Bowel Preps | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-22-2004, 06:13 PM
Bowel Preps

I bought two Fleets enemas today, to use the day before surgery, but only because one of the RNs I work with recommended it. No one has mentioned a bowel prep to me. I'm wondering if it will be enough?!! I have my hospital preop visit tomorrow and my preop visit at the doctor's office on Tuesday. Surgery is Wednesday morning. Should I prepare by bowels in any other way? I've been taking a stool softner for the last week, because I'm constantly constipated with the second to third degree rectocele I have, anyways. And that's not working worth a darn. Any suggestions preoperatively?

Michelle M. - three days and counting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2004, 06:19 PM
Bowel Preps

If no one has mentioned a bowel prep, then maybe it's not required. Not every doctor requires one. It was never mentioned to me and I was not given an enema at the hospital. They will let you know at either your hospital preop or your preop at the doctor's office if this is required. If you have a problem with constipation, you really need to mention it to your doctor. Believe me, it will not get any better after surgery. All those pain meds will slow you down and you will not be able to leave the hospital until you pass gas.
Unread 08-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Bowel Preps

Hi,

Hopefully by noone mentioning this, maybe it means you don't have to do the bowel prep. Great if you don't. BUT I would definately ask my dr. because noone said anything at my pre-op at the hospital about such thing but my dr.'s office had told me a 10 oz. bottle of mag. citrate. So, PLEASE ask!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Bowel Preps

I had a bowel prep and was prescribed Go-Lightly (there is nothing lightly about that stuff). Not everyone has a bowel prep.

I would check with your doctor.
Good luck.

Unread 08-23-2004, 01:08 AM
Bowel Preps

My doctor told me that while some Dr's don't require a bowel prep, it can actually make for an easier recovery. I don't know about you, but I can take marathon poop over a harder recovery any day of the week! Especially with your constipation, call your nurse, or if your Dr. has a 24 hour nurse on call, ask them. They are wonderful, and can help you get a jump start on your way! Good luck and God bless!
Unread 08-23-2004, 01:38 AM
Bowel Preps

Please DO NOT do any type of bowel prep unless specifically instructed to do it by YOUR DR.

DRs all have their preferences about this, and to some extent it is also influenced by what type of surgery you're having and what they expect to find in there. For example, if they anticipate problems with bowel adhesions, they'll want to have you do a more involved prep than if they don't.

Doing a bowel prep can cause you to become dehydrated. If your DR is unaware that you're doing one, you can endanger yourself. If your DR finds out at the last minute that you did a prep when it wasn't ordered, your surgery can be cancelled - it's happened before.

For my hyst, I had to do one Fleet enema the night before and nothing by mouth after midnight, that's all. Then last year, I had colon surgery... I had an elaborate two day long prep involving no solid foods at all and drinking two big batches of Fleet Phospho Soda plus taking lots of antibiotics...... by the time I got to the castle for the surgery I was very dehydrated. However, the DR anticipated that (the prep was necessary because they were going to be opening my colon), and he had me show up an hour or so early and get on IV fluids so I'd be well hydrated by the time I got to the OR. Then a few months ago I had breast surgery; no prep at all, just nothing by mouth after midnight.

Please ask your DR what your pre-op instructions are... and good luck with your surgery!

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register