returned. I was taking mega doses of iron every day and still losing ground. I was severely anemic before we finally did the hysterectomy. And that surgery was delayed by Covid because I STILL wasn’t considered a priority. Women are often overlooked, ignored, and mistreated in medicine. You have to keep speaking up for yourself as much as you can and as loudly as you can.
Unread 06-02-2021, 03:09 PM
The pill and mood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBecky View Post
In the meantime, while you wait to see a GYN, I suggest talking to your family Dr about the Depo Provera shot. It’s b/c and also often stops periods altogether! IUDs are actually very reliable as b/c but the one without hormones tends to make periods worse. The one with hormones actually really agreed with me, even though pills don’t, and tremendously helped my periods! As far as getting someone to listen/believe you, I have experienced that, too. I told my general Dr about my heavy periods and she said they don’t treat them unless they are symptomatic like being anemic. She did blood work and it showed that I WAS anemic and her nurse just called and said I needed to take iron. No care at all about my quality of life or the fact that it was effecting my health! Before my hysterectomy my periods had gotten so bad that I bled extremely heavily and continuously until I took hormones to make it stop. Then, as soon as I stopped the hormones, the bleeding returned. I was taking mega doses of iron every day and still losing ground. I was severely anemic before we finally did the hysterectomy. And that surgery was delayed by Covid because I STILL wasn’t considered a priority. Women are often overlooked, ignored, and mistreated in medicine. You have to keep speaking up for yourself as much as you can and as loudly as you can.
I wont be getting more needles than im required to. Hate them. I did get a referral for iud though, so we will see about how that goes.

If the iud is not doing what its supposed to do either, ill be done with hormone treatment. I cant keep living like how im feeling now.

Ive put up with it for years, but im tired of hurting and being ignored. Im not shy about speaking up. I Just need to find someone that actually listens, and is willing to get on the same page as i am.

Edit* im not comfortable without my period unless im literally incapable of having one, *because* i do not want children. Its kind of a security blanket(lol) to have a period, because it means im NOT pregnant. I dont want kids. Ever.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register