Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Oct 25, 2020 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Oct 25, 2020 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Oct 25, 2020

Unread 10-25-2020, 02:24 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Oct 25, 2020

Having SAH or TAH coming Wednesday. Have had large fibroid for over 10 years. Had an ablation for heavy bleeding last year. Fibroid all of a sudden grew 1/3 over 8 months after being the same size for 10 years. Doctor worried about chance of fibroid turning cancerous so wants everything out.

Hoping everyone a smooth surgery and recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2020, 02:47 PM

I did my COVID test yesterday (Saturday) and partial hysterectomy is Tuesday. Iím 47... I have been poked (by female surgeries over the years) and what this over with. But still am scared!

Iím am also doing WW. Honestly, it has been amazing support. I live in cleveland, Ohio but attend virtually in broken arrow, OK. I love the group I found!

Thinking of you during this process!!! Hugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molls1812 View Post
Hi there!

Iím Molly. Iím 46, and scheduled for my total hysterectomy on Friday, 10/30. I have a big fibroid that caused almost constant spotting and bleeding. Iíve had lots of cervical issues (LEEP, cryo, colposcopy, etc) so it has to go, too. My surgery will be a same day surgery, I go in at 7:15, and if all goes well, Iíll be able to go home around 4:00. Sheís doing a laparoscopic procedure, and taking my uterus out through my vagina.

Iím both excited and nervous. Iím getting my house ready. The anesthesiologist said I had to stop taking my psoriatic arthritis meds, so Iím a little worried about pain in the coming days. I do my Covid test tomorrow and then have to self isolate until my surgery. My husband works at home, and Iím a homemaker, so itís not a big deal. I do watch my 7 month old grandson during the day, though, so Iíll need help with that after the surgery.

Covid got me scared about my weight, so I started WW in June and lost 30+ pounds. Iíve been walking 5-6 days a week, so I hope I can get back to that before too long.

Iím so glad I found this site, itís been so helpful! And itís great to have conversations with others who are going through the same thing

XOXO,
Molls
Unread 10-25-2020, 04:40 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Oct 25, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta77 View Post
Oh which post op panty is best?
How about belly binders do they work?
I can't say which is best, but I got ones called "FallSweet No Show High Waist Briefs Underwear" on Amazon (can't link here). They're seamless, high waisted, and smooth. I originally got them in my normal size, but with reading about swelly belly, I then got one a size up too, particularly for the start of the healing process.

I was dancing around the house wearing them, joking about granny panties, but my husband said that they look more like a vintage swim suit or a super hero costume, so there's that. ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibongo View Post
Hi hystersisters
A little about me, I'm 54 and due to have a full abdominal hysterectomy Monday 26th October. Many years ago I had a micro ablution (for heavy periods) it failed and I bled continuously for months after, when I got to see a doctor they suggested a merena coil or hysterectomy I was not ready to have a hysterectomy at the time so coil it was and it worked it stopped me bleeding.. Until I had my last coil removed (due to age by this time I was going through menopause) bleeding and pain started with a vengeance. . Anyway 2 years of pain and bleeding for weeks on end I'm finally having a hysterectomy!!.. I'm nervous as I'm sure we all are but also relieved that it is finally happening
It's nice to know we can share our worries together and help each other on the road of recovery x
Alibongo. You have gone through a lot to get to the point of having surgery. It is normal to be nervous ... I am sure that your HysterSisters are right there with you. Let your medical team know how nervous you are ... they will be able to give you something to calm you before surgery.

Take a deep breath dear ... you can do this. You will be in good hands and your medical team will be doing what they do best ... taking care of you.

Best wishes on your surgery. Remember we are here for you.

Unread 10-25-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulgeek View Post
I can't say which is best, but I got ones called "FallSweet No Show High Waist Briefs Underwear" on Amazon (can't link here). They're seamless, high waisted, and smooth. I originally got them in my normal size, but with reading about swelly belly, I then got one a size up too, particularly for the start of the healing process.

I was dancing around the house wearing them, joking about granny panties, but my husband said that they look more like a vintage swim suit or a super hero costume, so there's that. ;-)
Thank you!! I was looking at everything from this site to Amazon. So many options and the prices are all different.
Unread 10-25-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owljustbeme76 View Post
Good morning, having coffee and listening to the rain trying to relax as much as my nervous mind will let me. Iíve clean my house prepared my room and now my mind is only thinking about what will happen tomorrow Iím 44, had one ovary removed 10 years ago due to a grapefruit size cyst that destroyed my left ovary. I have POCS or insulin resistance and was very over weight for my height, 3 years ago my gyno tried metformin but was to harsh on my system and then she wanted me to do injections (needles my mind said nooooooooo ) and I said to doc let me try one last time to lose weight on my own. So I did low carb, and food diary and walked and then worked my way to going to gym and finally weightlifting. I lost 80 pounds and finally felt I got healthy! My gyno retired was nervous about having a new doctor . I met with her replacement who had my doctors same nursing staff so that made me feel better. I had a biopsy during my normal pap and scheduled and ultrasound to check on my last ovary. My biopsy came back fine. But my ultrasound showed another cyst the size of my ovary that was complex and fibroids on my uterus wall. she said she could burn the fibroids out and they do that to the whole uterus but might have to do it again. I said Iím done being poked at all the time and ready for hysterectomy and she agreed it was the best option. Iím looking forward to not having periods that last 10-12 days and pain and nausea. But I will be having my last ovary out the uterus and cervix out . I will be having the robotic surgery. I pray that surgery goes well and I donít have any problems . I worry about the surgical menopause, they will put me in the hormone patch. I want to continue to get healthier after I heal, I worry about gain all that weight again . For the first time in my adult life Iím not obese anymore. Sorry for the long post ladies , I wish you all well and safe surgery day and a speedy recovery.
Owljustbeme on your weight loss ... Iím proud of you for taking control of your health. I know that the thought of surgical menopause can be scary. Here are a few articles that I hope will give you some helpful information.

6 Tips to Help you Prepare for Surgical Menopause

7 Tips for Managing Surgical Menopause without HRT

Do This - Not That: Managing Surgical Menopause

Menopause Articles List - you will find several articles here under "HRT Alternatives".

Our thoughts and prayers are with you dear.

Unread 10-25-2020, 05:24 PM

Hello all,
Iíll be having my surgery on Tuesday. I have a 10 year old fibroid that decided to grow to the size of a half term pregnancy. Theyíll be doing a vertical cut, hopefully leaving the ovaries as long as theyíre in good condition, since Iím only 42. Praying for a fast recovery as Iím single and have 3 children to provide for. My sister is staying with me for a couple of days, super excited for that! Sheís been through it, so that will be helpful. Best of luck everyone!
Unread 10-25-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $0Tired0110 View Post
Hello all. My date is quickly approaching. Went for my pre-op last week and was given Covid restrictions I wasn't expecting. Husband has to leave after we arrive and cannot come back until after I'm in my room. As my procedure is scheduled a bit later in the day (1 PM), I worry I won't even be awake and alert before visiting hours are over at 7. He will have to go home and cannot come back until 10 AM the following morning. Anyone else experienced this? Tips for being by yourself in the hospital? Thanks.
ďTiredĒ ... it is good to meet you. The Covid virus has created many restrictions for hospitals. Iím sorry he canít be with you before surgery ... I know thatís hard. Hopefully you wonít be totally out after surgery ... our thoughts and prayers are with you dear.

Please know you are not alone during your recovery.
Unread 10-25-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn_Nic View Post
I am anxious too!!! I'm 47 and have one child. My exploratory laparoscopy and partial hysterectomy is scheduled for Tuesday, 10/27. The worst thing for me right not is fear. Over the past five years, I have had horrible cramping usually during period which has sent me to the ER twice. Five years ago, I was having lower right hand side cramping during period. It was thought to be appendix. ER said inflamed colon. Had upper endo and colonoscopy and it was perfect. GI sent me to GYN. Exploratory laparscopy showed scar tissue from bowel to uterus (had a c-section fin 2010). Had a miscarried in 2018 and had a D&C too. We tried IUD to alleviate the pain. We couldn't have it inserted. Next step was partial hysterectomy. I kept putting it off. This year in August, I ended up back in ER for lower right hand abdominal pain again. ER again said inflamed colon. Went through another colonoscopy and biopsy to show fine! Back to GYN! Since I need an exploratory laparoscopy, I decided to have partial hysterectomy done now.
to HysterSisters Dawn. I am so sorry you have ended up in the ER so many times and they kept telling you the same thing. You have been through much ... I know you are ready to have this saga over and be on your road to recovery. Our prayers are with you dear ... your surgery will alleviate all the pain you have been in for so long.

Best wishes to you dear ... weíll be waiting on the other side.
Unread 10-25-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta77 View Post
Hello!! I am 38 years old. I will be having a TLAH on Thursday. I will also be having a bladder hammock and urethra sling.

I had my tubes tied at 23 yr. I was don't having Children i have 2 boys one is 19 in the USMC and I have 14 yr high schooler! After my 6 week check up I was I had cysts but they would clear up.. then 2 years ago I had a DNC and Myo to remove fibs and to see if it would help with my long, painful periods. At first all was well. No issues, but about 1 year afterwards sex started being pain full, and my periods got worse. I went back for my yearly check up to find out the fibroids had returned some in my uterus and some on the outside walls of my uterus and my left ovary is producing cysts. I have a leaky bladder caused by stress incontinence After talking to the Dr. We have agreed the best solution it to have a hysterectomy, bladder sling and urethra stent.I will I could say I'm happy about this, but that would be a lie. I'm scared to death. I worry about the recovery period and having complications. But I guess at this point all I can do is give it to God. Prayers for all.my fellow sisters.

Oh which post op panty is best?
How about belly binders do they work?
Jetta ... weíre glad to have you with us. I know the thought of repair work can be scary . . . you are having a lot of work done. My surgery was a dvTH/BSO plus enterocele and rectocele repairs, and my bladder was tacked up. There are several things that I found very helpful:

Personal wipes are more soothing than tissue

Peri bottle for personal cleansing

Ice packs . . . I wet pads and froze them.

Sitz bath ONLY if approved by your doctor.

Thin pillow or cushion but not a donut cushion. (They create more vaginal pressure)

I also found a recliner to be the most comfortable for sitting . . . you can lean back and ease the pressure.

Having a BM can make you very anxious. It is important for you to try to relax when the time comes and DON'T STRAIN. Be sure to drink lots and lots, walk around every hour or so, and take your stool softener. Eating fiber rich foods is helpful . . . bran works wonders. Try propping up your feet on a short stool . . . this is known as the Squatty Potty position. I know it sounds "odd" but it changes the angle and helps everything to move better on its own.

Take a deep breath . . . you can do this. We have a PFBI forum to help you as you recover from your repairs, etc. Please come and join us if you have questions and need support.

One of the best ways to help prevent having more repair work done is to strictly follow all of your post op restrictions ... no pushing, no pulling, no bending, and no lifting over a gallon of milk. Each of those things put pressure on the pelvic floor and can cause a prolapse. It will also be very important to strengthen your Pelvic Floor muscles (this is more than kegels) ... it would be very worth talking to your doctor about Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy. I went through 4 months of therapy and my muscles are very strong. One more thing would be using vaginal estrogen cream to help strengthen your vaginal walls.

on your surgery my dear. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register