Scheduled LAVH Just turned 40 and opting for laparoscopic hysterectomy (11/13) afraid of going into early menopause. Is it common? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just turned 40 and opting for laparoscopic hysterectomy (11/13) afraid of going into early menopause. Is it common? Just turned 40 and opting for laparoscopic hysterectomy (11/13) afraid of going into early menopause. Is it common?

Unread 10-04-2020, 07:36 PM
Just turned 40 and opting for laparoscopic hysterectomy (11/13) afraid of going into early menopause. Is it common?

I am scheduled for surgey in a month and still worried about post-op. I have terrible periods, pain, fibroids and a large polyp in the internal lining that needs to be removed. I have not had a partical or full pregnancy...and that part is okay, as many loved ones are adopted and that is a welcomed option for us if we decide to. What horrifies me is early menopause. I am removing cervix and keeping both ovaries using da Vinci surgical system. I don't know anyone who has had one. We have a very active lifestyle and my periods have owned half my month for the last two years. If I did a scraping, I would likely be re-visiting this in the future, and think this is the time. What are the odds for early menopause? Is this common among women around 40 due to hystorectormy even when keeping ovaries? Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2020, 09:53 PM
Re: Just turned 40 and opting for laparoscopic hysterectomy and am very afraid of going into early menopause. Is it comm

Hi flyingray to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

I do not know what the odds of early menopause for you are, given your age. Your doctor may be able to help some with that. But, even in menopause, your ovaries release small amounts of hormones that are beneficial.

Your ovaries can get a bit sleepy after your surgery due to reduced blood supply from the uterus being removed, and may stop functioning a bit until they get accustomed. Here are articles that may provide information:
Ovary Function after Hysterectomy
Hot Flashes with Ovaries? 5 Reasons Why!
Ovarian Blood Supply
Sleeping Ovaries after Hysterectomy?

I cannot offer any personal information, as I lost both ovaries with my surgery. But, we have many women on this site, so hopefully one with experience will see this post and respond.

Unread 10-05-2020, 05:43 AM
Just turned 40 and opting for laparoscopic hysterectomy (11/13) afraid of going into early menopause. Is it common?

I had my surgery at age 48, keeping my cervix and both ovaries. Blood testing at 2 weeks post-op indicated that my ovaries had resumed normal functioning; I have heard from sisters whose ovaries were still offline as late as 2-3 months post-op, but except for a few exceedingly rare cases, they will resume normal functioning within a few months. I went through natural menopause at age 51, as I likely would have without the surgery, and today, I'm still realizing the benefits of the small amount of continued hormone production for my heart health, bone strength, and overall well-being. My advice is don't worry about premature menopause, because after they initially go offline, your ovaries should be back to normal functioning within a few months. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery, and a smooth recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2020, 03:25 PM

I just turned 29 and am scheduled for hysterectomy on 11/5.

I had an endometrial ablation with a tubal ligation on 11/28/2016 and that pushed me into premature ovarian failure somehow.

Now, I have the have the hysterectomy due to fibroids.

Prayers and well wishes for a quick recovery!
Unread 10-10-2020, 02:45 PM
Re: Just turned 40 and opting for laparoscopic hysterectomy (11/13) afraid of going into early menopause. Is it common?

i had an LSH, kept my healthy cervix and ovaries. i went into menopause like i usually would have...my ovaries worked fine after my surgery.
Unread 10-13-2020, 08:52 PM

Hi Dear

I had my hysterectomy at age 40 and menopause was a concern to me as well. I elected to keep my one good ovary. I also elected not to start an HRT. I take no medications and try to just respond to my bodies needs through vitamins and supplements. So far so good. What I will tell you, after the surgery you will go through a period of hormone swings. Big swings! I felt like I didn’t know what was going on with me for about a year after the surgery and truly thought I was going to have to start a HRT. My doctor knew my strong aversion to taking meds and helped me through it without them. It literally took about a year before I felt like everything calmed back down. Now 2+ years later I feel great and no meds.

You know your body better than anyone. Listen to your body afterwards and give yourself time and patience to adjust. Perhaps you will want/need HRT to help. Be open and have conversations with your doctor.

You’ve got this!!!
Unread 10-29-2020, 08:23 PM
Re: Just turned 40 and opting for laparoscopic hysterectomy (11/13) afraid of going into early menopause. Is it common?

Thank you so much for your responses and sharing your stories. It has been helpful to hear from others. I am still learning to navigate this platform so forgive the delay.

Tiffanymrod all the best with your procedure next week, will be sending you good vibes.
Unread 10-30-2020, 11:41 AM

Hello Flyingray,
I had my hyst (kept ovaries but everything else was evicted) for horrific fibroids and bleeding on Oct. 7, a Davinci assisted LAVH. I'm 48. After my procedure, I had night sweats for the first two weeks- big drenchers, sometimes several a night. I also had mood swings, got quite weepy here and there. But now I'm starting my 4th week of recovery and the past 5 nights I have slept the night through with only minor sweats, and my moods are evening out. I do believe my ovaries are working somewhatly again! You've got this. The sweats are weird, disruptive and make puddles in the bed, but they don't make bloody messes. The tears? Piece of cake. Better out than in, I always say. Chances are excellent that your ovaries will recover in short order, and you'll not have to face menopause any sooner than you otherwise would. Big hugs!!!
Unread 10-31-2020, 07:21 PM

Welcome!

After your hysterectomy your ovaries will begin shutting down faster than they may have normally, but you won't be put into immediate menopause.

My surgery was on 9/16/20 and I kept my ovaries. My doctor put me on estrogen patches 2 weeks post op to help "gently ease me" into menopause. I am however 48, and was starting to have some perimenopause symptoms before I had surgery. It was totally worth it to not have pain and bleeding anymore!

I would ask your doctor about very low dose estrogen to slow the menopausal process down a bit.

You will feel so much better once you are past recovery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingray View Post
I am scheduled for surgey in a month and still worried about post-op. I have terrible periods, pain, fibroids and a large polyp in the internal lining that needs to be removed. I have not had a partical or full pregnancy...and that part is okay, as many loved ones are adopted and that is a welcomed option for us if we decide to. What horrifies me is early menopause. I am removing cervix and keeping both ovaries using da Vinci surgical system. I don't know anyone who has had one. We have a very active lifestyle and my periods have owned half my month for the last two years. If I did a scraping, I would likely be re-visiting this in the future, and think this is the time. What are the odds for early menopause? Is this common among women around 40 due to hystorectormy even when keeping ovaries? Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. Take care.
Unread 10-31-2020, 10:16 PM

My surgery was June 2020 and I kept both ovaries, no menopause here...good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register