Not Scheduled Scared to have surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared to have surgery Scared to have surgery

Unread 07-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Scared to have surgery

Hi, I'm a newbie and scared of what has suddenly happened. I'm currently going though peri-menopause and earlier this week had an "episode". I have had extremely heavy periods for a couple of years, but this time the bleeding would not stop. I had to make a trip to the emergency room. I do have a history of anemia and had a sonogram that showed 2 large tumors in my uterus. I received a transfusion of 3 units, which brought my blood count up to 7.8, had a d & C and a biopsy. The results of the biopsy I will get on my appointment on the 18th and will schedule a hysterectomy at that time. Was told I would need quite a large incision because of the size of the tumors and possibly not be able to return to work til after labor day. I'm to have the surgery before my next cycle as the dr. is concerned this may happen again next month. If anyone has any advice PLEASE SHARE, I'm frightened to no end . I've never had surgery before, was supposed to start a new job in August, my mind is spinning and I have no idea what to do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Re: Scared to have surgery

Awe. Dont be scared. I am sure you are in good hands. I have had a couple of surgeries. A C section and kidney surgery. It's painful when you wake up. But they will medicate you for it. You arent supposed to suffer so if you are hurting too bad tell them and they can adjust your meds. Plan to take it easy for a while and have help lined up for household chores and errands. Put your feet up and do something you enjoy. Take a nap, read a book, rent those movies your dying to see. Look forward to not having that monthly monster anymore! Make sure you listen to the dr's advice and ask any questions and always call if your concerned. just remember.... it goes by rather quick. You will feel back to yourself in no time. Probably feeling better than ever having rid your body of such chaos. We are here for you!!!

My surgery is Aug 18. Im anxious too even though i have had similar surgeries before.

HUGS!!!
Unread 07-15-2011, 09:57 AM

I'm sorry that you're feeling so frightened. It seems like everything is piling up on you all at once!

I had my hysterectomy 2 days ago, and I'm recovering nicely. I know that you said that you've never had surgery before, and that's scary all by itself! But, rest assured that it is nowhere NEAR as bad as your fear would have you believe.

I can give you a brief rundown of what my experience was like. They hooked me up to an IV, and gave me a dose of Verced. I remember being wheeled into the operating room, and moving over to the table. They gave me oxygen, and the next thing I knew, I was waking up in recovery. It was all done before I even knew it started!

It's very easy to get overwhelmed. I am a worrier and "plan ahead-er" so I tend to get myself feeling frightened and overwhelmed very easily. But I try to remind myself to take things one step at a time. I try to focus on what I am doing at that moment, and nothing else. It really does help to slow down my mind when it wants to run away with me.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing, and know that we are all here for you ,whenever you need us. Take care of yourself, okay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2011, 10:00 AM

Thank you, I feel better already. It's just so stressful, all this waiting and not knowing. It's comforting that I'm not alone, as a matter a fact it seems that a lot of women on the same boat . I hope it's a cruise or something and not a refuge raft!
Unread 07-15-2011, 10:40 AM

I have a question? Did you feel like you needed a pillow against your stomach when you walked after your LSH?
Unread 07-15-2011, 06:59 PM

I put a pillow between me and the seatbelt in the car on the ride home. I used a Pillow Pet, because they're a bit smaller than regular bed pillows, and much cuter!
A pillow also comes in handy when I have to sneeze or cough. I use it to apply gentle counterpressure, and it does help quite a bit!
Unread 07-15-2011, 08:55 PM

I know you are scared. This is major surgery and that is very scary! I have a few suggestions that might help. This site has a wealth of information available to you and you should take complete advantage of it! My first suggestion is to check out the Pre-Op section at the top of the pages (in purple with the checkpoints and such). It will give you lots of questions to ask the dr so you can be as informed as possible and get a good idea of what to expect. One big suggestion I personally have is to bring up any pre-existing medical or mental health issues so you have a feel of how your dr feels they will impact your recovery or if they expect you to deal with that with your other drs. The second place I would suggest is checking the Pre-Op Articles listed unter the Articles section (where the forums and support tabs are). The last is the Hints section at the top of the pre-op forum when you get your date and need to get pre-paired for both before and after surgery. I'm not goin to lie and say this is a piece of cake. It's major suregy and while it may seem common now a days, it's still scary and emotional. You have definately come to the right place though. And if you and your dr decide that this is the best decision for you, you will have alot of understanding and support here. Hystersisters rocks! The love and support you get here is unparrelled and will definately save your sanity while you go thru all of this. I wish you the best of luck with your decision and hope that you have a wonderful out-come!
Unread 07-16-2011, 10:13 AM

You guys are wonderful, thanks so much for listening .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register