Upcoming December hysterectomy: Scared of suddenly not being me | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming December hysterectomy: Scared of suddenly not being me Upcoming December hysterectomy: Scared of suddenly not being me

Unread 10-26-2020, 12:43 PM
Upcoming December hysterectomy: Scared of suddenly not being me

I have had regular periods so not peri-menopausal (think!) and I wasn’t expecting to hit menopause for a few years yet. I know the operation will solve a lot of discomfort and pain but..

I get my Prostap injection on Friday which the doctor says will put me into the menopause and help with the operation, then have my operation in December which will of course then be permanent menopause.

I’m freaking out a bit that overnight I won’t be the person I am now. Does that sound stupid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2020, 12:49 PM
Re: Scared of suddenly not being me

I completely get it! I have a full hysterectomy planned soon and feeling the same way. However, this site has made me feel much more comfortable with the process (new member as of today). There are solutions to the post-menopausal symptoms. Hey - I'm hoping for possibly feeling better on HRT. Maybe it is wishful thinking - but that's where I'm at in the process. You are not alone.
Unread 10-26-2020, 08:24 PM
Re: Scared of suddenly not being me

Hi Florrie2 -

All of your feelings, fears, emotions and anxieties are completely normal.

If you have not already, you may wish to get alternate opinions on your condition, as you may have other options. I saw from your survey that you have endo. As you have probably been told, a hysterectomy does not cure endo. Neither does removing your ovaries. You need an endo expert to remove the disease. Here are articles that may provide information:
Can Endometriosis Return after a Hysterectomy?
2 Big Reasons to Keep Your Ovaries Even If You Have Endometriosis
Should I Keep My Ovaries or Not If I Have Endometriosis?
25 Health Risks Related to Oophorectomy and Surgical Menopause
Do I Need a Second Opinion for My Hysterectomy?

I also saw from your survey that you have cysts. Here is an article that may provide information:
Ovarian Cysts

Sometimes you have no choice but to remove your ovaries - I was in that position. I did NOT have endo. For me, surgical menopause was MISERABLE. My GP at the time put me on oral bio-identical estrogen and it gave me my life back. HRT is not an option for everyone, however. Here is an article:
Can I Use HRT after an Oophorectomy If I Have Endometriosis?.

Do research, talk to your doctor, get alternate opinions, and make the best decision for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2020, 02:41 AM
Upcoming December hysterectomy: Scared of suddenly not being me

Thanks both.

It has been a 2 year decision making process to get where I am so I am confident I am making the right decision. I just need to accept and embrace it all.
Unread 10-27-2020, 08:43 PM
Re: Upcoming December hysterectomy: Scared of suddenly not being me

Florrie2 -

Take the time you need for this. Having a hysterectomy is such an overwhelming experience. It is MAJOR SURGERY, and you have to weigh the pros and cons with your current health condition.

The logical side of you has gone through this 2-year process and is confident the decision is correct. The emotional side of you still needs more processing. These two sides will process this at different rates and at different times. That is okay.

My emotional side was still processing well after my surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register