Pre-op gas pain...I'm in agony! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op gas pain...I'm in agony! Pre-op gas pain...I'm in agony!

Unread 12-03-2013, 03:05 AM
Pre-op gas pain...I'm in agony!

Hi
I am listed for a SAH on the 9th December for several very large fibroids . I was awoken this morning ( 04.00 am) with severe trapped gas pains ; it's now 10.00 am and still I'm in agony .Has anyone else experienced this before the op? The thought of suffering this pain again after the SAH fills me with dread. My partner is picking up some meds later and I'm walking about. I'm certain the large fibroid is squashing the bowel.
X
Ps I have a very high pain threshold!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2013, 05:02 AM
Re: Pre-op gas pain...I'm in agony!

Sorry you are in pain!! I never experienced gas pains until lost op day 2 TAH, that was 5 days ago now and I'm starting to feel great!!! Just stay positive and keep thinking, not long now until you will be a new woman!!! Pain free, living and loving life!!! All the best x
Unread 12-03-2013, 05:03 AM
Pre-op gas pain...I'm in agony!

Post not lost, sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2013, 05:12 AM

Just returned from seeing the doctor. Distended abdomen and pain due to fibroid mass compressing the bladder thus obstructing the blood flow and compressing the nerves causing spasms ; now On the morphine! Thank you so much for replying. So pleased you're on the road to recovery. This is such a wonderful site. Roll on next Monday!
Xxx
Unread 12-03-2013, 08:24 AM

Hi there! The gas pain is definitely the worst part of post-op in my opinion. I'm not familiar with SAH, will they be doing an abdominal incision? There are two types of "gas" post-op, one is the trapped gas from a laparoscopic procedure because they push carbon gas in the abdominal cavity to see better and there's no where for it to go. If you're having an abdominal incision, you wouldn't have to worry about this. This is the painful gas that women complain of in the shoulders/collar bone. The other type of gas is in the intestines from slowed bowels (from anesthesia). I have been having regular bm's since 2 days post-op and I still have this gas, so it's not always from constipation. Gas-x never worked for me so I searched online and found these all natural gas pills called Charco Caps and they work wonders. I found them at my local pharmacy (CVS). Yes, it can be very painful and uncomfortable, but nothing worth it was ever easy so just take it as it comes and don't stress it until you have to! Good luck!!
Unread 12-03-2013, 09:23 AM

Hi Rosewax , and thank you for posting your message .
The surgeon is doing a transverse incision which I'm hoping won't cause stasis of the bowel after. The morphine is finally doing its job, but when I go for a wee it hurts , so it's definitely the bladder in this case. I'm so sorry to hear you're still suffering. It really is incredibly painful. I really wish I had consulted my GP earlier with the symptoms ( chronic menorrhagia resulting anaemia and general aches and pains in the abdo region ) then I wouldn't have needed an abdo incision. I work in medicine and I suppose I had my head in the sand over the presenting symptoms . Attributing them to getting older ( heavy periods ) and the side effects of migraine medication ( gut disturbances ) Unfortunately fibroids and ovarian Ca run in the family ; I'm the third generation to have a hysterectomy, but luckily It's for benign fibroids only .
Thank you for your advice- charcole caps have now been ordered !
I hope you continue to make a good recovery from your procedure.
Love and best wishes x
Unread 12-03-2013, 02:46 PM

I had some kind of pain in my stomach the week before Halloween. Since then i don't have pain in stomach. The day after pain stop my left leg started feeling like I pulled a groin muscle and has gradually got so bad I had to take time off work it has been 41 days of pain I am now using a walker cannot bathe so I am staying with my daughter till surgery on dec. 12. I get relief from sitting and only can sleep a couple hours at a time otherwise my leg hurts. Went to my family doctor and doctor who is doing surgery. My family doctor says he thinks it is from the fibroids I have a large mass and one that is growing from the uterus which is large a cyst the size of a cantaloupe. I am not getting any pains in my calves so I think that is good. Can't wait till surgery. Praying they will do it earlier.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register