Is it all that bad for recouping after hysterectomy? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is it all that bad for recouping after hysterectomy? Is it all that bad for recouping after hysterectomy?

Unread 04-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Is it all that bad for recouping after hysterectomy?

I truly believe with a positive attitude, you will do fine. I, myself, sometimes get freaked out by some of the posts, but agree with the other sisters that those are the ones who need support right now. I had a TVH, which my doc told me that in order to get that kind of surgery, there are things that need to be looked at....in my case, two weeks before surgery, I had a laparoscopy which showed that everything was in its place and was totally normal apart from my nasty big uteris. She explained that for a moment, a vaginal hyst. is a blind proceedure, but knowing that all was exactly as it should be was enough to tell her we could go for it vaginally. I dont know if you have noticed also, that the type of surgery you have will have alot to do with your recovery. I am 4 weeks out, went back to work at 3 weeks, and have done everything active except have sex.....so, we all are different. Dont be scared, look at it as a positive move for you, and know your life will be for the better.

Christie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Re: Is it all that bad for recouping after hysterectomy?

Quote:
Originally posted by newforu01

Hi Gail!

I believe that recovery experiences vary based on a number of factors, including:
  • Overall health, including physical fitness, appropriate weight, diet, non-smoking vs. smoking, etc.
  • Reason for hysterectomy
  • Surgical complications or lack thereof
Results from having a hyst range from terrific to terrible. As far as I know, there is no way to predict with certainly into which group you will fall. I do not believe, from reading women's sagas on this site, that having a "positive attitude" in advance of the surgery guarantees a positive outcome. Most women whose lives have been devasted by having had a hyst entered the OR with a positive attitude - trusting they would feel better after their hyst, or they wouldn't have scheduled it. Unfortunately, that is not always the case.

I am sending positive thoughts your way for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery!

s
Unread 04-12-2005, 12:00 AM

Hi Gail,

I'm now 8 weeks post op and feel great with just the minor twinge occasionally but compared to before I just can't believe it wasn't suggested earlier.

I was scared like you and everybody else but waiting is really the hardest part as they all say. Unfortunately it's true many of those who have been there done that, don't come on as often simply as they aren't having problems.

My gyn only gave me the go ahead to completely resume my life and yes I was finally allowed to have intercourse. I was dreading this after my repairs but glad to say after some afternoon delight everything went well. I had the best O in ages.

My hubby has been very patient about the wait and was nervous about hurting me.

Wishing you all the best and stay positive it really helps...Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2005, 05:37 AM

Gail,

I know very well the fears you are having. At this time last week I think I had every emotion imaginable to man. It will only be one week tomorrow since my surgery and I feel great!! All the things I feared the most never happened, not even close. It sounds like you are having some fears about the laproscopic part of the surgery. Don't be afraid. I have had two laproscopic abdomenal surgeries within the past year and all is well. The small incisions they make to insert the instruments are not painful and fade very quickly. The most important thing you can do for yourself right now is to prepare so you can get the rest you need the first few weeks after surgery. You will be tired and you will need to listen to your body and rest. The hardest thing for me right now is to not over do it, because I am feeling so good. Now about that sex thing. I am 46 years old, post menopausel and less than one week post surgery. The only complaint I have is that I have to wait at least 5 more weeks to be with my DH. My desire is still there strong as ever and I can't wait to try out the new and improved equipment. No more pain and bleeding with intercourse and DH can relax and not worry about hurting me. It's all good. I plan to post my hyst-story in a few days where I will detail surgery and recovery. You should look it up, it should really calm your fears. Feel free to pm me if you have specific concerns. I would be glad to try to help.

Take Care

Pam
Unread 04-12-2005, 06:26 AM

whilst Bizet woman is correct that a postitive attitude can't guarantee a positive outcome - if your cup is half full rather than half empty it gives you real hope to build on...

I can't ride my bike 30 miles becomes;

I can ride my bike 30 miles in the summer...

You've already stated that you are fit and watch your diet, so that's two big plusses in your favour...

As for your boyfriend being deprived - well there's more than one way to skin a cat (as they say!)
Unread 04-12-2005, 08:03 AM

A positive attitude most certainly will help! My doc even told me so. I think she is pretty much an authority. Yes, we all have different situations going in, but I think we should not think about the minority that have serious complications, and think about the majority that move happily on.....I have talked to many women who have had this done in thier 60's, and they did even better than they could have expected, they gave me encouragement before surgery, they did not try to scare me....It really helped me.

Keep positive, according to my doc, that was important!
Christie
Unread 04-12-2005, 09:27 AM

One thing I noticed also, was that women I knew who had already had this surgery were unanimous in telling me how much better I would feel afterward. I didn't run into a single person who had any problems after surgery. Now, I'm no deluded fool with rose colored glasses, and I'm well aware that complications can and do occur, but I had complete trust in my doctor and a very positive attitude going in, and I think that made a difference. Tomorrow is my six week checkup and I expect to go back to work full time on Thursday. I feel too good to stay home any longer!

Ironically, in all other aspects of my life I'm NOT a positive thinker, but a first class awfulizer. If my DH is half an hour late coming home I already have his funeral planned, stuff like that. My friends laugh at me! So if I can be positive about this, anyone can.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register