What did your adenomyosis feel like? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What did your adenomyosis feel like? What did your adenomyosis feel like?

Unread 06-08-2007, 10:33 PM
What did your adenomyosis feel like?

OMG I feel like I fit in here! Always had problematic periods, even when I was a kid. I remember taking 8-10 aspirin a day. Way before advil. Clotting, with flow so heavy I would have to change tampons with 1/2 hr. Sometimes 2 tampons and heavy pad just to leave the house. I didn't know I had adeno until after my partial hyst. It had to be cut in half to get it out. Had surgery because of history of fibroids. I still have my cervix but now am starting to feel like I did when I has having problems with fibroids. I feel extreme cramping, low back pain and getting that pregnant waddle from feeling full.

But getting that diseased uterus out was the best thing I ever did and have felt great for almost 5 years. So don't hesitate if that's what you're dealing with. Good luck to all having their surgery soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2007, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbears6
Hi all, I'm just starting my 5th week post op! I too dealt with the pain throbbing from my abs down to my kness, heavy periods, ect. It got to the point 4 months before surgery that I would go to work, come home & feel like I wanted to be put out of my misery. I was given vicaden & flexerall to get me through the days. I hated being so "foggy" from the pain killers, but they couldn't get me in any sooner for surgery.

I, like the other post op sisters, have already forgotten what the adneo pain felt like! The post op pain isn't anything compared to the adneo pain........ if that helps any of you look forward to surgery, please do! Because I became soooooo darn inactive for months before the surgery, my swelly belly is still here, but my tummy had started to protrude before surgery too.

When my path came back, it also said "boggy" uterus. I asked my surgeon what was wrong with my uterus......she said, a healthy uterus is supposed to be supple but firm (like an eraser on a pencil), mine was like a huge sponge, filled with blood. The pain I endured came from the uterus constantly contracting to get rid of all the blood.

I am sooooo glad I had the hysterectomy! I had everything removed because I didn't want to deal with the PMDD I experienced along with all the pain.

Hang in there, there is life on the other side ladies!

Huge hugs to all,
Sherri
Hello,

You are really close to my age so I feel alot better. Thank u. I have not had the constant periods. My periods come about every about every three weeks but then I can't do anything at all, I bleed thru everything. My tummy has started to protrude a bit too. I always have had a naturally flat tummy. I am small, never really had to watch my weight, of course I am a non eater when I am stressed. The last two years of my life have been so stressful. I divorced an alcoholic after 13 years, lost everything. I began to drink too much, remarried a really nice man, moved to CA. Then wham about 8 months into here this came. I had quit drinking so much, got control over that, got a wonderful job then the pain hit full force near the end of a facility survey. I would love to know what it is like to raise your children with a man who was their father. I had to run from CA and my kids dad in 1992, he was very abusive and tried to kill me. We have not seen him since. I then married for safety reasons, I was a good wife, never strayed dedicated my whole self even though my whole heart wasn't there it was a stable situation for my kids. Then he began to slid into alcoholism and that became impossible. He was also a nurse and a severe diabetic. I remember one day finding him in the floor and rushing him to the hospital when he had tried on his own to stop drinking. Then it was a nasty divorce of course and he made sure I lost my home, credit, everything I had worked so hard for. Of course I am not whining. Things happen. Out of the whole mess came my current husband who is everything a woman could want then my body failed me. I was three months into my job. I went to the Burbank ER where John Ritter died and found out I had a complex cyst. That went away on it's own. then came fibroids. I have PTSD so I live on Xanax and Vicodin. I am not really in a fog. But the constipation on the vicodin is terrible. My dr wants to take everything out because she said that I am going to go thru menopause anyway soon why not get it over with. Plus I think she is oncerned there may be something else going on. I also have had severe varicose veins from being a nurse and on my feet my whole life so I know that is part of it. I just could not do all that driving (2 hours there and two hours back) and function with all that pain. So, I found this site. I have found so many women who have it alot worse than me. It just really helps to talk about it with others who understand. I went to one dr in the er once who told me that fibroids should not hurt. I was in excruciating pain. I had not even known I had them. The last thing I knew it was a cyst. I got dressed, walked out and went to my own dr who put me in contact with the Gyn who has been a doll. I have never been one to take pain pills but the pain is so bad. It is like someone is stabbing you in your abdomen and your vagina hurts, down your legs. Then bring in a normal 16 year old daughter, calgon take me away. But I am so glad that it will get better. Since you had them all taken out, how are you feeling hormone wise? Being newly married, I do not want to lose my sex drive. My hysterectomy will be total with ovaries and everything coming out plus a bladder splint for cystocyle which has also drove me nuts. It will be thru my abdomin, bikini cut because she wants to see everything. I understand that. I was done having kids years ago. Anyway, I have whined enough. I don't want to sound that way,but I know it does. I read some of these posts, and I feel so much for all of you. Thank U for ur words of encouragment. It means so much. You have relieved alot of my anxiety. As I said before, my first nursing job, was a gyn surgical floor. I remember taking care of alot of women with these types of things. I always made sure they weren't in pain and watched them like a hawke. I love being a nurse. Anyway, thank you all for sharing your experiences with me. I am a people person. I want to support you as well......Hugs...ginger
Unread 06-09-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursediva
Hello,

You are really close to my age so I feel alot better. Thank u. I have not had the constant periods. My periods come about every about every three weeks but then I can't do anything at all, I bleed thru everything. My tummy has started to protrude a bit too. I always have had a naturally flat tummy. I am small, never really had to watch my weight, of course I am a non eater when I am stressed. The last two years of my life have been so stressful. I divorced an alcoholic after 13 years, lost everything. I began to drink too much, remarried a really nice man, moved to CA. Then wham about 8 months into here this came. I had quit drinking so much, got control over that, got a wonderful job then the pain hit full force near the end of a facility survey. I would love to know what it is like to raise your children with a man who was their father. I had to run from CA and my kids dad in 1992, he was very abusive and tried to kill me. We have not seen him since. I then married for safety reasons, I was a good wife, never strayed dedicated my whole self even though my whole heart wasn't there it was a stable situation for my kids. Then he began to slid into alcoholism and that became impossible. He was also a nurse and a severe diabetic. I remember one day finding him in the floor and rushing him to the hospital when he had tried on his own to stop drinking. Then it was a nasty divorce of course and he made sure I lost my home, credit, everything I had worked so hard for. Of course I am not whining. Things happen. Out of the whole mess came my current husband who is everything a woman could want then my body failed me. I was three months into my job. I went to the Burbank ER where John Ritter died and found out I had a complex cyst. That went away on it's own. then came fibroids. I have PTSD so I live on Xanax and Vicodin. I am not really in a fog. But the constipation on the vicodin is terrible. My dr wants to take everything out because she said that I am going to go thru menopause anyway soon why not get it over with. Plus I think she is oncerned there may be something else going on. I also have had severe varicose veins from being a nurse and on my feet my whole life so I know that is part of it. I just could not do all that driving (2 hours there and two hours back) and function with all that pain. So, I found this site. I have found so many women who have it alot worse than me. It just really helps to talk about it with others who understand. I went to one dr in the er once who told me that fibroids should not hurt. I was in excruciating pain. I had not even known I had them. The last thing I knew it was a cyst. I got dressed, walked out and went to my own dr who put me in contact with the Gyn who has been a doll. I have never been one to take pain pills but the pain is so bad. It is like someone is stabbing you in your abdomen and your vagina hurts, down your legs. Then bring in a normal 16 year old daughter, calgon take me away. But I am so glad that it will get better. Since you had them all taken out, how are you feeling hormone wise? Being newly married, I do not want to lose my sex drive. My hysterectomy will be total with ovaries and everything coming out plus a bladder splint for cystocyle which has also drove me nuts. It will be thru my abdomin, bikini cut because she wants to see everything. I understand that. I was done having kids years ago. Anyway, I have whined enough. I don't want to sound that way,but I know it does. I read some of these posts, and I feel so much for all of you. Thank U for ur words of encouragment. It means so much. You have relieved alot of my anxiety. As I said before, my first nursing job, was a gyn surgical floor. I remember taking care of alot of women with these types of things. I always made sure they weren't in pain and watched them like a hawke. I love being a nurse. Anyway, thank you all for sharing your experiences with me. I am a people person. I want to support you as well......Hugs...ginger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Me Too :)

I too was diagnosed with adenomyosis and also fybroids. All this started in December and the pain is terrible. I also have fibromyalgia which has been 100 times worse due to all this. I also get extreme anxiety attacks -- anyone going through this too? My doctors FINALLY suggested hysterectomy and will know next month what kind -- hysterectomy scheduled July 11th. I have been in bed most of the time since Dec and have been trying to get disability from work since then -- no one would believe me as to the pain and anxiety - it was all in my head ha ha now they know its all in my pelvis!!! I am scared but after reading all the posts I know I will make it through the surgery and will be pain free. I haven't been able to enjoy life for so long that once this is all over I am ready. Stress from not being able to work and not being believed has really added to all the issues and the fact that they can't understand why I can't sit for 8 hours, drive 2 hrs to and from work every day when my symptoms are documented -- frustrating dealing with this but luckily I have been able to work on my own from home -- never enough but hopefully I will be a new woman soon. Thanks for all the info and support. I am not so afraid of the surgery now and know I will make it through!
Unread 06-09-2007, 10:23 AM

Fellow Adeno sufferers:
My story is the same, but I have a very happy ending. Since I had my enlarged adeno uterus (twice normal size) removed with the 2 fibroids, my life has changed. I lost 3 inches in my waist just from removing the Uterus. No more hip pain or lower back pain, My blader is back to normal size, and the best part is my BM are normal again. I encourage you to have faith that it will get better. Enlarged uteruses can pose physical problems on others parts of your pelvis that make life miserable. I am thrilled with my results. I would have done it sooner if I knew I would feel this good.
Good Luck and god bless all of you suffering.. it will get better.
Unread 06-09-2007, 10:46 AM

Seagazer,

Thanks for your encouraging words. I am nervous about the hysterectomy, and you made me feel a lot better about my decision.

To all sisters out there, my period is now a week late, and I never really had a period last month. My body goes through the motions with crampping, bloating, weight gain, but nothing happens. I am currently dealing with terrible back pain and sciatica. My surgery is in three weeks. Something strange happened last night though. I wake up a lot to use the restroom at night, and last night I woke up with severe pain and an urgency to urinate. I got to the bathroom with a lot of pain, and there was blood when I went. Everything is fine this morning. No more blood, but still pain in my back. It could have been my period, but usually it is a dark color not bright red like this was. Just wondered if anyone else experienced anything like this.

Dee
Unread 06-09-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algebrateacher
Seagazer,

Thanks for your encouraging words. I am nervous about the hysterectomy, and you made me feel a lot better about my decision.

To all sisters out there, my period is now a week late, and I never really had a period last month. My body goes through the motions with crampping, bloating, weight gain, but nothing happens. I am currently dealing with terrible back pain and sciatica. My surgery is in three weeks. Something strange happened last night though. I wake up a lot to use the restroom at night, and last night I woke up with severe pain and an urgency to urinate. I got to the bathroom with a lot of pain, and there was blood when I went. Everything is fine this morning. No more blood, but still pain in my back. It could have been my period, but usually it is a dark color not bright red like this was. Just wondered if anyone else experienced anything like this.

Dee
RE: Unknown reason for blood.. , You should call your DR to explore reasons for that. If it were Urinary tract related, they can test your blood an you would probably have other symptoms. Remember your uterus is misbehaving and could case a number if symptoms, but Urinary tract is easier to diagnose and treat for symptoms.

Good luck with that.

BTW my last period started 2 days before my surgery, therefore I was in the worst pain and bleeding clots, which also causes Bowel problems like the runs.. So there I was trying to clear out my system 30 minutes priort to surgery, wearing a pad. Came out with no more period. What a great experience that was.

Do check out all new sysmptoms out with your DR if they concern you.
Unread 06-09-2007, 03:16 PM

Hello,

I would be concerned about the blood when you urinated and the back pain. This sounds like something with ur urinary tract. Does it hurt when you urinate? It could be vaginal but I would for sure talk to the dr about it.

I love this site. I am looking forward to having it done now. I had a complete emotional crisis this morning. My hormones are everywhere which means my emotions are. I was never like that before. My daughter decided to have a pool party today. I can barely move around much less entertain a bunch of kids. My son, bless his heart, thank goodness for sons, came over and is supervising for me without even being asked.

Hollywood pastel, I totally understand. Anxiety is so very real. I suffer from severe panic attacks. I have for some time now. It started about 5 years ago to the point that I was hospitalized and in ICU for chestpains. I am hoping that after this maybe...that will calm down too.

We will get thru this together! Hugs.....ginger
Unread 06-09-2007, 04:32 PM

PurseDiva,

Wow, what a strong woman you are! You've been through a ton & keep right on ticking.....are you sure you are not the energizer bunny???? LOL LOL <sherbears gives pursediva a HUGE HUG> I have no doubt that your awesome inner strength will get you through your pre op time and through the hyst itself. Please be aware that you will feel pain after surgery, but it seemed altogether different to me. I guess tolerable, because I knew it would end gradually and never come back! Wahhoooooooooo!

About your hormone question........ I have been put on the Vivelle Dot .1 patch. I'm still VERY early (5weeks) so I can only tell you what I have experinced thus far. The first two weeks after surgery were an emotional rollercoaster! Day 8 was the worst. It was ALL directed at DH, yelling, crying, u name it, I did it. I paid for it too, I hurt so bad in my abs....it was kinda like PMS, I just couldn't help it. That started to get better after week 2....but I was still crying at the drop of a hat at anything...good or bad. LOL

As far as the Libedo......I was at the same time VERY ......hmmmm......how do I say this.........passionate??? LOL The big O was a huge concern to me, and as I read the post op board, it was a big concern to many other sisters too. From what I read on the post op board we have a HUGE SURGE in hormones, good & bad, and that includes the desire to have an "O" right? lol I finally got the nerve up to "please myself" because I was so worried that part of my life would be affected .........but it was just like before surgery and I was pleased, to say the least! Please check with your DR about this first though okay?? There are a ton of stitches and healing going on inside & out, don't screw it up for a little pleasure!

Everybody's different, so just go at your own pace, listen to your body, and follow DR's orders. We have all endured enough pain because of our uterus.....please don't do anything that will screw up your healing k?

Seagazer,

I am sooooooooo very envious that you LOST 3 inches in your waist this soon after your surgery! I am still trying to deal with my swelly belly not going away fast enough! LUCKY LUCKY YOU! After all you've been through, to lose the pain & some inches......who wouldn't want to have a hysterectomy! You go girl!

Good Luck to the rest of the post op sisters.........so far it has been worth it for me! No bleeding in four weeks, and soon enough the surgical pain will be gone! There is HOPE on the other side ladies! Hang in there K?

Huge Hugs to all,

Sherri
Unread 06-09-2007, 04:35 PM

You know ladies, I feel like such a putz, I've been putting up with my symptoms since about 6 months post TL. My doctor mentioned a slight "thickening" probably due to endo, but said not to worry and come back for annual check ups or if I start having symptoms. I never went back until last Wednesday (the 6th of June). After admonishing me for skipping out on him for four years, we discussed my symptoms, and he started my pelvic exam and before he even removed the spectulum he was talking hysterectomy, and mentioned it should be "very soon". He then went to pushing on me and I was crying before it was done and he looked me dead in the eye and said, you won't skip out on me this time.

So, here I am, 10 days til my trip to the castle...and reading what all of you ladies have gone through and the ones who've come out the other side feeling so much better and wonder why I let it get so bad?

So thank you all for being here when I finally came to my senses.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register