Frustrated With Doctor's Office | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Frustrated With Doctor's Office Frustrated With Doctor's Office

Unread 10-09-2000, 05:04 PM
Frustrated With Doctor's Office

I visited my Ob/Gyn (first time seeing her) on October 28. She told me that I had a prolapsed uterus and probably endo. She told me that I needed an ultrasound and then probably go into my belly button to confirm endo. So I had my ultrasound that following Monday then didn't get to talk with the doctor (after many unreturned phone calls from her nurse, whom I think is fed up with me) until Thursday evening about what the next step would be. The doctor stated that she wanted to go straight to a complete hysterectomy. Also she wanted to get a urologist involved to tack up my bladder and do some kind of procedure called "MaCalls Cuff" (spelling???). I told her I already have a urologist who already agreed that I needed work on my bladder. She said she normally uses this other guy, but would check into the reputation of my doctor. She said that she additionally wanted me to have a barium enema that next week, and that she would have her secretary call the next day to schedule. I asked her when we were talking about doing the surgery which she stated the end of Oct., beginning of November sometime.

Well, the nurse never called me Friday, so once again I was on the phone first thing this morning trying to find out about the barium enema. She finally called me back later and said that her and the doctor were working out of different offices and also that she would be only working a half day today. She said that she knew nothing of any of what the doctor talked to me about. She said that Friday was a very busy day (they seem to say that everyday). She told me that she would get back to me tomorrow for sure. Needless to say I am very frustrated. Am I being too impatient with this office? Does it normally take awhile to get doctor offices going on this type of thing? I feel like because I am not expecting that I am put on the back burner? Please let me know if I just need to relax, that this is all normal?? Sorry this is so long, I needed to vent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2000, 06:09 PM
If it were me...

and I was having this kind of trouble with a doctor and staff that I didn't have a standing doc patient relationship with I'd run for the nearest exit.

I don't think you need to relax, personally I'd expect a return call either from the doc or his nurse the same day the call is made.

Paige
Unread 10-09-2000, 07:07 PM

I agree with Paigee. I think I would check out other doctors. They don't sound like they are a very organized office. Even if you couldn't talk to the doctor directly her nurse should have been able to contact her for you. The nurse usually can find out just about anything from the doctor.

If you do have an hysterectomy, you are going to want to have a doctor's office that is going to support you and answer any questions you may have in a timely manner.

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2000, 07:24 PM
Frustrated with Doctor's Office

I agree with the above posts.....if it were me, I would run as fast as I could in the opposite direction and find another doctor. It doesn't matter what test etc. have already been done. Those can be transferred to another doctor upon request. They would have to be done for the new doctor anyway.

When I was referred to my gyn. by my GP he said he had three people he would refer me to. I told him to send me to THE ONE he would trust his own wife with. I wanted the best. This is my body we were talking about (and major surgery to boot) and I want nothing less than the most top notch doctor doing my surgery.

When I have called my gyn. office the nurse has returned my call within 1/2 a day OR the doctor has called me personally.
Unread 10-09-2000, 09:12 PM
Yep - I concur

When you have a good doctor with an efficient and friendly nursing staff it makes a huge difference. I didn't really know about this until it got so yucky with my other doctor that I knew I couldn't use her for my surgery. I'm really feeling like I'd been missing out all along because this doctor is so much better - and most of the reason I think he is great is because his staff has done exactly what they said they'd do when they said they'd do it. It definitely instills confidence!
Unread 10-10-2000, 04:16 AM
Poor doctors....

I would get a doctor who could maybe do both surgeries, or at least two doctors that are working more closely. I have a local ob/gyn that dealt with my pregnancies, but, coming from a pretty small city, I just was not comfortable with having him do the surgery (not that he made a date for one....I would go to him bleeding and with incontinence and he would say, give it a few more days, weeks, months....) The last time I went, he realized that I was getting a little ticked off, and said, well, if you are still having problems THREE MONTHS from now, come back and we'll make a date for surgery (which of course would mean a wait of a least 2 more months from then)! Aside from the fact that he obviously has no idea what I feel like, I was just not comfortable in having someone who is more specialized in delivering babies and doing routine pap smears than doing bladder work do my two surgeries. I got a referral from my family doctor to see a URO-gynocologist...one who actually specializes in both my problems. I am going for my routine check-up with my ob-gyn in a few weeks and I can imagine that HE will be the ticked off one when he realizes that he will not be the 'chosen one'! To that, I say, TOUGH! And as for doctors telling you who will be doing the surgery, if you are not happy with who is doing it, please go see someone else. It's up to YOU to decide who's doing your surgery, not your doctor (unless you want him to). And yes, these doctors should be keeping in touch with each other, that's what phones and fax machines are for! Sounds to me like you are getting the 'run around'! Okay, I'm done ranting now!**LOL** It's just those memories of lazy and rude doctors that gets to me, I have definitely been there! Good luck!
Unread 10-10-2000, 09:50 AM

Dear Chilbert:

Please get a second or even a third opinion. This is major surgery, and nobody needs a poor doctor-patient relationship.

I had 2 medical opinions, and ended up with a uro-gynecologist (no babies to deliver for him!), who did a less-invasive surgery than doc #2 suggested.

Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

Good luck
Unread 10-10-2000, 04:34 PM

Chilbert, PLEASE get a second opinion from another doc, you do not deserve the runaround that this office is giving you.What if you needed to reach them after your surgery and could not?? Also, beware-the "nurse" may actually be a medically untrained assistant that the doctor pulled off the front phones.You would be shocked at how many doctors use untrained personel because they can pay them less. I don't mean to scare anyone, but I am a school-trained CMA and I have seen what can happen behind the scenes. Run, don't walk, get a second and even a third opinion before you decide. I am ditching my doctor myself. Please post again and let us know how you are doing. Angela
Unread 10-10-2000, 05:16 PM

The first question I have is WHAT DID THE SONO SHOW? why is she so eager to do a hyst after a sono? I realize if you need one thats fine but I don't understand how she could make that assumption with just a sono. I have had a sono and a lap. They found endo.I also got the run around from 2 doctors prior to my visit with this doctor. I will say my new doctor is wonderful! He has a great bedside manor and I feel he is very capable. I wish you the best of luck and like everyone else has stated Run Run Run!
Lea
Unread 10-10-2000, 06:39 PM

That gal you spoke to? What a poopyhead!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register