Scheduled TAH 16 Days and counting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

16 Days and counting 16 Days and counting

Unread 01-08-2013, 03:30 AM
16 Days and counting

Got home last night from the consult. Total travel time on the train was 3.5 hours. I decided that it would be best to drive down for the surgery.

My doc wanted to schedule me for this Thursday, but that just wasn't enough time to plan and take care of stuff. Soooo we are heading back down on the 22nd to be there for pre-op early on the 23rd, then surgery on the 24th.

Due to prior surgeries, she will need to do a vertical incision rather than a horizontal. I was really hoping for a horizontal, but guess it doesn't matter that much since I don't wear bikinis and don't walk around showing my belly Just hoping it'll heal nicely, and there won't be a nasty scar.

I'm not as nervous as one would think. Right now, I'm trying to figure out who is going to take care of my cats while I'm gone, making lists of things to bring down, gotta get the car in for new tires before the trip, call my school to get the ball rolling on my medical LOA, make sure my BF takes time off of work, etc. Once I get all the details finished, I'm sure that's when the anxiety over the actual surgery will set in.

I must say I got a lot of ideas from other sisters about questions to ask, things to bring and have at home, and very much enjoyed the funny post-op tales. Bless you all. I'm glad to have you along on this journey with me...not only those who are going through it now, but also those who have gone through it already and share your wisdom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2013, 06:07 AM
Re: 16 Days and counting

It sounds like you have many things under control. I pray that the weather also cooperates for your drive. Be well.

biggums
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:07 AM

Hi there,

I had a vertical incision about 4 weeks ago and I seem to be doing very well even compared to sisters who had less "invasive" procedures. My incision is approx. 6 inches, finishing in my navel.

Just be careful not to carry any weight afterwards, and one tip I can give you is don't be tempted to bend over to pick anything off the floor, not even a piece of paper. I did this unthinkingly in the hospital, trying to pick up my pen, and it was extremely painful!

After a couple of uncomfortable nights at home I started using a pillow to rest my tummy against in bed (I sleep on my side) and that helped a lot.

There's no right way to feel. You may be very nervous when the time arrives, but maybe not. This site is such a help at that nervous time, pre-op. Since coming home I have felt very positive and not at all sentimental about losing my uterus. Just glad to feel so much better. But other sisters feel sad and empty. Just accept the way you feel.

All the best,

Fox xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2013, 01:44 PM

Thank you Biggums...I hope the weather cooperates as well. It's going to be a long enough trip as it is

I'm so glad to hear you're recovering well Foxx...I've seen so many positive recovery stories which is very encouraging.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register