Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 31-Jun 06,2021 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 31-Jun 06,2021 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 31-Jun 06,2021

Unread 06-06-2021, 07:34 AM
Cool - Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 31-Jun 06,2021 Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 31-Jun 06,2021

Hello all.
I have suffered from Adenomyosis and suspected endometriosis for years now. At first it was manageable. Then the pain started to disrupt my life. I experienced flooding, enormous clots, migraines and severe bloating and urinating constantly. Soon, I also had mid cycle pain that would strike suddenly and sharply. I was miserable and have always had short cycles so this was happening every 21-24 days.
As a junior high ESL teacher, I didn’t appreciate constantly missing work or having to change pants all the time!
Some background: my uterus has been retroverted and flexed backwards since like 1995 after I had fraternal twins at age 18. Two more children followed as I got older & my 13 year old was born at home in 2007. I had always has painful cramps, but as I never had an epidural, played roller derby and have several tattoos- I considered myself as someone with a pretty high pain threshold.
Yet, when I sought help for the debilitating pain from my Gyno, she dismissed it as perimenopause and offered me the pill. A trip to the ER for flooding just ended w her lecturing me. At a halloween party in 2019 I was doubled over in pain in a corner when I was approached my another guest dressed as a witch. She struck up a conversation with me and soon was recommending a different ObGyn. I took her advice and then my life changed. This man with a wife and 4 daughters was so compassionate, such a great listener. He got to work on ultrasounds & endometrial biopsies- we had a plan in place.
Soon, it hurt to ovulate. In March of 2021, I had a cyst rupture. I was exhausted from pain ( compounded by a year long journey of illness that ended with me taking FMLA during part of the pandemic and a diagnosis of mono/Epstein Barr virus)
June 2nd, I underwent a LPH . I didn’t handle the anasthesia very well but I am so grateful to be alive, well & supported here and at home. Each day has shown a bit of progress. I was relieved to be validated with the surgical diagnosis of endometriosis, fallopian tubes covered in cysts & Adenomyosis. There was a large right ovarian cyst that had to be drained.
I look forward to enjoying roller skating, focusing on my 13 year old as she navigates the world of menstruation, cooking and walking my dog. I look forward to the next school year and not having my reproductive organs dictate my day and ruin countless events for me. I am frustrated by my somewhat slow progress, as compared to a coworker who had a LAVH and was up at the farmers market on week 1?! I am on day 5 and still making house laps as “exercise “ and walking w a cane. I cannot tell you how helpful Hyster Sisters has been for me. I have been in a daze waiting for that wretched anasthesia to leave my system, so Ive mostly been reading other’s posts and learning so much!!

Virtual hugs to you all!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2021, 04:23 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 31-Jun 06,2021

I had my hysteroctomy at June 2nd. Everything went smooth execpt a cyst (6cm radius) was found in my left ovary. I couldn't leave hospital for two days since I could not urinate properly. Got home on 5th of June and felt ok for two days.

I started having flu symptoms yesterday and have been exhausted today: first 5 hours after waking up I just lay in bed. I suppose the reason for this fatigue might be the fact that I walked quite a bit yesterday not that the flu helped. I've lost my voice and keep coughing, which does not feel very nice in the laparoxcopy wounds (4 of them).

I have no regrets whatsoever, hysteroctomy was the final option I postponed as long as possible. Haveing period twice a month despite thermoablation was just too much.

I speak English as a second language and struggle to find the right words and expressions. I am European and live in my home country. Hope the clumsy writhing doesn't make reading too difficult.
Unread 06-07-2021, 11:27 AM

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy on Fri., Jun. 4th. My uterus, cervix, and fallopian tubes were removed. Leading up to the surgery, I had had heavy periods for about 12 years. Initially they only occurred maybe every 3rd cycle, but after 2-3 years every cycle was heavy, and my cycles were only 21 days (not 28). In the past 5 years, I had two procedures to remove a polyp or two and to do a D&C, and my dr had also prescribed progesterone. These things had helped, but not enough. I teach, and I always dreaded that I would have a heavy flow problem while teaching. In Jan. 2020, I had a bad flooding incident while teaching. My dr originally scheduled my hysterectomy for May 2020, but it had to be postponed due to the pandemic. I decided to "wait and see" before rescheduling it, but after another bad incident in April 2021, I told my dr that I wanted to go ahead with the surgery.

As I said, it was on Fri., Jun. 4. It was at 8:30 am, and I was home by 6:30 pm. On the first 2 days, I had a lot of pain due to the carbon dioxide that they pumped into my abdomen. Fortunately that seems to have subsided now. Aside from taking 2 pills of a prescription pain med on Jun. 4th, I have been taking OTC pain meds since then, and they are adequate. My main concern is that I have not yet had a bm. Hopefully that will happen soon. I've been drinking a lot of water and walking around the house as much as I can.

I am looking forward to no more worries about when I will get my period or how bad it will be! Just have to get through the recovery first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2021, 11:48 AM

I hate to hear that you are suffering from flu symptoms as well as recovering from surgery. I hope you feel a bit better today and that you are in communication with your doctor.
Also, I am an ESL teacher and I think your written English is GREAT!!
Unread 06-07-2021, 11:51 AM

I am also a teacher and I too experienced flooding, severe pain & migraines surrounding my short cycles . I also took that wait and see approach and in retrospect I see that my cramps were always extremely painful; even as a teen or young mom. I know we’ve made the right decision and that this recovery phase is just an awkward transition. I wish you an awesome school year this fall. Looking forward to having an entire school year without a period incident!!
Unread 06-07-2021, 10:04 PM

Had my hysterectomy, davinci assisted vaginal, total including ovaries and fallopian tubes on Friday. Arrived at Surgery hospital at 545. Checked in, went to room had a wonderful nurse, had Surgery at 7, recovery and back to room, given crackers and 7-up. Went for walk around floor, stopped to use bathroom a Checked out before noon! Everything going great some minor pain, relieved by aleve. Took percocet Friday all day and Saturday night to sleep. Otherwise aleve has taken care of all my achyness. Surgeon told husband because of the amount of endometriosis and scar tissue he removed, I would probably have less pain post op than I had pre-op. Also, have had PCOS which has caused infertility, painful periods, irregular (like sometimes 6 mo) periods, large clots, Hugh gushes, hit menopause 2 years ago, which was a relief.
Unread 06-08-2021, 01:53 AM

Welcome Ladies, thank you all for checking in here and letting us know that you made it safely to the other side of your surgery. You all have had a journey to get here, some paths have been bumper then others. Similar, your healing timeframe will be different, please try to avoid comparing your healing to others, as You are all different and will all heal at different rates. That said the process of healing will be similar. So let our journey together begin.

LeslieNope and DeniseO: My experience as a fellow Endo/Adeno survivor, I felt so much better waking up in the hospital after surgery then I had in years before. The daily pain was gone. Caution you as this made it hard for me to “be good” and not over do things from the first week! Slow healing has to happen and patience is a hard lesson to learn for busy ladies.

Frida80: Your posts are fine, love when we have ladies from all over the world. Please ask if you are struggling with something said here in a post, we can try to reframe it so you understand better. You mentioned flu symptoms, have you been diagnosed? As many of surgery recovery symptoms might overlap. Do you have a fever please let your doctor know as they will want to rule out infection. Body aches and sore throat can be common from the tube down your throat and anesthesia. Try to sooth your throat so that you can avoid coughing as that is no fun, if you have to cough try to use a pillow to brace against your tummy when you cough, it will help.

Busybook: It is common to not have a bowel movement for 4-5 days after surgery. Your system is sluggish and does not help that pain narcotics often bind you up. Stay the course of fluids and walking a little, maybe add in a stool softener if you are not taking one. Your system will wake up soon enough.

Many have talked about the “no more period days” oh they are amazing! Think about the last time you dared to wear white/tan pants or shorts? No more trying to plan events around your cycles. At 6 weeks I went shopping and bought all new sexy undies and tossed all my others that had seen better days. I bagged up my tampons and heavy flow pads and gifted them to younger friends. Note: hold onto your pads as you might need the panty liners to light day pads during your recovery as spotting is totally normal and common to come and go for some ladies from day 1 up to 6-8 weeks.

Sending healing hugs to all the ladies in this group
Unread 06-08-2021, 08:40 AM

So, had my LAVH on 6/2, home the same day. It has been a roller-coaster. The CO2 finally worked its way out so I don’t have any more shoulder pain. The chest and abdominal pain has eased up too. I had to force myself to eat the first several days (I lost 8 lbs since the surgery), but my appetite has started improving. I’m making sure to take it easy, relying on family help, and resting when I need to...though I have to occasionally remind my mother that I’m still recovering from major surgery (several years ago, one of her friends had a hysterectomy and apparently was back to normal within a few days, and I feel like my mother is comparing me and my recovery to hers).

Now the issue is the bowels. My doctor/surgeon has me taking Milk of Mag 15mL daily, which is working too well—I’m having so many that hemorrhoids have started swelling and occasionally bleeding, plus I walk around with a feeling of pressure in my pelvic region, as though I still need to go. I’ve written my doctor asking if there is an alternative I could take. Hopefully he’ll get back to me as early as possible today.
Unread 06-08-2021, 10:12 AM

Well wishes to all of you ladies! I just wanted to give an update on my recovery from my June 4th hysterectomy.

BMs: This was the major problem for me. Yesterday afternoon I spoke with a nurse in my dr's office, and she told me to take (in addition to the laxative/stool softener that I was already taking) yet another stool softener AND Milk of Magnesia. All of that finally worked, so I had 3 days of bms in the past 24 hrs. So glad that my body figured things out! Today I only took the stool softener and will see how things go for the rest of today. I don't want to end up at the other extreme, either.

Meds: Still taking OTC pain meds, alternating every 3-4 hrs between acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Today I am trying to take a slightly smaller dose of each. The pain is MUCH better than it was a few days ago (a lot of that early pain was gas pain from the carbon dioxide).

Other issues: The soreness in my throat (from the breathing tube that was used during the surgery) is nearly gone. The swelling on the back of my hand (where they unsuccessfully tried to start an extra IV when I was knocked out) is pretty much gone. Of course, still spotting onto a sanitary napkin -- as expected.

Shower: I finally took a shower today. I would have tried it yesterday but didn't want to chance it after taking all of the bowel meds. Shower went well, although it took all of my energy to do it. Still finding some adhesive residue in weird spots on my body, but that will eventually wear off or wash off.

My daily activities consist of sitting on the couch, walking around the house occasionally, and using the bathroom. All in all, though, I am very pleased with how things are going. I should also say that my husband has been terrific in how he has been taking care of me. So, no complaints!
Unread 06-08-2021, 06:41 PM

Welcome Katu Loa, glad you are checked in here. Please never let anyone (even your dear mother) pressure you to heal faster. You are correct it is major surgery and healing can not be rushed. No one wants complication is healing and making the recovery even longer. Sorry your bowels seem to be in overdrive. Could maybe see if your doctor will let you just try daily stool softeners. They don’t make you go like many of the other products they just make it easier to go when you need to. Hope you get some relief soon.

BusyBook brings up a good point about OTC meds, check with your doctor before you cut back or stop taking them. As I learned an important lesson that there is a reason for the alternating OTC meds. Acetaminophen is better for pain and Ibuprofen is better for inflammation. They work well together in helping you heal. I got to the point at my 1st post-op where my doctor let me scale back and take one of each together but did not want me to stop taking them all together. Even if you feel you do not need them for pain relief they do have a greater purpose in healing.

I hope everyone else is doing well

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register