3 days post hysterectomy: Side sleeping? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 days post hysterectomy: Side sleeping? 3 days post hysterectomy: Side sleeping?

Unread 10-29-2020, 04:19 PM
3 days post hysterectomy: Side sleeping?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has tips on sleeping on there side. The gas has moved to my shoulder and I am having trouble with breathing deeply while lying on my back. One more thing my surgeon never mentioned. I generally switch my position several times a night. Thankful for this forum!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2020, 04:55 PM
Re: Side sleeping?

I had a TAH so no gas to move to my shoulder but I was able to sleep on my side with a pillow tucked into/under my belly. It seemed to support me just fine. I normally move around at night as well but for the first little while I would wake up in the same position I fell asleep in. I slept very well, guess my body said sleep = healing.
Unread 10-30-2020, 05:04 AM

I'm a side sleeper myself, and because the laparoscopic gas pain had settled into my right shoulder, I found that I was more comfortable sleeping on my left side, which is also the best position for relieving intestinal gas and constipation. Back pain is another common post-op issue, for which I recommend the Lazy S position, with your knees bent towards your chest, a pillow between them to support proper alignment, another pillow to support your belly, and a firm pillow to support your head and neck. Sweet dreams, and best wishes for continued health and healing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2020, 05:25 AM
Re: Side sleeping?

Hey I’m a side sleeper also and it took me a couple of weeks to actually be able to ..... in the meantime I actually got comfy on my back with a yoga bolster under my knees to keep them up/ in place. Starting to drift off on my side now though and as someone else said using a pillow between my knees and supporting my tummy by my side has helped (also helps having my knees slightly more drawn up then usual). Good luck in your recovery!
Unread 10-31-2020, 06:55 AM
Re: 3 days post hysterectomy: Side sleeping?

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I cant quite sleep on my side yet but atleast I can lean a little and relieve some back pressure and pain. Having my knees up is very helpful too.
Unread 11-01-2020, 08:59 AM

Hi!
I'm also a side sleeper. I got one of those body pillows that has that memory foam in it, that really helped. And like everyone else has said, adjusting positions and different pillow configurations work too
Unread 11-17-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy_kitten View Post
Hi!
I'm also a side sleeper. I got one of those body pillows that has that memory foam in it, that really helped. And like everyone else has said, adjusting positions and different pillow configurations work too
I am 4 days post LAVH and I have found great relief with wearing a soft abdominal binder to sleep in and putting a pillow between my legs and under my side !
Unread 11-18-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj9499 View Post
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has tips on sleeping on there side. The gas has moved to my shoulder and I am having trouble with breathing deeply while lying on my back. One more thing my surgeon never mentioned. I generally switch my position several times a night. Thankful for this forum!!
Good morning. I use pillows to prop on my side and one between my legs see if that works.
Unread 11-19-2020, 08:59 AM
Re: 3 days post hysterectomy: Side sleeping?

I am also 4 days post hysterectomy and also a side sleeper. I have found having the right pillows help. Took me awhile to get the right ones and positioned right but I have found one between my legs or under my bent leg and then one hugs right up against my belly helps. I also keep a hot water bottle under my side/back. Each night seems to get a bit better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register