Scheduled TAH Horrified of dryness and dysfunction | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Horrified of dryness and dysfunction Horrified of dryness and dysfunction

Unread 09-05-2009, 04:27 AM
Horrified of dryness and dysfunction

Does anyone know which part of our reproductive system produces our natural lubrication when stimulated? My dr says my cervix will have to be removed and my ovaries will stay unless "They look bad when she gets in there" She also says "O" has nothing to do with my cervix or uterus but I disagree. If I currently experience Uterine orgasms when my gspot is stimulated, what will happen once my cervix and uterus is gone? Clitoral "O"s only? And the thought of relying on lubricants is horrible. What about the g spot? Where is it located? Is it going to go with my cervix? I'm so full of anxiety it's insane!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2009, 05:48 AM
Re: Horrified of dryness and dysfunction

Hi there and welcome.
Firstly and most importantly-
I would urge you to ensure the doctor leaves your ovaries if possible as if they are removed there is a possibility you may have libido problems down the line.
It is still possible to have intense orgasms without the uterus and cervix. I believe all orgasms actually emanate from the clitoris although of course they extend to the uterus which makes them feel as though that is where they start. If your pelvic muscles are in good shape then you may be surprised at how intense orgasms can still be. I sometimes feel as though I still have uterine contractions and I don't have a uterus any more!
The G spot is located on the front wall of the vagina and has nothing to do with the cervix. If you had ever had stimulation of it then you would be aware of this already so don't worry about it- it will still be there!
You will only have to rely on lubricants if you go through a surgical menopause-ie if your ovaries are removed, or if you are going through a natural menopause anyway as all women do at some point. It is not so bad you know!
There is a lot of acceptance which comes with having a hysterectomy because of course things will never be quite the same again. However many women (I believe) feel better afterwards especially if they have been suffering with painful conditions.

Good luck with the surgery

uk lady
Unread 09-05-2009, 06:09 AM

By the way I didn't answer the first part of your question about where natural lubrication comes from. It is of course from the vagina.

uk lady
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2009, 08:29 AM

sa691 -

Each and every woman is different in her healing and journey through hysterectomy. Yes, there are similarities and why we can talk to one another about our experiences and offer advice.

If you haven't already sought a 2nd or 3rd opinion you may want to do that. Also make sure if you have concerns that you consider the less irreversible options first. I know you stopped a UAE before but you may want to revisit that procedure. You can always step up to a hysterectomy but you can't step back from it and you have to be absolutely sure that this and it's consequences are something you are ready for if you are having this for non-life threatening conditions. There are members who didn't have a choice because of cancer but in all other situations this is considered elective and you have to be comfortable with it.

Speaking from experience there can be sexual dysfunction after the surgery and it can be difficult to find a doctor who will help you with it. If you are concerned talk to your doctor now and say "what will be your recommendations and course of treatment if this happens to me".

In my personal experience and from reading here the following are some things that can influence the possibility of dysfunction....

Did you have pain prior to the surgery that interfered with sex? Many members find that the hysterectomy removed those issues and now sex is better (remember I said many, not all).
Did you keep your ovaries? If you don't keep your ovaries you will experience surgical menopause and that can be rough.
Did you already go through menopause? If so you may have already experienced some of the libido and lubrication slow down but even at that the ovaries produce some hormones so if they are removed things may change.
If you kept your ovaries did they go to sleep? The blood flow to the ovaries is interrupted in surgery and it may take awhile for them to wake up and in some cases they don't wake up, so you are back to menopause.
Trying to go back to normal activities to soon? When you resume intercourse go slowly and not as vigorusly as before until you know you are healed. It takes months to fully recover. If you go in tense you can trigger musles that cause sex to be painful, this can cause it's own set of issues.
Expect things to be different after the surgery. If they are you aren't negatively surprise and if they aren't you are happy and relieved.

You have to be ready for the outcomes because as UK Lady said there is adjustments with having a hysterectomy.

G.
Unread 09-05-2009, 10:19 AM

I have my cervix removed & I have not had any trouble with dryness at all. So I know some of it comes from the vagina. I did have KY jelly on hand but never needed it. My O is the same as it was before (after you heal all the way).
Unread 09-06-2009, 09:53 PM

That was one of my concerns after deciding on the surgery, as I was having uterus and ovaries taken out. My DH and I decided we would work through whatever the result was in that department. After 20 years of marriage it was like 'rediscovering' again. We took it one step at a time, and kept KY on hand just in case. I am now at 12 weeks post op and enjoying things now that the other 'issues' are no longer present. Keep the lines of communication open with your other half, for us that made a huge difference.
Unread 09-07-2009, 04:59 AM

Today is my 5 year anniversary and I can say without a doubt that you can have hope for even more intense orgasms post-op! The Dr took my cervix and left my ovaries also. My orgasms turned into vaginal orgasms and they are AMAZING!!!! They are definitely different but they are wonderfully intense. So, keep up hope....it can be better than before!
Unread 09-23-2009, 06:06 PM

Thank u everyone. I am now at home and I only had my uterus removed. I still have my cervix and ovaries and my incision is unbelievable! I thought I would look like frankenstein and instead my incision is longways about 14 inches below my bikini line and no staples!
THANK EVERYONE for ur unbelievable support.. I love u all and I will keep u all posted
Unread 09-23-2009, 06:57 PM

Good for you. I had LAVH/BSO and started on the estrogen patch before I left the hospital. I am about 7-8 weeks out and have had no problems with lubrication tho I did make sure it was on hand if needed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register