Need help sleeping... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need help sleeping... Need help sleeping...

Unread 02-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Need help sleeping...

Okay, I'll try to keep this short:

I started taking elavil (10 mg.) for pelciv pain and it kept me awake at night with increased symptoms from my Restless Leg Syndrome. So...I went off the elavil (I only tried it this time for about 4 days).

I have felt stressed lately (family issues, remodeling, my DH went into the hospital, our neighbor whos is like family to us is seriously ill, I have chronic pelvic pain and I'm trying, unsuccessfully, to find a decent doctor within our HMO...) but I'm not even sure if the stress is keeping me from sleeping or if the lack of sleep is causing me stress. All I know is I'm desperate for some rest...and I do mean desperate...and I can't get any sleep. I do still have one ovary and she's working fine, so the lack of sleep isn't hormone related.

Today I tried to get a nap, and after more than an hour I did fall asleep...a very peaceful sleep...until a STUPID (sorry, I'm grouchy, lol) person from the hospital called me to ask how my experience was on Jan. 27th when I had my colonoscopy done! This lady could barely speak english and it was soooooo frustrating to be pulled out of my first peaceful sleep in a long time, just for that nonsense! Grrrrrrrrrrr.

I'm starting to feel afraid of how tired I am and how little sleep I'm getting. I was so tired Monday that I stayed home part of the day because I felt like I couldn't drive safely. I was really that tired!

I honestly don't know what to do. I've never had such a hard time sleeping and I'm tired all day long. I feel depressed from the exhaustion. I also feel stressed...like I can't deal with anything. I stayed home today because I simply couldn't deal with anything and didn't want to have anything more happen in my life to make me feel stressed. I'm beyond my limits here.

Any ideas ladies? I'm on vicodin for pain management and have been using it for months now. I don't take it after 5pm to avoid it interfering with sleep. I only take 3 a day (could use more some days). Today I've avoided taking any in case that is what is disrupting my sleep...but I doubt that is doing it.

I've never had this happen before...and I'm really feeling uneasy about it.

Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Need help sleeping...

(((Rita)))
I'm sorry that you're having problems with I have that problem intermittently, but it's never been a long term problem for me. I seem to have the opposite problem most of the time, I want to sleep too much.

Some of the ladies in the have found some help by drinking ovaltine before bed. Here's an interesting thread with some info about why it might help Ovaltine

Good luck, I hope you can get a good nights sleep soon.
Unread 02-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Have you tried....

Valerian Root?? Worked great for me when I had only slept for about 4 hours in 4 nights. Might be worth trying! Wishing you loverly sleeps!
Unread 02-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Need help sleeping...

Dear Rita,

I do think you should consult with your family doctor. Trouble sleeping can be a sign of depression... you definately have more than enough stress and troubles in your life to cause depression. Perhaps your doctor might be able to help.

Just something to consider...I hope you are able to find an answer.

It's funny...I can't sleep when I take Vicodin but Elavil works well for me. Celexa made me crazy and kept me up all night.

Sarah
Unread 02-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Need help sleeping...

Are you on medication for Restless Leg Syndrome? One of the drugs of choice is Clonazepam (my husband uses it for RLS) and in a larger dose it can help you sleep. I am currently in an extended life crisis and my doctor suggested medication for sleep. I don't like taking drugs but have accepted the suggestion and am sleeping all night for the first time in a long time. Still have trouble getting a nap, but at least I get some sleep at night. There are numerous drugs available that help - from sleeping medications to anti-depressants. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
Unread 02-13-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks Ladies...

I ended up in the ER because I started having chest pains. I really thought I was just being too stressed out, but in the ER they said my heart rate was too fast and irregular at times. They did give me something that helped regulate the heart rate and it helped me rest...and I slept most of the day until I was released. I have to follow up with a cardiologist. I feel fine now...still a bit tired, but nothing like I felt before. That was an absolute strange experience for me!

Joselle,
I don't take any meds for RLS because I don't completely trust the long term benefits of using drugs for RLS This is based on my own history...but I know some drgus do help other RLS sufferers). Some research from Harvard indicates that the drugs used to treat RLS can sometimes worsen symptoms over time,(some clinical trials produced adverse results in longer-term studies) mainly the drugs used for Parkinsons related symptoms. I don't remember specifically if the drug your DH uses is related to any Parkinsons drugs. I also have a high sensitivity to drugs...and I rarely find one I can tolerate very well. It is so good to hear your DH has found something that gives him relief from RLS symptoms...it is a nightmare to live with. My Dad had it and he spent many nights awake from it. I have such adverse reactions to drugs that I'm afraid to try them. Usually I'm okay with the RLS symptoms unless a drug (like my recent attempt to use Elavil for chronic pain) increases them...then I've got a problem. On a normal night I can take 2 Aleve and sit in a hot bath for 15 minutes and that usually works for me. But...every RLS person is different, and sometimes it's a matter of finding what works for you. I'm sure your DH feels thankful to find some relief from RLS. It can be excruciating when you need sleep.

Anyways...thank you for your help ladies. I'm going to buy some ovaltine, thanks (((((Kim))))) for the suggestion, to have on hand if I should need it.

Hugs and Healing,

Rita
Unread 02-14-2004, 12:19 AM
Need help sleeping...

Its 2 am and I cant sleep - I am so gonna get OVALTINE tomorrow and try that out! Wow couldnt believe what i read..sure worth a shot. Nothing else is helping. Sleep is so needed.
Unread 02-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Need help sleeping...

((((Rita))))) Sweetie, do try and get some You are living with sooooo many stress factors right now, that it's little wonder you're having a hard time sleeping. And I know just how much of a toll it can take on your system, symply because I've only been getting about 4 or 5 hours of restless sleep a night for ages. For me, this is very little sleep: I normally sleep 8 to 10 hours of very peaceful sleep!!!

Ovaltine is a very good product to use, so is herbal teas, especially those with chamomille, lemon or mint. Having a nice, calming, soothing, warm bath, maybe with a bit of lavendar oil, is also very relaxing. Surrounding yourself with blue is also conducive to a restful night. A blue lightbulb will do the thing or covering your bedside lamp with blue cloth will help too.

BTW, the more you are tired, the more likely your RLS will flare. I have it, but my DD has it much, much worse. Some nights, when she's very tired, it will not only keep her from sleeping, it will also wake her up!!! That sure tends to create a vicious circle: can't get to sleep because of the RLS and more RLS because of lack of sleep

I agree that a visit to your doctor is in order. Hopefully, the cardiologist will also be able to shed some on all the issues you're dealing with.

Sending lots of healing s your way.
Unread 02-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Need help sleeping...

I drink Ovaltine before bedtime. I select my favorite mug, mix up the stuff and heat it up in the microwave getting it nice and hot. I then climb into bed, get all snuggly and drink away. I wondered about it's effectiveness and so I quit for a few days. I was up a few times during the night. I am now convinced that this is the best sleep remedy for me. Hope you can find someway to get a good nights rest!
Unread 02-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Need help sleeping...

It worked for me (Ovaltine) but unfortunately the milk before bed rebounds on my stomach ulcer. The last few days I drank it I did sleep but woke up sick to my stomach. Of course the pain med for my surgery and hand hasn't helped my ulcer either...ugh

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register